Coke Zero? WTF is in that thing?

Options
I'm a coke fiend from way back, so in a bid to wean myself off coke I've downgraded to coke zero. But I'm also marginally perplexed by MFP's database listing for it: A 600ml bottle has 2 calories and 1 carb?? Whut?

I know it's a bit of a can of worms in terms of urban myths and everything, but does anyone have any informed knowledge about what's actually in coke zero? To be honest I don't avoid products because they have "chemicals and preservatives", so that side of things doesn't worry me.

Replies

• Trotters8
    Options
    I'm no expert but I think they have lots of caffeine and not really sure what else. Have heard that they can cause white spots on the brain.

Nothing wrong with Water though ;)
  • skinimin
    skinimin Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    they have used a chemical sugar substitute which is like 400 (i forget the exact number) times sweeter than sugar, which means they dont need to use as much of it as they do sugar, which of course means less calories.
  • HogSandwich
    HogSandwich Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    oh right, this makes sense. not too worried about the caffeine, I'm pretty impervious to coke caffeine. Not coffee, though, that makes me feel like I'm looking through time and space.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Not avoiding chemicals? Then you need not worry about the Aspartame in Coke Zero.

Enjoy!
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I don't know what yours has in it, but mine usually has a taste of Captain Morgan.
    It's the closest thing to regular old Coke that I've found.
  • SocialRopes
    SocialRopes Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    i don't care what's in it -- it's delicious!
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Don't know what's in it but it makes me nauseated and I get a headache. Can't be good for me
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I think there are a few entries in the database that are incorrect.
    From the nutrition information on a 2 liter bottle - 0 calories , 30 mg sodium
  • dickster1961
    dickster1961 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't know what yours has in it, but mine usually has a taste of Captain Morgan.

love this^
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Don't know what's in it but it makes me nauseated and I get a headache. Can't be good for me

Aspartame amount in one can is very small compared to RDI. You may want to get checked for phenylketonuria as phenylalanine is a by product of aspartame when digested and your symptoms suggest a sensitivity to that. Unless you have migraine and it is getting triggered.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Aspartame amount in one can is very small compared to RDI. You may want to get checked for phenylketonuria as phenylalanine is a by product of aspartame when digested and your symptoms suggest a sensitivity to that. Unless you have migraine and it is getting triggered.

Or maybe the RDI is wrong ...

Given the number of complaints attributed to Aspartame consumption maybe this is worth considering?

But, hey, the OP doesn't care about chemicals so the point is moot ...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    The FDA guidelines for calories is that something with less than 5 calories per serving can be labeled a zero calorie food.

For instance, a 20 oz bottle of Mountain Dew will say that it has 10 calories per bottle. But that one bottle is technically 2.5 servings. 10 divided by 2.5 = 4 calories per serving, which is less than 5. So while it might be considered "zero" calories per serving, it's still 10 per bottle.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Or maybe the RDI is wrong ...

Given the number of complaints attributed to Aspartame consumption maybe this is worth considering?

But, hey, the OP doesn't care about chemicals so the point is moot ...

RDI can vary but not by what you think. In Europe it's set at 40 mg/kg whereas in the US, FDA set it at 50 mg/kg. One can has around 1/15 of the daily total for a 120lbs woman. Drinking one can and getting symptoms is not normal reaction by any means, it hints to some sensitivity.
  • halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options

^^ haha....mine usually has some jack daniels, or whipped vodka. ;)
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    i don't know, but i like it anyways lol
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I like it! I'm not a soda drinker ever except for when I'm using it as a mixer. One of my favorite mixed drinks is called "Dracula's Kiss" and is made from black cherry vodka, Coke and grenadine. Is it healthy? Not so much, but it's damn tasty, and a fun drink to make for Halloween parties.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

^ Great post.

And on a side note, there's more phenylalanine in chicken then a can of diet coke. Dosage is key.
  • marinebiologist_girl
    Options
    Is there no nutritional data on the bottle? In the UK you legally have to have some and that would tell you what's in it...

I got this from the Coca Cola website:
    Carbonated water, colour (caramel E150d), phosphoric acid, sweeteners (aspartame, acesulfame-K), flavourings (including caffeine), acidity regulator (E331). Contains a source of phenylalanine.
    Per a 330ml bottle:
    Calories 1.0 (<1% daily)
    Sugars 0g
    Fat 0g
    Saturates 0g
    Salt 0.1g (<1% daily)
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options

Same here but mine Is Captain Morgan's Black Rum.
  • andreamelo1
    andreamelo1 Posts: 161 Member
    Options

Nothing wrong with Water though ;) <
    THIS