Student Teacher/Teachers

Options
Hello all!

I am scheduled to be a student teacher this Fall. For those of you who have already experienced this: I know that at least the first three blocks (80 mins each) of the day are filled for sure. Do you find that snacking in between helps you or hinders you?

I was just wondering how your day goes as far as snacking and lunch goes so I can try to plan accordingly.

Any info would be a big help!

Thank you!

Replies

• mhuch110
    mhuch110 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher as well, but not sure I can offer much help! My lunch is scheduled from 10 - 10:45. Ugh...too early for lunch food! So I always have to snack later in the afternoon, around 1:30 during my prep. I just started mfp this summer so it'll be interesting to see what I do now when I go back!

Good luck to you during your student teaching!!
  • blackjax007
    Options
    I teach 6th grade and they eat very early (10:30ish). I drink a lot of water during the day, usually filling up my liter bottle between classes. We have to walk the students down to the cafeteria and back again, so that doesn't leave much time for eating. I usually will eat a small snack at "lunch" time and eat my lunch during my planning. They don't have a microwave in our cafeteria - go figure, so its easier to just wait for my planning period.
  • enliven_mal
    enliven_mal Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hey! I am also a teacher. We have balanced days (3 100 minute blocks with breaks in between each) which I find actually helps me with my portion control and my schedule.

I eat breakfast at home, and something small before class starts (maybe), then a protein heavy snack at first break, lunch during second break, and an after school snack. Then dinner!

I have a huge appetite so I find that I absolutely need to eat something during each break we have.

I drink a ton of water too, which I finds help curb any potential hunger I have. Whenever a student asks to go fill their water bottle, I send mine along too. :)

Have fun this year, and remember to beg, borrow and steal everything you can!!
  • matmismel
    matmismel Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I teach high school students, but sadly lunch is still pretty early. Last year my prep was around 9:30 and lunch was around 11 so there was always time to snack, which I find helpful. If I skip anything, it's the morning snack because it is so close to lunch, but I always eat breakfast, lunch, and an afternoon snack once the kids leave. If not, I am starving by the time I get home (around 5 or 6) and that leads to bad eating for me.
  • Elliott49
    Options
    Definitely snack throughout the day. Sometimes I bring apples and peanut butter, other times almonds, or a greek yogurt. It helps keep your energy up! Good luck with student teaching......it's great!
  • tara_seay
    tara_seay Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    i am a self-contained special education teacher for elementary school...Our lunch is at 11:30, and we usually have a snack time about 9:00am and 2:00 when they wake up from nap... so i'm pretty good balanced.
  • DanceMom_2
    Options
    Thanks for all the info and tips!
  • Dozrzz
    Dozrzz Posts: 245
    Options
    I am a high school teacher. We have lunch around 12:30. I try not to snack during the morning, but mostly because admin doesn't want us to! haha They say it is not professional. But I do try to drink tons of water. The kids actually try to use that to their advantage. They will always bribe me, "Hey Ms. Miller, If I fill your water bottel for you, can I go to my locker?" Lol Usually I let them! And then I get my water filled. Plus I have told my classes before that (for example) my goal is to "finish this water bottle by the end of class" then they will remind me every so often to have a drink. Gotta love high school! :-)