Meal timing

Options
Hey everyone--
So I am having problems with getting too busy to eat during the day that I have to shove a whole bunch in at the end of the day. Lately I have been waking up nauseous and with stomach cramps and don't know if it is from having to eat so much so late at night. So I was wondering if it really is best to eat every 2 to 3 hours. Has anyone had success with this? I currently do three meals and three snacks per a dieticians advice but just struggle to get it all in. Any help would be great :)
Jess

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone--
    So I am having problems with getting too busy to eat during the day that I have to shove a whole bunch in at the end of the day. Lately I have been waking up nauseous and with stomach cramps and don't know if it is from having to eat so much so late at night. So I was wondering if it really is best to eat every 2 to 3 hours. Has anyone had success with this? I currently do three meals and three snacks per a dieticians advice but just struggle to get it all in. Any help would be great :)
    Jess

You should absolutely structure your meal timing, meal size, and meal frequency around personal preference. This includes how you feel, how you perform in the gym, and how it allows you to stick to your diet plan.

From a fat loss standpoint it doesn't make any significant difference.
  • Tricialew32
    Tricialew32 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    The main advantage to structuring meal times is psychological. It helps me to plan structured meals ONLY because I am the kind of person who, if I go too long without food....I'll binge when I finally get some and not stop before I'm too full. I did that the past 2 days and ate more than I normally would have at the end of the day. I am actually down a pound this morning but I don't officially weigh in until tomorrow.

That said....I like structure, but when it can't happen...it doesn't hurt my overall progress or ability to workout, it just messes with my head.
  • nataliesouth
    nataliesouth Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey, I eat 6 very small meals a day. About every 3 hours. It is good to plan the day b4 but if you can't that's okay. This is my schedule usually : Breakfast 7, snack 10, lunch 1, snack 4, dinner 7 , snack 10. It really depends on when you eat breakfast as to what your schedule will be for that day. Now when I eat a snack I don't eat chips, little debbies, etc. I eat maybe half ham sandwich, 20 cheeze its, 5 vanilla wafers, 1 ind. cup applesauce, etc. Not all together LOL. Each one represents a snack serving. Ther other 3 meals should be between 300 & 400 calories. You need to eat at least 1200 calories a day and I try not to go over 1500 but that rarely happens. Don't try to cram it all in at the night meal or you're gonna gain weight.

Also, I do the Leslie Sansone walk at home dvd's. They are 30 min. in length and really easy to do. The best time to exercise is first thing before breakfast if you can. That way the calories you burn are from the day b4. It is okay to exercise after you eat but it will take off from what you have just eaten b4 it will work on stored fat or prev. calories you've taken in. So it will take more exercise to start burning those calories.

I have lost 7 pounds in 2 weeks. This is my 3rd week and I weigh myself on Monday morning. I know I've already lost inches cause my shirts are not as tight now.

So with all this said smaller meals broken up over the course of the day does work. I hope this helps.
  • Tricialew32
    Tricialew32 Posts: 96 Member
    Options

So with all this said smaller meals broken up over the course of the day does work. I hope this helps.

But so does 3 meals and even 2 large meals.

(I'm not disagreeing with small meals because I do that a LOT - it's just not the end-all-be-all answer to anything and it's really inconvenient for people with office jobs).

Don't fret too much about when you eat (the stress will hurt you more). Eat well and eat when you need to.
    If it's hurting your stomach to eat later, try packing some snack foods at night to take with you during the day. I bought a backpack cooler at Target and I take that thing everywhere. I always have snacks or cold water.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone--
    Jess

You should absolutely structure your meal timing, meal size, and meal frequency around personal preference. This includes how you feel, how you perform in the gym, and how it allows you to stick to your diet plan.

From a fat loss standpoint it doesn't make any significant difference.

^This. He's dead-on as usual.
  • sabinavaughan
    sabinavaughan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You definatley should be eating more often during the day.....your body needs fuel all day not at the end. Could be the reason fror being sick. in the morning. I know its hard to fit it in so I make a point of having things I can eat while I'm on the go.

I ate like you all the time before..mainly evening when I'm starving...thats how I gained all my weight..now its 3 meals and 2 to 3 snacks per day (but I am also diabetic so I need to eat regularly to keep my sugars steady)

Good luck!!!
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. It's hard for me because I have a history of anorexia and really just "forget" to eat. Then I am at the end of the day and know if I don't get my calories in my nutritionist will be pissed. All in all it doesn't make for a good night. Plus I have this whole idea that you have to go to bed an hour after you eat and since I have 6-7am days it makes the time crunch even worse....
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    So if I start eating at 8 am let's say and can't eat lunch till 1 pm how should I do this?
    8 am -B-fast
    1 pm- Lunch

And where do I put the rest (dinner and three snacks)
  • MissItalianPrincess
    Options
    You could try this:

Breakfast- 8
    Snack- 10:30
    Lunch- 1
    Snack- 4
    Dinner- 7
    Snack- 9 or 10. Depending on when you go to bed.

You can play around with those other snacks because I don't know what time you usually eat dinner. Hope that helps a bit. :-)
  • Thyzel
    Thyzel Posts: 1
    Options
    Best is to eat regularly and cut your portions in half... Your stomach will shrink and it will get easier..
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Or it means it works for you. For me, there is no way I could control my intake if I ate that often. It would lead to one long, all day, binge. There is also data regarding how eating less often can help increase insulin sensitivity but why split hairs. The main issue is being able to stick to your plan.

For you, and some others, that is eating more often. No metabolic advantage but helps you to keep from overeating.

For me, and some others, that is eating less often. No metabolic advantage but helps me to keep from overeating.

It is always dangerous to universalize from our own anecdotal experience. It's all personal preference.
  • GaidenJade
    GaidenJade Posts: 171
    Options
    I completely get being worried about getting all your calories in. At my work I often don't get my lunch until 1. So I'm starving by the time it comes. So normally I will have a small cup of yogurt right before I punch in to help. It's also a great snack and easy to have on the go.

I might have a snack before supper, but most of the time I don't. It depends on if you're hungry. If it's tough eating so much at night then make your lunch more calorie dense. And make a point to remember to eat. It's just like remembering to drink water all day and lots of it. Same thing. Drink water and eat. Two basic things to live.

You'll eventually find what works best. I would start lessening your food intake at supper though, if you are waking up with stomach cramps. Gotta plan to succeed. :flowerforyou:
  • josieslow
    Options
    I keep Luna bars in my purse or my work bag, so if I don't have time for a full meal, I can at least have something. I've tried several different brands and Luna is my favorite. The chocolate-dipped coconut ones taste like Samoa Girl Scout cookies. :) Also, for people who have a sweet tooth, these are great!
  • viad25720
    viad25720 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am using a dietician, and she suggested to me not to go over 4 hours without eating anything during my day, and try not to eat too late because likely you won't be active to use those calories you consumed late. I guess maybe carry something small with you in your purse even, trail mix, nuts something you can keep on you and scarf down on the way to a bathroom break :-)
  • MissItalianPrincess
    Options
    I keep Luna bars in my purse or my work bag, so if I don't have time for a full meal, I can at least have something. I've tried several different brands and Luna is my favorite. The chocolate-dipped coconut ones taste like Samoa Girl Scout cookies. :) Also, for people who have a sweet tooth, these are great!

^^^^this!!!

Mmmmmmmmm Luna bars...I always have some on hand. They are perfect for that sweet craving and good to help boost calories/pick-me-up for the day!
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Try to make your snacks so that they're in your purse or something so they're easy to grab while you're on the go. Since you're up early, why not eat earlier? I'm up at 4 or 5AM most mornings so I structure my meals like this: 530AM, 9AM, 12PM, 3PM, 6PM.