Options
2»

Replies

• MJEekhoff
    Options
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Liquorice is apparently high in iron. And Bombay Mix. I read that the other day on an NHS leaflet about iron - a friend of mine is anaemic and looking to increase her iron.
  • awillkies
    awillkies Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    hi i've been veggie too for a very long time (i'm semi now though i eat fish). here is what i know (actually from my son's peditrician bc he had some low iron levels too):

vegetables: broccoli, collard greens, kale, sweet potatoes, white potatoes, spinach, beans (the latter 2 being excellent sources)
    cereals: cream of wheat, oatmeal, farina, wheat germ, bread, molasses (1 tbsp black strap)
    fruits: prunes, raisins, dates, apricots, peaches
    other: eggs, tuna, beanut butter (1 tbsp)

hope that helps! good luck!
  • Veronicacaca
    Veronicacaca Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Oh also- I try and only take the supplement if I can't manage to eat enough iron one day or if I'm on my period.....I agree with what some people above....if you have too much it can give you a bad stomach!! :)

I guess if you can manage to have enough naturally it's bound to be better for you :)
  • DavidYates79
    DavidYates79 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Blackstrap molasses. 1 tbsp is 50cals, has 20 percent RDI of Iron, and loaded with other minerals. I mix it in to a glass of milk and my son thinks it's chocolate milk. I get a 32oz container for $2.50.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Unlike what others suggest, iron is not to be taken as a supplement OTC. Do not use iron supplements without the advice of your physician after a blood test for iron levels.

Good to know. Thank you. My wife and daughter both have Iron definiciencies so I found this interesting. Especially about the Indian spice. I will look into that.

Usually doctors refrain from supplements if the deficiency isn't too dreadful and try to fix it with appropriate diet. Low iron levels may be related to lack of enough vitamin C as well, since vit. C enhances iron absorption.

Liver, lentils, dried fruit, even for vegetarians or vegan, the choices are plenty despite the lower absorption of non-heme iron. Good luck to your wife and daughter :)
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Here's the leaflet I found: http://www.telangiectasia.co.uk/HHT Iron.pdf

I see that Marmite is another good source. And dried apricots and raisins.

Also, the best way for your body to absorb iron from vegetable sources is to take it with vitamin C. That is why it's often advised to take iron tablets with a glass of orange juice.
  • jillianlovesyarn
    jillianlovesyarn Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The iron from meat is the best absorbed iron. The one from plants, not so much. Even if spinach has a lot, it still doesn't work as well as the one from beef. :(
    Who cares whether heme iron is better absorbed? It's not an option for vegetarians.

Quinoa is another good source. So is blackstrap molasses. I'm not sure what your cooking situation is but cooking in a cast iron pan also boosts the iron content of food. Just as Vitamin C boosts absorption, calcium can hinder absorption so be mindful of eating lot of calcium when you're eating iron.

As far as gentler supplements I've heard great things about Floradix and Floralvital (food-based, same company, one is gluten-free). It's what I would have taken during pregnancy except that my iron levels never got low enough to need supplementation. It really should be possible to do it through diet alone, though. Since I'm vegan, while I was pregnant I generally ate a couple cups of beans a day, some tofu, some quinoa and greens and that got me well above the recommended amount during pregnancy which is higher than the normal recommendation for women. With a little bit of planning you should be fine without the supplement provided you don't already have anemia.
  • pipsqueak12
    pipsqueak12 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I would suggest trying to get your intake of iron naturally.
    I have been iron deficient (anaemic) for a long time, 5+ years, and have prescribed iron, but as someone else mentioned it plays havoc with my stomach too, to the point where i stopped taking it completely (i had exams and did want it to interfere).

I havent taken it for over a year now (i know its bad) but by eating iron rich foods, eggs and beans, mainly, for breakfast and vit C to help absorbtion, i have managed to greatly reduce the severity of my deficiency (through blood test results).

I would strongly advise see your doctor about it though, too much iron can to detrimental too!
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    hi i've been veggie too for a very long time (i'm semi now though i eat fish). here is what i know (actually from my son's peditrician bc he had some low iron levels too):

vegetables: broccoli, collard greens, kale, sweet potatoes, white potatoes, spinach, beans (the latter 2 being excellent sources)
    cereals: cream of wheat, oatmeal, farina, wheat germ, bread, molasses (1 tbsp black strap)
    fruits: prunes, raisins, dates, apricots, peaches
    other: eggs, tuna, beanut butter (1 tbsp)

hope that helps! good luck!

This is a great list. I am not vegetarian but don't eat meat very often and I rely on dark greens, beans, eggs, and nuts for a lot of my iron. I would add that lentils are also great, more iron than beans. Quinoa, tofu and tempeh are pretty good iron sources, too. As others have mentioned, for the best iron absorption you should eat vitamin C-rich food with or soon after/before your high iron meal. You should also avoid calcium and coffee and tea (tannins) within a couple hours of eating your iron-rich foods because they can inhibit absorption. If you google something like "vegetarian iron sources" you can find a lot of information about this.