Declining performance running

Options
(I already posted this is the Long Distance Runners group)

I averaged around 11:18 per mile for my longer runs (8.5 and 9.5 miles), and then then last two have been bad - 12:18 and 13 (both 10 miles runs). Also my during the week runs are averaging around 5.5 MPH instead of around 6 MPH for the last week or so. Trying to figure out why I am going downhill!! This last week I have been a little under in calories (I am on maintenance), and probably not getting quite enough sleep. Maybe that is all it is. I am thinking I should scale back the running this next week (this week I did 21 miles total), and give my body a rest. It is hard to do, since I always want to push and do more each week, but it is not worth it if I am feeling so crappy on my runs.

I have my first 1/2 marathon on September 29th, so I am way ahead of schedule on my long runs, as far as most training plans go. I run 3 days a week (4 days last week), and do kettlebell workouts 3 days a week. I am mainly just hoping to finish the half and have fun, but I wouldn't mind doing it in under 2:30.

Any advice?

Replies

• runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need a break and more calories. Is this your first half? As you increase the miles, you need to eat more. Are you cross training at all?
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    No advice, just some admiration. I hope one day to run 10 miles! :)
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need a break and more calories. Is this your first half? As you increase the miles, you need to eat more. Are you cross training at all?

I do eat back all my exercise calories, but I have continued to lose a little weight on maintenance, and like I said, I have been a little under this week for some reason. Eating more is generally not a problem for me - I usually net around 1600, but this week it looks like I have been netting closer to 1400 to 1500. Not a huge difference, but since it seems that "maintenance" is actually still a deficit for me, more than it seems, I guess.

I do kettlebell workouts 3 times a week, plus the occasional bike ride or swim.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Not getting enough sleep can indeed make a huge difference; it's amazing how a couple hours off can screw up your whole day. Also, how frequently are you doing these runs? If you're not allowing for adequate rest in between, then your body is simply going to be tired already when you start out. It sounds like you could use a rest day or two.
  • curlytop89
    curlytop89 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    1600 calories seems low for maintenence, but you may be a petite person. You may be underestimating the calories you burned, but I think you are right, eating a bit more and taking it easy will probably help. I have done that myself, had some good training times (for me) then gone through a period where I feel uncomfortable while running and can't seem to get on pace and stay there and then feel exhausted after. Usually it is poor sleep and poor quality of food. Even though I am eating plenty of calories the types of food I eat aren't always the best. Make sure you are getting plenty of protein, probably more than what your goal on the diary says if you are working out a lot. Your muscles need something to recover with and don't for get the health carbs for energy. What about a vitamin? Just some ideas.

This is the nurse in me coming out, but if you continue to lose weight without trying to and are eating well, you should probably have a check up and let your doctor know incase it is not just "overdoing it".

I am now determined to do another half myself. I have a very busy schedule right now, so I wasn't sure if I was going to, but I am gonna "just do it". A girl from my church wants to do it to, so hopefully I will stay on track. I am trying to get my half time under 2 hours. It was 2:02 last year. So frustrating.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I'm getting ready to start training for a half.... the most I've done before this is a 10k..... So yea, I'm guessing you need to eat more, fuel your body!
  • LennyInFlorida
    Options
    I've noticed my running distance and speed picks up the day after I eat more than I should haha. Perhaps, it's our bodies way of telling us we need more to fuel our intense workouts?
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I'm also training for a half and I totally get you. I had a week (a couple weeks back) where my runs were a good minute/mile slower than usual. It was an off week and I got out of it. Today's 8:40/mi 5 mile pace run ended up being an 8:00/mi 5 mile pace run! The body is an amazing thing, and if you keep fueling it, it will keep going. Take a rest day and start again. Good luck!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Eat more!
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'd say its all of those things. Even 100 or 150 calories can make a big difference if you average about 1600 usually.

Definitely not a bad idea to take a couple of days off to give your body rest! You'll probably see even better times after giving yourself that than usual.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Has the weather/temperature been higher this week than in the past? This can certainly affect performance, more than people realize.

Also, in your training, are you cutting back mileage every 3-4 weeks? If not, it might time. Most good training plans will cut mileage back 30-40% every 3-4 weeks as a recovery week. I would also cut back the kettlebell workout to 2 workouts during that recovery week. This lets the body recoup/repair itself without sacrificing fitness.
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Rest days are a necessary evil.

Have you incorporated interval training and tempo runs? They do wonders for speed.
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Has the weather/temperature been higher this week than in the past? This can certainly affect performance, more than people realize.

I was coming here to say this!

my thunder ... you stoleded it!!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I've noticed my running distance and speed picks up the day after I eat more than I should haha. Perhaps, it's our bodies way of telling us we need more to fuel our intense workouts?

Happens to me all the time. So i don't feel too guilty over pizza or pasta anymore.
    I also feel a noticeable boost in energy if i take 2 days off instead of just one.
    Then there are the obvious reasons, temperature, road surface, worn shoes...

If you are netting 1600 calories, even with all the training, that seems a bit off for maintenance.
    I eat 1500-1600 on a deficit (or should be anyways). But then, it all depends on how tall/big/active/etc you are. I'd check that number again though if I were you. Maybe even increase it a bit extra just whilst you are working up to the half.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I definitely run slower when it is warmer - I get my runs in pretty early, but it can still be warm and humid at 6am. I run on Tues, Thurs and Saturdays, so I do get rest days.

My original training plan was to scale back mileage every 2-3 weeks, but I keeping pushing for more. Obviously that is a mistake!! Looking back at my diary, I think I am seeing a pattern - most Fridays before a "good" long run, I am going over my calories by 200 or more.

So more food and scale back every few weeks!

As far as maintenance goes, I am 5'5 1/2 and weigh around 130 (went on maintenance 3 1/2 months ago at 135), and Sedentary level of activity on fat2fitradio.com and this site too (I think) is around 1600. But I am obviously a little more than sedentary in my normal life since I am still losing slowly. I wouldn't mind losing a tiny bit more -- I am around 22-23% BF, but I am pretty happy where I am, so I will probably up the base calories soon.
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    bump
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Lack of sleep slows me down. I'm also slower at certain points in my menstrual cycle. Might well be either of these factors?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options

I was coming here to say this!

my thunder ... you stoleded it!!

Mine too, but you can keep my thunder because I'm sick of the storms!

The weather in PA has been really muggy the past few weeks.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Weather and lack of sleep can be factors, but this also sounds like good old fashioned overtraining. I would take a "diet break" (i.e. eat at maintenance, not at a deficit), and cut way back on the runs for a week. Maybe do some shorter tempo /interval type workouts.