Is 115 too low for me?

Options
Hey guys! Ive decided that I want a goal weight of around 115 to 120. Of course, if 125 or 120 makes me happy I wont strive for 115 yada yada but its nice to have a goal in mind.

I'm female, 18 years old, 5'3", and started this weightloss 2 weeks ago at 149.5 lbs (chubby at this weight). I was also chubby but not as mch at 135 lbs
I have a medium frame and broad shoulders.

Do you think 115 is a reasonable weight for me or would that be too thin?
(BMI says healthy weight range is anywhere from 104-140)

Replies

• FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    No I dont think it is too low. I am 5'3" and I weigh 110 I wont go below that but 110 looks good on my frame =)
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    You won't know until you are there, that's what I feel for me anyway. No one can tell you what is right for you, I mean ball-park yes but every, body is different. You sound smart so I'm guessing when you get to your goal, right goal, you won't be worried about the number on the scale. It will be about shape, and how you feel:drinker: :drinker:
  • MarkAWhipple
    MarkAWhipple Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor, hon. People on here can make a guess in comparison to themselves but only your doctor has your complete info.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    You already know that's in the healthy range, and that's all we can tell you. We have no way of knowing what would be best for you specifically.
  • sspen1
    sspen1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have heard a general rule of thumb for women is 100 lbs for the first 5 feet and 5 pounds for each additional inch so 115 would be fine for you at 5'3".
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    You won't know until you are there, that's what I feel for me anyway. No one can tell you what is right for you, I mean ball-park yes but every, body is different. You sound smart so I'm guessing when you get to your goal, right goal, you won't be worried about the number on the scale. It will be about shape, and how you feel:drinker: :drinker:

She beat me to it. Same here.

you won't know till you get there. Especially as body recomp happens. Not just "weight loss"

I am currently 116 and I've been this weight before. When I was only running without weight training I got to this weight and looked like a famine victim. Back at this weight again and my muscular definition is much better.

I''ve also gotten to a low of 112 in the past. But am liking where I am now and no longer want to go down. Going to work on getting a bit more muscular...if my weight goes down in the process, so be it but not actively trying to go there.

So when I get to the muscular definition I want, I 'll check my weight. Maybe it will be lower or even higher or the same as now. Won't know till I have arrived! Take it nice and slow. you will get there and you can always change plans accordingly if you don't like the look you have at a smaller weight. Or maybe you will even stop yourself before you get to some arbitrary goal weight becuase you like where you end up.

Regardless...good luck in your journey...
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your body frame. I'm 5'3 and my goal weight is 120, I thought 115, but at 135 I'm not unhappy with how I look but I'm not satisfied. I think 120 will make me happy, 115 was my goal and if I'm not satisfied at 120 I might go for 115, but really, what's 5lbs, you can't really see much a change in 5lbs but then again I don't know I've never been considered thin and am currently at my thinnest weight.
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I don't think that will be too low. I'm 5'4" and pretty curvy all over even at my lowest weight of 125lbs. If you're happy with your weight then that's all that matters!
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I started at the same weight you started and am the same height as you. I am 124 right now and am "okay" with it (I dont think i'm chubby anymore) but my goal weight is also 115ish. I dont think it's too low at all. I'm even thinking of 110 if it looks good on me.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I'm 115 now and looking to lose another 5.

My biggest issue being 115 at the same height is that my chest/ribs lost all the fat first. So I am extremely thin there but my stomach and legs are chubbier.

Everyone is different. 115 on one person can look totally different on two people of the same height. It is however on the lower middle end of what is healthy for our height.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    http://aprilfitness.shutterfly.com/pictures/8

It's me at 135...I was "ok" clotheswise but not in a bikini. I've had people tell me I looked good in that black bikini.

Uh...no. Women are comfortable around me in that black bikini and men don't look at me.

But a few weeks later in that blue bikini...

woemn are giving me hateful glares and men are asking for my number.

hee hee.

Now I look good clotheswise and bikini wise. A few lbs can make a difference on a short frame. And I am above what my goal weight is in the blue bikini and completely happy with it.

http://aprilfitness.shutterfly.com/pictures/8
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I'm 115 now and looking to lose another 5.

My biggest issue being 115 at the same height is that my chest/ribs lost all the fat first. So I am extremely thin there but my stomach and legs are chubbier.

Everyone is different. 115 on one person can look totally different on two people of the same height. It is however on the lower middle end of what is healthy for our height.

This totally! I've seen girls our height weighing my weight at 135 and it looks great on them, I'm not saying it doesn't look great on me, but I'm not as happy at 135 as I thought I would be. I'm not sad about it because I've come so far, you just have to go with what looks best on you and what makes you happy.
  • tennisbabe94
    tennisbabe94 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    That seems like a great goal weight! I'm 5'4.5 and 120 lbs. I think for your height, 115 is good!