what time of the day is best to used up all your cals

Options
i like to know if it better to eat all your food be4 6 or 7 pm i like to save some off my cals to eat something around 930 or 10 is that to late for me to eat i eat dinner around 6 but like to eat my snack later

Replies

• irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    it doesn't matter what time you eat, unless it makes you have a hard time sleeping. I eat my last snack of the night about midnight when I get off work, and I go to bed an hour later.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    While you're awake. Eating while asleep makes for nasty stains on the pillowcase.
    Seriously though...it doesn't matter. Eat however it works for you.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Rant deleted. Nevermind.
  • Absref71
    Absref71 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    All calories are different. You should not be asking when to have your last calories as not eating too long before bed is not only bad for you but the hunger pains suuuuck but when to have your last carbohydrate.

Any late night meal should be low to no carbohydrates as your body does not use carbs as fuel during sleep and will store it as fat. (it actually uses fat)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Any late night meal should be low to no carbohydrates as your body does not use carbs as fuel during sleep and will store it as fat. (it actually uses fat)

What happens to that stored fat when the individual is eating a hypocaloric diet? It gets oxidized as fuel. You do not show a net fat storage while eating in a deficit regardless of nutrient timing.

OP: It makes no difference outside of the following conditions:

1) how does your meal timing effect your performance?
    2) how does your meal timing effect your lifestyle?
    3) does your meal timing effect your ability to hit your daily intake goals of calories and macronutrients?

Beyond the above 3 items I would not worry AT ALL about how you divide your calories into meals or when you eat them.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter. I don't eat after 8pm because I have found it affected my sleeping. I aim to be in bed around 10, 1030pm. But others can eat right before going to sleep and have no problems. Do what works for you.
  • Tricialew32
    Tricialew32 Posts: 96 Member
    Options

If I'm to believe my Fitbit...I was awakened 24 times last night and walked 223 steps in my sleep so I'm pretty sure I burned off that handful of M&M's I ate before bed.

Seriously...listen to Sidesteal, he knows some stuff.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Rant deleted. Nevermind.

my thoughts exactly. ::face palm::
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Eat when you want unless you have some medical condition that dictates otherwise (blood sugar issues, acid reflux etc). It will have no impact on weight loss. I typically eat 2000+ calories in the last two hours of my day then march straight to bed, full, & satisfied.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options

What happens to that stored fat when the individual is eating a hypocaloric diet? It gets oxidized as fuel. You do not show a net fat storage while eating in a deficit regardless of nutrient timing.

3) does your meal timing effect your ability to hit your daily intake goals of calories and macronutrients?

Beyond the above 3 items I would not worry AT ALL about how you divide your calories into meals or when you eat them.

Quoting because I couldn't really say it any better...
  • Absref71
    Options
    True, if you eat less than your body uses you will lose weight, however it will be fat as well as muscle that is burnt as fuel.
  • Absref71
    Options
    You do burn calories in your sleep but its the method of burning, when sleeping we are in an aerobic state and use fat to fuel our primary functions
  • Absref71
    Options

True, if you eat less than your body uses you will lose weight, however it will be fat as well as muscle that is burnt as fuel.
    Although it is more common for methods of carb tapering to be used in the higher end of fitness models and bodybuilders cutting that need that level of detail
  • Absref71
    Options

If I'm to believe my Fitbit...I was awakened 24 times last night and walked 223 steps in my sleep so I'm pretty sure I burned off that handful of M&M's I ate before bed.

Seriously...listen to Sidesteal, he knows some stuff.

You do burn calories in your sleep but its the method of burning, when sleeping we are in an aerobic state and use fat to fuel our primary functions
  • Absref71
    Options
    Apologies for the double posting, new to this and was unsure if the quote system to be used as a reply to a specific answer.

Here is a quote from Ryan Raynolds' trainer when training for Blade trinity :

"He ate most of his carbohydrates post-workout, and none after 8pm."

and a few websites that turned me to the idea of carb tapering

http://ezinearticles.com/?Losing-Weight-Fast-Using-Carbohydrate-Tapering&id=2983143
    http://www.quick-weight-loss-principles.com/daily-carbohydrate-intake.html
    http://www.hardbodysuccessblog.com/my_weblog/2011/11/carb-tapering-an-underrated-fat-loss-technique.html
  • kima1144
    kima1144 Posts: 28
    Options
    u eat 2000 cals befor bed and lost 158 lbs how i only get 1860 cals for the day
  • kima1144
    Options
    ok thanks im new trying my best to find out what will work for me and my body
  • kima1144
    Options
    thks