In Need of Some Refrigerator Oatmeal Recipes!

Options

Replies

• MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I have tried these, but I just cannot get past the nasty, bitter taste from the greek yogurt. I know it is supposed to be the end all, be all of yogury, but I hate it!! What if I made this with my plain old light vanilla yogurt and just upped my oatmeal a bit to combat the extra liquid from my yogurt compared to the greek?
    I didn't care for it at first, and still don't eat it on its own, but I struggle to get enough protein, and this stuff has a lot! 12g in 4 oz....just what I need.
  • mrsmark2010
    mrsmark2010 Posts: 220
    Options
    I used the original recipe and altered it to my taste/style:

general recipe:
    1/2 c *quick cook* oats
    1 container carbmaster yogurt (kroger brand)
    1/4 to 1/3 c milk, i use unsweetened almond milk
    flavors to complement the flavor of yogurt.

ready in couple hours, I mix it while making/packing my lunch for work and usually have it for mid morning snack.

flavor combos that I like:
    1. banana cream yogurt with 1 tablespoon cocoa powder (and 1 packet of sweetener to offset the cocoa powder)
    2. strawberry or strawberry banana with sugar free strawberry jam/preserves.. could use any jam/yogurt combo.
    I'm still experimenting with the combos, but the cocoa/banana is phenomenal.
  • Coyotemama
    Coyotemama Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I have tried these, but I just cannot get past the nasty, bitter taste from the greek yogurt. I know it is supposed to be the end all, be all of yogury, but I hate it!! What if I made this with my plain old light vanilla yogurt and just upped my oatmeal a bit to combat the extra liquid from my yogurt compared to the greek?

I add stevia to greek yogurt. Sweetens it up without adding any bad stuff to it.
  • GarthBear
    GarthBear Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • mamaclose
    mamaclose Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You don't have to use yogurt at all! I follow a plant-based diet and eat refrigerator oats daily. My recipe (posted above) has no yogurt at all.
  • molly_grue
    molly_grue Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jwillie76
    jwillie76 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Sounds good!
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    just comenting so its to keep sight

recently i have been whizzing up 1 egg 25g oats, and 50g cottage cheese (FF or normal) with 1/4 baked sweet potato and some spice ( mixed spice/ cinnamon/ ginger type stuff)
    leave over night then cook as pancakes serve with fresh berries
    ( or add turmeric and paprika and have with tomatoes and avacado or other veges)
    not really an overnight oatmeal but all the hard work is done the night before so i thought i'd add it for something a bit different
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Just something a little different- I quite like making mine in different flavours, so I always make a variation of the following recipe before the gym:

1 scoop of protein powder - my favourite has to be the strawberry or the chocolate (I have used a scoop of slimfast in the past instead- and this results in a really, really creamy mix- it's rather tasty)
    70-90ml of milk - dependent on how much liquid you fancy
    90g of yoghurt - I tend to use greek as that's what we have in the house, but you could use anything from strawberry to vanilla
    1 teaspoon of chia seeds
    40g ish of oats

The powder does up the calories on it by a bit (hence why I tend to have it on pre-gym days), but it's rather tasty! I just normally leave it overnight and then add a handful of frozen (or fresh) berries on top, or half a banana (if it's chocolate).
  • donnahandan
    donnahandan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    bumo
  • kayleen_longworth
    kayleen_longworth Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Yum!
  • stpetegirl
    stpetegirl Posts: 241
    Options
    Wow some of these recipes go all out! I do mine a little more simple, and I watch my carb intake so I only eat a 1/3 cup portion of the finished oats. My favorite so far is: 1/2 cup quick oats
    1 6oz container light nonfat yogurt
    1/4 cup or a little less of water
    2 Tbsp natural peanut butter
    Mix in a small bowl and let sit over night. In the morning I put my 1/3 cup servings into individual bowls to just grab in the morning. Each portion is only 110 calories depending on which yogurt you use. I use regular, not greek. And for those thinking it's not very filling because the portion is small, I add a protein to my breakfast or a fruit and am completely satisfied!
  • sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    1/2 c oats
    1 container Chobani honey-nana yogurt ( i find this is the best one, its very sweet and flavorful)
    1 cup coconut milk
    2 tsp chia seeds
    2 tsp coconut sugar ( oor stevia or whatever you prefer to use)
    1/2 banana, sliced ( i do some slices very thin so they sort of melt into the oatmeal, and some thicker so theyre still there in the am)

Put cover on and shake hard til combined
    Stick in fridge
    Wake up next morning
    Take out & add 1 tablespoon of chopped toasted pecans

Heaven :)

Had this this morning and think im gonna make it again for tomorrow.
  • rowbseat13
    rowbseat13 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Replying so it will stay in "My Topic"
  • ScottFree_66
    Options
    I need to try some of these
  • ShinyFuture
    ShinyFuture Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    (bookmarking)
  • sarah5423
    sarah5423 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I tried overnight oats for the first time today and have to say I was impressed, especially at just 195 calories for my version-very yummy:
    1/3 cup rolled oats
    1/3 cup fat free vanilla yoghurt
    1/3 cup light soy milk
    1/2 mixed frozen berries

Think this will be my new fad for a while, can't imagine it with chocolate though....
  • xandin4
    xandin4 Posts: 6
    Options
    I found this website on another post and I'm going to try all of them:

http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal

I have tried the Mango Honey Refrigerator Oatmeal recipe from that site, and it's fantastic! I make a batch of 12, pop them all in the fridge (with no fruit) overnight, then freeze 8 out of the 12. Then I take a few out of the freezer when I want them, let them thaw out in the fridge for a day or two, then add the fruit. Easy! The base oatmeal itself will keep in the fridge for a long time, as long as you don't add the fruit.
    And, I've added various fruits to that honey-based recipe: mango, peach, blueberries, bananas, I think that's it so far. But almost any fruit would go nicely with that base recipe.
    Good luck!
  • drlauram
    drlauram Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yum!,
  • josyjozy
    josyjozy Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm not really an oatmeal fan, but I do this now and then as a break from my protein smoothies. I love almonds & almond flavor, so in addition to the almond milk & Greek yogurt, I add a couple drops of almond extract, then throw in some toasted almonds in the morning (so they stay crunchy).

I don't like the taste of the yogurt either but I couldn't live without it. Just use enough ingredients that you don't taste it. It's high protein and makes things creamy. Add fruits and things to cover it up. I have an apple cinnamon recipe I use, then taste, if i can taste any bit of the tangy I add applesauce or cinnamon until it's gone. I have noticed it seems to make me thirstier during the morning and I have no problem getting in 8 glasses of water by 5 p.m. (that might be subconscious but it works)