Deodorant? But seriously....

Options

Replies

• Miribg
    Miribg Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Mitchum's!!! That sh** is killer! I have a bit of a hectic schedule at times, and I can foget to put it on and still be golden for two days! Love it!!!!!

Yep. I agree. I forgot to wear deodorant one day :embarassed: and was surprised I didn't smell bad :drinker:
  • HamsterNut
    HamsterNut Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I never wear an antiperspirant, I use salt deodorants, instead of preventing you sweating and covering the smell they work by killing bacteria but they let the body breathe I love them :-) Im using a pit rok spray right now its great!
  • AShawneeF
    AShawneeF Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Ive been trying to use natural and organic ones since they do not contain aluminum. All the mainstream ones contain aluminum. Aluminum gets processed through the liver (harmful and toxic) and also blocks your sweat glands which means you can't eliminate the toxins.

" Aluminum – Used to block sweat glands, aluminum-based compounds are the active ingredients in antiperspirants. Many studies have pointed at these aluminum compounds as being responsible for causing changes in estrogen receptors in breast cells – a risk for developing breast cancer. This claim may or not be accurate. However, the simple act of preventing perspiration hinders the body’s natural attempt at eliminating toxins via the skin’s pores."

your body eliminates sweat and toxins from every available pore on your body, not just your armpits. to say that putting deoderant with aluminum on just your armpits would cause you harm is just silly. it's not like your body is a one way drain out and blocking it is going to cause a backup. sheesh.
  • abslikewhat
    Options
    This is what works for me without fail: baking soda, one application every day.
    It can bleach fabrics though.
    There is a natural deodorant by "terra naturals" that comes in various to neutral scents. It's kind of a gel stick, but it really worked for me. Better than any commercial deodorant. http://terranaturals.com/
    I find most natural deodorants don't work for me, and stick to baking soda, it's cheap and works better than anything.
    My boyfriend uses a potassium crystal. I find it works about as well as a commercial deodorant, if you reapply it through out the day.
    I also discovered that if i scrub my armpits without soap (just water, and a scrubber), they smell much fresher, longer.
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I have to switch it up frequently too or it doesn't seem to work as well. I am currently on Degree Expert Protection with 24 hour motion sense. That's a mouthful! :P

me too!
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Anything without parabens and aluminum. Tom's and Weleda - especially the rose Weleda. There are a lot of natural brands, though.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I make my own. It's awesome, cheap, antibacterial which cuts odor, non drying, and I use essential oils to make it smell wonderful. Right now, it's a sweet orange and cedarwood scent. :-)
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I can't stand scented deodorant--for me, the point is for my pits NOT to smell at all. I've been using Dry Idea unscented roll-on for over a decade. Anti-perspirant and deodorant. It lasts all day. Love it.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    I usually don't, if I do it's Alvera aloe herbal.
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Arrid clear gel, its the only one that works for me.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Pit rok. Keep it natural... I've also used Trust and thought it was great, but I'm too disorganised, could never remember when I last put it on!
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Axe is the one that I'm ~least~ allergic to of products you can buy in a normal store, so that's what I use when I need it. But if I were to use it everyday, my armpits would peel off.

I keep one in the car, my desk, suitcase, etc. so I can apply it on days I need it.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    This is what works for me without fail: baking soda, one application every day.
    It can bleach fabrics though.
    There is a natural deodorant by "terra naturals" that comes in various to neutral scents. It's kind of a gel stick, but it really worked for me. Better than any commercial deodorant. http://terranaturals.com/
    I find most natural deodorants don't work for me, and stick to baking soda, it's cheap and works better than anything.
    My boyfriend uses a potassium crystal. I find it works about as well as a commercial deodorant, if you reapply it through out the day.
    I also discovered that if i scrub my armpits without soap (just water, and a scrubber), they smell much fresher, longer.

I've known many people that the crystal works well for. And I've been told that for it to work well you have to a) give your body time to adjust to it and b) scrub your pits WELL. I've found the same thing, if I scrub them well with a scrubber the smell will be kept at bay longer, the scrubber's more important than the soap.

I LOVE Herbal Magic in Herbal Scent. I am very sensitive to scents and have to be careful about what I use, and avoid other people who wear strong smelling stuff. This scent is mild enough not to bother me. I discovered it last year when I was in Portland and my Pit Putty stopped working in the humidity there. The woman at the store told me she had a lot of customers rave about it, so I figured I should try it. Been using it ever since. My roommate was looking for a new one shortly after I tried Herbal Magic and he tried the unscented and has been using that one ever since. I also like Weleda's citrus spray deodorant, but it's expensive so I stick with Herbal Magic and will use Weleda as a touch up during the day. A natural deodorant works best if you apply it to very clean pits right after showing and then reapply it later.

I actually prefer another person to smell like BO than some of the obnoxious chemical scents of some of the deodorants and antiperspirants out there.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I am trying to go packaging free, as much as possible, so I buy the LUSH deodorant bar:

http://www.lushusa.com/Aromaco/00051,en_US,pd.html?start=1&cgid=deodorants

The scent is a bit strong, but wears off shortly after applying it. It is totally effective, though, and long lasting.
  • sushiforbrains
    Options
    I usually use Dove in any scent (currently plum and sakura blossom) although I mostly use the sensitive skin kind, as it is one of the few brands that doesn't give me a rash/hives/etc. I think I might have to give that homemade one that was linked here a shot. Although I don't know how well it will stand up to the humidity here, I might be able to use it in the cooler months and use the dove when it's hot.
  • dvnjustina
    dvnjustina Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    The only time I wear deodorant is when I go out in the heat, then I use a little Degree Ultra Clear. I was using Dove, but it clogged my pores horribly. The only time I've used Secret my pits burned until I scrubbed the deodorant off.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    I use certain dri roll on but swipe on a little something extra before the gym. I can't stand powdery scents though.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Ive been trying to use natural and organic ones since they do not contain aluminum. All the mainstream ones contain aluminum. Aluminum gets processed through the liver (harmful and toxic) and also blocks your sweat glands which means you can't eliminate the toxins.

" Aluminum – Used to block sweat glands, aluminum-based compounds are the active ingredients in antiperspirants. Many studies have pointed at these aluminum compounds as being responsible for causing changes in estrogen receptors in breast cells – a risk for developing breast cancer. This claim may or not be accurate. However, the simple act of preventing perspiration hinders the body’s natural attempt at eliminating toxins via the skin’s pores."

Me too. I use Kiss My Face Face or Arm and Hammer with baking soda.

Because these are not antiperspirants you definitely need to reapply after sweating a lot. But, for normal activity they work great.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I have to rotate my deoderant every month or I swear it just stops working for me. I think overall my favourite is Degree solid.

This except my favourite is mitchum but I too only get about a month before I have to switch brands...even mitchum which works for 2-3 days when I first start using it. Driclor (prescription strength) was the best overall but it stings like a !*@5!! if you have shaved within a week
  • tumblyweed
    tumblyweed Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I buy whatever aluminum-free natural deo is on sale at the natural foods store. If it's hot out, I sprinkle on a little baby cornstarch. I didn't buy any but I did notice some clothing guards. They are these little pads you put near the arm pit of your clothes. Ha ha! They are like arm pit maxi-pads.... cute :)