Is it this considered a cheating diet and is it healthy?

Options
I am currently on a cutting diet averaging 1650 calories a day. I use the zig-zag or calorie cycling method, so one day I might eat 1450 calories and then the next something like 1780. Over 7 days my calories would average to 1650 on the dot.

I would, however, like to indulge myself once in a while with something junky like ice cream or pizza. My question is on a day where I can eat 1800 to 1900 calories, is it okay if I eat 1000 junk food calories and 800-900 regular/healthy calories (ie vegetables, lean meats, healthy carbs)?

Since this would "fit" into my daily caloric goal would this still be considered cheating? Even though I am not probably getting the most essential nutrients from the junk food calories it would still be within my caloric range.

Lastly, would doing this once a week be healthy or should I only do this once or twice a month. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Pizza has carbs/fat/protein, what's the problem?
  • evanesco
    evanesco Posts: 52
    Options
    I go on net calories for the week, so long as the whole week isn't over or under, including any burn, I'm fine with it.
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I find to really hard to stick to my sodium if i get junk food - i really do have to watch my sodium, which is set to 2000, which is lower than the MFP given 2500 because it bothers me that much

some people on MFP have said that their loss is influenced by WHERE they get their cals and nutrients from, but other people dont, i guess it just depends on the individual

if you can treat yourself to a couple of slices of pizza etc and still lose weight, go for it!

:o)
  • bsharrah
    bsharrah Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Define "once in a while"? Are we talking a slice or two every few weeks or half a pie once a week? Nothing wrong with pizza or ice cream, in moderation.

One of my biggest downfalls in my earlier struggle to lose weight was my ability to convince myself that eating crap "once in a while" won't matter. Ask anyone who collects pennies, they will tell you the little things add up over time. A lot has to do with your goals and how soon you want to meet them.
  • Kakramme
    Kakramme Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    One thing I found after being on MFP, is that now one piece of pizza is good enough. There was a time when I could keep up with my husband in the number of slices.

I am not sure if it is the foreknowledge of the calorie count or not. But I am full.

I agree with the previous comments, as pizza has the carbs, protiens, and fats, just keep track of the calories. If you are worried, eat back the calories with a good brisk walk.

Good luck and have fun!:flowerforyou:
  • Absref71
    Absref71 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    That is hugely cheating... The main rules are simple and constant, calories in must equal energy out or you will lose or gain weight.

Even if your calories are lower than your limit for the day you will put on fat and lose muscle. By spending over half of your calories for the day on one meal you are effectively starving your body for the rest of the day with the lower calorie meals you will need to stay under your limit.

I would suggest (just from experience, not a pro and please correct me if any facts are wrong) as a pizza contains high levels of carbs which are stored in the body for 2-3 days as glycogen, that you should cut your carbs to bare min and try eat lean proteins with veggies and salads for the rest of the day. Protein is generally only in your system for approx 3 hours and your body needs a constant supply or it will start eating muscle.

Or just have a slice of pizza or a half the ice cream... Actually youtube healthy pizzas, you can make one on a wrap that tastes amazing and is about a quarter of your calories
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I don't get why pizza is considered terribly unhealthy - it's bread with veg and cheese, and sometimes meat. Quite a natural meal, as meals go. I guess it's more about portions - if you eat a whole one, that is a pretty big meal!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    The main rules are simple and constant, calories in must equal energy out or you will lose or gain weight.

This part of your post is true, although the OP is trying to reduce weight I believe, so he is creating an energy deficit on purpose.. Most of the rest isn't and I'll try to explain. I'm not intending to pick on you here, I just want the OP to get a good start to this.
    Even if your calories are lower than your limit for the day you will put on fat and lose muscle.

What are you basing this off of without any information about the OP's macro intake or training protocol? How will he GAIN FAT while eating at an energy deficit?
    By spending over half of your calories for the day on one meal you are effectively starving your body for the rest of the day with the lower calorie meals you will need to stay under your limit.

You can retain LBM quite sufficiently on a very low number of meals. Calorie partitioning (what I mean specifically by that is, how you break your intake into meals) isn't nearly as important as you think it is. It's critically more important that the OP takes in sufficient protein for the day and doesn't create too big of a deficit. Given the data he's provided, it's probably going to HELP to cheat a bit considering his average intake is only 1650, but as you'll see, I'll get that information before commenting further.
    I would suggest (just from experience, not a pro and please correct me if any facts are wrong) as a pizza contains high levels of carbs which are stored in the body for 2-3 days as glycogen, that you should cut your carbs to bare min and try eat lean proteins with veggies and salads for the rest of the day. Protein is generally only in your system for approx 3 hours and your body needs a constant supply or it will start eating muscle.

Since you're asking to be corrected: You'll very likely maintain ample amino acids for several hours after a meal and moreover, the larger the dosage of protein the longer it will take to digest. Protein types will vary a bit but you have WAY longer than 3 hours (especially given a large meal).

OP:

Can you please state your weight, your activity (how do you train and how active are you outside of the gym), and your macronutrient intake in GRAMS (p/f/c) (averages).
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I am currently on a cutting diet averaging 1650 calories a day. I use the zig-zag or calorie cycling method, so one day I might eat 1450 calories and then the next something like 1780. Over 7 days my calories would average to 1650 on the dot.

I would, however, like to indulge myself once in a while with something junky like ice cream or pizza. My question is on a day where I can eat 1800 to 1900 calories, is it okay if I eat 1000 junk food calories and 800-900 regular/healthy calories (ie vegetables, lean meats, healthy carbs)?

Since this would "fit" into my daily caloric goal would this still be considered cheating? Even though I am not probably getting the most essential nutrients from the junk food calories it would still be within my caloric range.

Lastly, would doing this once a week be healthy or should I only do this once or twice a month. Any help would be great. Thanks!

You're fine, keep doing what you're doing as long as you're seeing the scale move in the direction you want. Also, listen to Sidesteal he's an information powerhouse when it comes to this junk!
  • Absref71
    Absref71 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    The main rules are simple and constant, calories in must equal energy out or you will lose or gain weight.

This part of your post is true, although the OP is trying to reduce weight I believe, so he is creating an energy deficit on purpose.. Most of the rest isn't and I'll try to explain. I'm not intending to pick on you here, I just want the OP to get a good start to this.

*ha ha no worries, im always open to different opinions
    Even if your calories are lower than your limit for the day you will put on fat and lose muscle.

What are you basing this off of without any information about the OP's macro intake or training protocol? How will he GAIN FAT while eating at an energy deficit?

*Im assuming his limit set is correct
    By spending over half of your calories for the day on one meal you are effectively starving your body for the rest of the day with the lower calorie meals you will need to stay under your limit.

You can retain LBM quite sufficiently on a very low number of meals. Calorie partitioning (what I mean specifically by that is, how you break your intake into meals) isn't nearly as important as you think it is. It's critically more important that the OP takes in sufficient protein for the day and doesn't create too big of a deficit. Given the data he's provided, it's probably going to HELP to cheat a bit considering his average intake is only 1650, but as you'll see, I'll get that information before commenting further.

Since you're asking to be corrected: You'll very likely maintain ample amino acids for several hours after a meal and moreover, the larger the dosage of protein the longer it will take to digest. Protein types will vary a bit but you have WAY longer than 3 hours (especially given a large meal).

*What would your recommendation be for his other meals around the cheat meal be?

OP:

Can you please state your weight, your activity (how do you train and how active are you outside of the gym), and your macronutrient intake in GRAMS (p/f/c) (averages).
  • HankHill4321
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies everyone! I guess what I'm afraid of is gaining fat while indulging in a "junk food" once in a while. For the most part I would be eating very healthy but some days (maybe once a week or once every 2 weeks) I would like to reward myself with one meal of high calories which is why I posted this question.

For example:

6oz greek yogurt w/ blueberries, raspberries, and flax seeds: ~170 cal
    100g baby carrots: 35 cal
    7oz alaskan cod: 163 cal
    100g broccoli 34 cal
    100g zucchini 15 cal
    6oz chicken thighs 200 cal
    spinach salad 50 cal
    protein shake 120 cal
    _____________________________________________ _______________________
    total calories before junk: 787 cal

cookies with ice cream 1000 cal

I planned this out so as a diet for the "cheat meal". It consists of a low calorie but high nutrition meal before the junk food intake. The rest comes from ice cream. And yeah it's a day where I am literally indulging in ice cream. 10oz to be exact! I've only done this once a few weeks ago and I gotta say that I was very happy. The following week I think i was more enthusiastic to work out.

But I realize it is a large amount of junk with high fat and saturated fat for just one meal. I don't HAVE to do this if it is going to be terrible for me because I'd much rather choose my body than food. I can even do it with less calories. But if I can "cheat" then I would like to do so once in a while because like all humans I enjoy eating any delicious food whether it's healthy, unique, or just bad for you.
  • HankHill4321
    Options
    I am 5'10". I was 185lbs about three months ago and I am currently 150lbs with a muscular build. After losing all my belly fat (which is not too much longer away) I plan to maintain my weight at 165 lbs. I am living a very active lifestyle. I lift weights 3 days a week and do HIIT cardio the other 3 days of the week.

Except for the last week, I have been maintaining a diet of ~1500 calories a day. Since last week I have upped it to 1650 on a 40 carb/30 protein/30 fat diet. My meals are usually very healthy with carbs coming from fruits, vegetables (ie sweet potatoes and berries). My fats mostly come from nuts, avacados, and dark chocolate. My protein comes mostly from poultry.

I have never done a cheat diet except that one time where I ate 10oz of ice cream :)
  • HankHill4321
    Options
    Also another reason why I posted this is because of the idea of the cheat meal itself. Is it that bad for you?

Like I stated above I usually maintain a 40/30/30 meal plan now at 1650 calories. But obviously the cheat meal will cause me to deviate from this ratio. Since this is just once a week or maybe once every two weeks, is it really that bad for you to do this since it is also within my caloric budget? For one day will eating a higher amount of carbs and fat going to harm my progress of fat loss or even maintenance? Or will this be detrimental and cause fat gain?

It is not something that I have to do but I have been on a fat loss plateau lately and I was researching ways to get over the hump. I used to just eat exactly 1500 calories every day with no deviation. But since the plateau I heard that eating with shifts in calories can help. I thought of a step further by thinking that maybe I can even have reward days to look forward to where I eat a high calorie junk meal.
  • nogoldilocs
    nogoldilocs Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I don't know, I think it's not so complicated. You can eat anything in moderation. You could eat ice cream every day, just not 10 oz of ice cream everyday. And if you did eat that much everyday, after a few days of that you probably wouldn't want to because you'd feel lousy, not having enough energy to fuel your lifting and work outs. Just aim for moderation.
  • HankHill4321
    Options
    I don't know, I think it's not so complicated. You can eat anything in moderation. You could eat ice cream every day, just not 10 oz of ice cream everyday. And if you did eat that much everyday, after a few days of that you probably wouldn't want to because you'd feel lousy, not having enough energy to fuel your lifting and work outs. Just aim for moderation.

I'm not asking if it is ok to do this everyday. I have just been asking if it is ok to do this once a week or once every two weeks. I'd prefer not to eat in moderation when it comes to junk food even if it can be everyday. I'd rather just have a big junk meal once in a while (like a big reward) rather than everyday or every other day in moderation. Eating junk in moderation would make me just cave in and crave it all the more.
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    This is the way I see it, if you eat like a slob and never exercise everyday of your life life, then eating one healthy meal and doing some cardio for one day isnt going to make you healthy, and vice versa.

ETA: I'm not saying you eat like a slob, just the opposite in fact. Have your treat day, its good for the soul!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Pizza has carbs/fat/protein, what's the problem?

Yes, this!

Most of my dinners are around 800-1000 calories, so my meals of pizza, which typically happen once or twice a week, fit right in.
  • kadinlucas
    kadinlucas Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I like it
  • nogoldilocs
    nogoldilocs Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    So you want to know if it's ok to have periodic junk food binges? Not sure why you'd choose binging over moderation but if you don't feel compulsive or distressed about it, have at it.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I'm not asking if it is ok to do this everyday. I have just been asking if it is ok to do this once a week or once every two weeks. I'd prefer not to eat in moderation when it comes to junk food even if it can be everyday. I'd rather just have a big junk meal once in a while (like a big reward) rather than everyday or every other day in moderation. Eating junk in moderation would make me just cave in and crave it all the more.
    In the context you're putting it (once every week or two), it's fine unless it creates problems with craving/binging. If you're staying below your TDEE and eating healthy most of the time, it's not going to hurt a thing. You may be a pound or two heavier the next day from water retention/bloat if you take a lot of sodium onboard, but it's not going to kill your weight loss.

Some experts actually advocate a "cheat day" or "re-feed day" every couple of weeks. Everybody is different about this kind of thing. There are those who NEVER stray from eating pristinely clean who view it as a mortal sin; others who are more relaxed with their diet see no problem with it. My personal point of view is that I like to keep my diet as flexible as possible and maintain a healthy relationship with food and eating. I eat decently "clean" most of the time, but have no problem blowing it completely out of the water once in a while - and I've still managed to lose 31 pounds in just over 5 months.

[edited to add]: Read this article by Lyle McDonald: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/flexible-versus-rigid-dieting.html
    Lyle is highly knowledgeable and is considered an expert in the field by many, and he explains his viewpoint on this topic. While you're there, he has a lot of other articles that are definitely worth reading.

[edited again to add]: Oh yeah, and listen to Sidesteal (above in this thread). He knows his stuff and always dishes out the straight scoop.