Very confused.

Options
I am female, 5'9 and 188 lbs. I have been working out everyday for a month now, i stick to a calorie diet of just over 1200. I mostly do cardio but some strength training as well. I havent seen any kind of change on the scale or even my clothes fitting better.
I have talked to various nutritionists and they all say different. Which ones better for losing weight, cardio or strength training?

I also do not understand eating back the calories i burn.

Replies

• wolfpack77
    wolfpack77 Posts: 655
    Options
    At 1200 calories a day, you are not eating enough. At 5' 9'' that is well below your BMR.

Both cardio and weight training will help with weight loss, but dieting improperly will sabotage your results. Including underfeeding.
  • runnermama81
    runnermama81 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster....you are not eating enough. Try eating more for a week or two and just see if it makes a difference. If you still don't see any change I would make an appointment with your doc. There may be some underlying health issues causing this too. Sorry you're so frustrated:( Keep up the good work!
  • rocksyraeis
    Options
    At 1200 calories a day, you are not eating enough. At 5' 9'' that is well below your BMR.

What exactly is BMR and if shes well below then shouldnt she be losing(curious cause i eat 1200 a day im 5'1) ?

It takes time to lose weight dear, its not an over nught thing it takes dedication, consistancy, and repetition to
    Lose weight ;) but its a lifestyle choice so it takes time. (my opinion) rome
    Wasnt built in a day :D Goodluck! Also muscle weighs more then fat :D maybe your turning fat into muscle!
  • wolfpack77
    wolfpack77 Posts: 655
    Options
    BMR = Basal Metabolic Rate. This is the minimum number of calories you need for basic bodily function. Your BMR is what your body uses if you laid in bed all day without moving for 24 hours.

At her age and size, her BMR is probably around 1600 - 1700/day (ballpark, I didnt check). If you consider her activity level at 1200 calories a day, she is dangerously underfeeding.
  • Absref71
    Absref71 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    The guy posting is is dead on. You should open your diary so people can see what you are eating, your calories might be low but the quality could be bad
  • megannestingen1
    Options
    Could anyone give me a good website for a bmr calculator. I went to two different websites. One told me 1728, and another told.me 2943 i put in the same info for each one.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    You need to do both.

1) Caloric deficit causes the body to lose tissue to compensate for the deficit. this is fact of life and the CORE to weight loss. there is no way around this.

2) BMR is not a constant thing. Eating far too low calories will still cause you to lose weight, but it will also slow your BMR to lower levels over a long period of time. This can cause problems when you start eating normally again. Food is good, and I would rather be able to eat 3k calories a day with a healthy diet + exercise plan, rather than starve myself and do craptons of cardio, thus screwing my BMR and forcing myself to eat next to nothing forever while living in fear of gaining 2 lbs of fat. Have a sensible diet plan, and exercise plan.

3) an extension of 1. When youre losing tissue, the body will prioritize. There are different types of muscle fibres in the body, Type I, Type II, and variations in each. for example, when you lift something stupidly heavy, different muscle fibres are being activated than when youre walking or jogging. Why this is important is when youre in deficit, if youre not using it, youre losing it. Not doing heavy lifting? Then your Type II fibres are being shed as they are being sacrificed to meet the caloric deficit. This is why you see soooooo many people who reach their weight goal with cardio only, yet still are unhappy about how they look as they have been shedding a ton of muscle mass and still look flabby.

4) Doing resistance training keeps Type II muscle around. Meaning the caloric deficit youre in causes other types of tissue to be lost instead. Like fat for example. So weight loss will be the same over time, but you will have more fat loss. Which is the goal you should be after.

5) Do both cardio and resistance training.

edit: and dont worry too much about eating back calories for now. Its honestly mostly math OCD. Pick a decent calories total per day, have a regular activity sced containing both heavy weights and cardio. meet those 2 things and the rest takes care of itself.
  • sarahkindel
    sarahkindel Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    So say her BMR is 1700, what would she need to consume in order to lose (without taking exercise into account). Would she need to eat 1700, or lower?
  • Absref71
    Options
    So say her BMR is 1700, what would she need to consume in order to lose (without taking exercise into account). Would she need to eat 1700, or lower?

Yes. What she eats and exercise will determine how much of it is fat and how much is muscle.

1600 of twinkies for a year vs 1600 chicken/veg and rice...
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options

Yes. What she eats and exercise will determine how much of it is fat and how much is muscle.

calories given equal macros is meaningless where the source comes from. give me 180g protein and the rest of my calories from twinkies and i will be just as good losing weight compared to chicken and veg.
  • Absref71
    Options

calories given equal macros is meaningless where the source comes from. give me 180g protein and the rest of my calories from twinkies and i will be just as good losing weight compared to chicken and veg.

Eating "clean" unprocessed foods is always the best choice.

White breads pasta and flour are all milled into a fine powder that is easily and quickly digested making you hungrier quicker. The rush of carbohydrates in one burst will also cause more of an insulin spike than any slow digesting carbohydrate, im sure we all know the effects there.
    As well as the energy needed in order to break down and digest wholegrains and vegetables is more therefore more calories are burnt ie the thermic effect of "clean" foods is higher.

In the end the best way to see if things work is watch the bodybuilders/fitness models, these days the info is so readily available so why make the same mistakes others have made before.

Although that that would make 1 hell of an interesting experiment if any1 would be up for it
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Check out this thread - it will explain about BMR TDEE how to calculate it and how to use it for safe and healthy weight loss.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

If you set it up properly you deficit and your exercise calories are built in so you know what your daily target is with out adding back your exercise burn
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Check out this thread - it will explain about BMR TDEE how to calculate it and how to use it for safe and healthy weight loss.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

If you set it up properly you deficit and your exercise calories are built in so you know what your daily target is with out adding back your exercise burn
    ^ This. It makes it much simpler than eating back exercise calories (which are often estimated way too high anyway). You'll create a caloric zig-zag effect by eating around the same intake every day and varying your calories burned by exercise.
  • ke4ke
    ke4ke Posts: 2 Member
    Options
  • waltonra10
    Options
    Just FYI for anyone who doesn't already know... There is a BMR calculator on this site under the "Tools" tab.