Do You Log House Work?

Options
I don't normally log house work in as exercise but I saw one of my friends do it. Today after cleaning the house I was sweating like a pig and was so tired *whew* felt like a workout to me.

My question is: Do you think I should log those minutes? and Do you log those minutes?

Replies

• Jodi8807
    Jodi8807 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I usully do!
  • BubbleGumKisses
    BubbleGumKisses Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I don't do heavy cleaning often, but when I DO, it's definatly a workout!
    I log it, cuz it's not normal daily activity, and it surely burns more calories then I do sittin around in bed!
  • hanneberries
    hanneberries Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    It depends. When I'm cleaning out my room, up and down the stairs multiple times, carrying bags of trash, the vacuum cleaner etc. I log it. I pop on my HRM too.
  • Kelly50054
    Kelly50054 Posts: 141
    Options
    If you are breaking a sweat, your heart rate is up! I normally log when I do house work, since it involves running up and down stairs!
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    is it something your normally do? then no, becasue your body knows you do it everyday even if you've never logged it before. If you dont normally clean, or danced while you cleaned, then yes.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't log housework, but then housework doesn't make me sweat like a pig. Which is probably why my house is always untidy! :-)
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    NOPE....I think of it as bonus calorie burn that is just in addition to my REAL workouts I do.
  • erinleigh76
    Options
    It is my plan in a week when I give myself a "rest day" it will be my full house cleaning day instead
  • MouseTmom
    MouseTmom Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I don't log general house cleaning (picking up, making bed, doing laundry) but if I do heavy clening - scrubbing floor on hands and knees, moving furniture to clean under it, etc - then I do.
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    i only do when it's above and beyond normal cleaning. Like routine dusting, vacuuming and mopping, i don't. But hand scrubbing the floors, walls or when i steam clean the carpets i do. It seems to me the every day routine stuff is already built into your calories if you set it as anything other than completely sedentary.
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    NOPE....I think of it as bonus calorie burn that is just in addition to my REAL workouts I do.

not at ALL snotty or condescending.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    If it was something that was above and beyond my normal weekly routine, I would probably put on my HRM monitor out of curiosity. I'm not sure if I would log it? Would probably depend on the results of the HRM.

Normal weekly cleaning/housework - I wouldn't, because my body is already used to it, and expects it.
  • nicholjenny
    nicholjenny Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Absolutely...if I am working hard at it!
  • tennisbabe94
    tennisbabe94 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I do not, unless if it's some type of vigorous activity such as painting the house. I think housework is already taken into consideration when you set up your activity level.
  • Ambie213
    Ambie213 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Like many of the others, I only log it if it's heavy and out of the norm - I do laundry once a week - I load and unload washer, hang up the clothes, stand to fold it, put it away, etc. I log it only as "light cleaning" tho. When I vacuum, I do the main parts of the room, but every time, I get on my hands and knees in every crevice and under furniture and I sweat a LOT - I log that as "moderate cleaning" (avg of light and vigorous)... Small daily activities like picking up, sweeping, cooking, dishes, etc I don't count at all...
  • Jazmyn28
    Jazmyn28 Posts: 37
    Options
    I do :)
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Nope. I already allow for daily activities, so my 15-30 minutes of cleaning every morning is not logged.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't that require actually doing housework?

Seriously though, no I don't log housework or shopping or anything like that.
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    If I sweat, yes I do log it. today I cleaned for an hour, jogged from one end of the house to the other. I made sure I got a little more umph in it today
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I will log daily housework sometimes, especially if it is taking up time that I would have used to do a workout. I will only put it in as light house work though, It does use cals.
    If I do stuff like rearranging the place and heavy cleaning I will certainly log much of it. Like today when I was rearranging furniture and then cleaning all over. It's been a fun day for it for me, but still exercise when doing all kinds of lifting and running around like crazy.