Harry Potter Exhibit at Universal Studios, Orlando, FL

Options

Replies

• StoutGirl09
    StoutGirl09 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I want to go to this SO bad!!! Have fun!!
  • amberlitaaa
    Options
    I'm from the Tampa area as well, and we arrived an hour after the park opened, and got in very quickly. Each time I've been, there's always a crowd even during the off seasons, but it's worth it in my opinion. Everyone rushes there in the morning, and leaves before the park closes, so they all go to Harry Potter World first. I'd say go through most of the park first, and then go. And make sure you have some $$ to spare for souveniors! Lots of really neat stuff you may want to pick up. :happy:
  • kellie1055
    kellie1055 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I went to this last year and I was so embarrased when they pulled me outta line to see if I could fit in the demo seat. I did get to ride and Im 5'6 250 pounds at the time. It is amazing!
  • lostsanity137
    lostsanity137 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    It is pretty much all the way in the back and you have to go through other parts of the park to get there. I live in Florida too (Jacksonville) and I've been. It's neat, I went last May and it was busy, but I never had to wait to get in that section of the park. Weird! Oh well. I enjoyed the park, but most of the rides in that area are just renamed rides from before, like the Dueling Dragons. I don't remember what they are calling it now! lol. But Harry Potter Land was awesome. I didn't like Butterbeer. Too sweet for me, but that's a personal taste, I much preferred the Pumpkin Juice! And the shops are awesome.
    However, if you are going to be spending they day there, don't completely rule out going to check out the rest of the park! I love Jurassic Park, and Rip-Saw Falls. If you live getting a little wet, try those out!
    And if you like roller coasters then ride the Hulk!
    The whole park is so much fun!

Universal-Studios-map-Islands_crop800.jpg
  • ShaneWinston58
    Options
    I don't mind waiting in line for the rides, because I know that they have cool things to entertain you, but I hear the shops are small and crowded. Is this true?
  • lostsanity137
    lostsanity137 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Go to Islands of adventure, if you go take a left from the endtrance and go back through Marvel World and up you should get there. However, I recommend saving it for later in teh evening. Hogsmeade is GORGEOUS at night and the castle is lit up. The rides are so much fun too.

Spend your day in the other areas like Marvel, Dr Suess, Lost Continent, Comics, etc...Islands of Adventure is just AMAZING

Oh I never thought to wait until night-time! I will have to try that next time I go!
  • amberlitaaa
    Options
    I don't mind waiting in line for the rides, because I know that they have cool things to entertain you, but I hear the shops are small and crowded. Is this true?

Small, yes. Crowded, sometimes. They're themed just like the stores in the movies, so they are on the smaller side.
  • ShaneWinston58
    Options
    @jschmidt137 - Thanks for the map!:flowerforyou:
  • Boobookittyfq
    Boobookittyfq Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Your best bet go on a weekday... shorter lines... I always go right when the park opens start from back to front, you would get all the rides... Orlando is always packed no matter what just earlier you get there the more time you'll have to enjoy it... If you get there later the speed pass is worth it buy your tickets online their cheaper unless your a florida resident or military.. harry potter is actually awesome they did a very good job the shops are a bit cramp sometimes its so full they let you go in a couple of customers at a time in some stores... was not a fan of the butter beer!! i was kinda disappointed it didnt have alcohol in it lmao

I prefer going during halloween for halloween horror night its ammmmmaaazzing :) but its 2 seperate tickets for day and night
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your information. I've been going to the site (Googled) "Wizarding World of Harry Potter, Universal Studios" since before they opened that exhibit. It appears that the Harry Potter exhibit IS toward the back of the park, but that there is a "lake" in which you have to go around in order to get there (I think). I was also wondering which direction was the shortest way around the lake (if there is one)? I'll have to check the site again. I'm just not too sure about the map that they provide. I do know (from the sites map) that the cool rides are located toward the back of the exhibit. I was planning on going on the rides first, and then I was going to backtrack throughout the exhibit and see the other things (stores and eateries). Yes, I am planning on having their Butterbeer! I can not go there without trying it! I jump from planes, so I think I won't have a problem with the rides. I love roller coasters! I heard that if you are overweight, that you won't fit on the Harry Potter rides. Is that true? I weight 176lbs and am 5'7" tall. If that is true, then I have some exercising to do!!! Where do you get the ticket to enter the exhibit...if they still require one?
    That isn't that large, really.

Also, the park itself isn't that big. It's the same distance no matter which way you go. The HP section isn't huge. There is a big roller coaster, the main 3D ride in the castle and a kiddie coaster. The wait for butterbeer was longer than the wait for the rides. In the morning, the ride wait was 90 minutes. Later in the afternoon, it was listed as 45, but took about 20.
  • ShaneWinston58
    Options
    Thanks again everybody for your suggestions and assistance!!!:drinker:
  • couponfun
    couponfun Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I was just there about 6 weeks ago and here's my take:

The main ride was great. Lots of lines but there's the castle to go through. Our big issue was it broke while in line, which does tend to happen, but we got through it okay.

The "Dueling Dragons" was a disappointment. I used to go to IoA when I lived in FL and remember when it was Dueling Dragons which was part of what made it fun and crazy/exciting/scary. The coasters crossed/came within feet of hitting, etc. It was great. But apparently someone tall stuck their arm out (from what I was told) and the guy got injured so they changed the timing so the coasters can't come close anymore. Now it's just 2 coasters running at different times.

The wand thing? I was furious with my husband and daughter for wanting to do it. $75 between the two of them for a couple of plastic wands, they stood in line for over an hour, and the highlight is the box that says "olivanders". Only a few people are "chosen" for the wand thing.

He loved the Butterbeer. Hippogriff was great for the toddler. Other than that, a lot smaller area than they make it out to be in the ads, etc, but it was well done. Just too small as far as the shops - can't fit more than a few people at a time.

Enjoy and good luck!
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Oooh, have fun. I'm such a kid about that series! I WANNA MEET HARRY POTTER!!
  • mushroomcup
    mushroomcup Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If you go right once you hit the lake, it's a little quicker than going left.
  • kaylaandthestarcatcher
    Options
    It's fastest to go through Seuss Land and the Lost Continent to get to Hogsmeade. Also, the lines and crowds are always smallest on Sundays. I've been there a few times and have a friend who worked there. I was just there last month, though, and it's usually busiest during the summer, and it wasn't that bad. It's not like it was when it first opened, with lines of people waiting to just get into Hogsmeade, although the lines for the attractions are still pretty long, but the longest I saw them when I was last there was like, 75 minutes. Which... compared to when I went the first time, a couple of months after it opened, it nothing.

The Forbidden Journey is one of THE COOLEST rides I have ever been on. I mean, maybe it's just because I'm a massive Potter fan, but still, it's so cool. And the line through the Hogwarts castle is also amazing.

I won't lie, the first time I went, I cried when I saw Hogwarts up close. I'm a very emotional person, and I've been wanting to go to Hogwarts since I first started reading the books when I was like, nine. It was a big deal for me.
  • giaciccone
    giaciccone Posts: 257
    Options
    As a Florida resident who frequents IOA & Universal...
    Your best bet is to go through Seussland, which is a right. Typically, everyone tries to hit up the Incredible Hulk roller coaster as soon as they get into the park, just so they can get it out of the way, which is on the left as you walk in. Although, more & more thanks to Harry Potter's opening, people just head straight there. The mistake is that they head through Marvel Superhero Island, then Toontown, then Jurrasic Park, THEN finally hit WWOHP.

My best advice, go through Seussland, make your way through the crapload of small children, then get to The Lost Continent, then cut through to WWOHP.

Enjoy your stay!
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    Thanks for all of your information. I've been going to the site (Googled) "Wizarding World of Harry Potter, Universal Studios" since before they opened that exhibit. It appears that the Harry Potter exhibit IS toward the back of the park, but that there is a "lake" in which you have to go around in order to get there (I think). I was also wondering which direction was the shortest way around the lake (if there is one)? I'll have to check the site again. I'm just not too sure about the map that they provide. I do know (from the sites map) that the cool rides are located toward the back of the exhibit. I was planning on going on the rides first, and then I was going to backtrack throughout the exhibit and see the other things (stores and eateries). Yes, I am planning on having their Butterbeer! I can not go there without trying it! I jump from planes, so I think I won't have a problem with the rides. I love roller coasters! I heard that if you are overweight, that you won't fit on the Harry Potter rides. Is that true? I weight 176lbs and am 5'7" tall. If that is true, then I have some exercising to do!!! Where do you get the ticket to enter the exhibit...if they still require one?

Was there a couple of months ago. The faster way is to the right when you get to the fork after entering the park. Marvel Super Heros is on the left and Dr. Seuss is right. Head to the right. While it's in the back the route is shorter going right. Also, would probably recommend Oleander's as your 1st stop. They only let in about 20-25 per 10-15 minute show so it can really take a long time. Whereas the big ride constantly moves even through the wait time will still be long. As for the overweight, don't sweat it you'll fit just fine as you are.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    As a Florida resident who frequents IOA & Universal...
    Your best bet is to go through Seussland, which is a right. Typically, everyone tries to hit up the Incredible Hulk roller coaster as soon as they get into the park, just so they can get it out of the way, which is on the left as you walk in. Although, more & more thanks to Harry Potter's opening, people just head straight there. The mistake is that they head through Marvel Superhero Island, then Toontown, then Jurrasic Park, THEN finally hit WWOHP.

My best advice, go through Seussland, make your way through the crapload of small children, then get to The Lost Continent, then cut through to WWOHP.

Enjoy your stay!

As a fellow Florida resident that loves their year passes to Universal and Islands of Adventure, I agree with her! It does take longer to go through Marvel, Jurassic Park, and the cartoon land than it does Suess Landing and the Lost Continent area.

You will definitely not be too big for the ride. I'm bigger than you, and I have ample room on ALL of the rides.

Butterbeer is definitely good! I prefer it frozen, but both ways are good. Pumpkin Juice is a treat, too.

If you hit up Honeydukes, which is ALWAYS busy (especially if it rains!)...go there and look for what you want, but don't buy it then, unless you're heading straight home after that. It will melt..not to mention, you'll have to get a locker if you continue on with other stuff. Some of their more popular stuff like chocolate frogs, fizzing whizzbees (sp?), and others can be found at the Islands of Adventure store near the entrance/exit. That's what we do--just wait 'til we get there to buy it, since it's closer to the exit on our way out.

I've never done the wand thing at Olivander's...that line is always insanely long when I've been there. I've also heard that they really do it mainly for kids, so if an adult is wanting to be the one who the wand "chooses" in the thing, don't get your hopes up. At least that's what I've heard.

The rides are awesome! The Castle ride is amazing, Dragon Challenge (former Dueling Dragons) is always fun, though I've noticed this past year or so, every time that I go, one of the sides goes down. Just be patient, within 15 minutes, it's usually back up. Even the Hippogriff ride is fun. :)

Lots of opportunities for photos...it's so fun to walk around. I personally did not enjoy the restaurants, and I preferred the taste of the Butterbeer out at the barrel vendors vs. the indoor restaurants.

Go on a weekday, and avoid holidays and holiday breaks--it WILL be crowded! During Spring Break, we had to do the ticket thing, but otherwise, we've never had to.

I hope you enjoy! It's magical! :)
  • bfitgirl
    bfitgirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm going to Orlando for christmas and have done a little bit of research today! this is what I got: Quote from some review site but thought it was helpful so cut n pasted it for myself!

Tip #1: It will kill you, but if you get to WWoHP when it opens, do NOT run to join the crowds streaming into Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. Instead, get in line for Ollivanders. I have never in my life run from rope-drop directly to a gift shop, but in this case it was worth it. The little “wand chooses you” show they do for about 20 people at a time in Ollivanders is cute, but it is SO not worth waiting an hour in line for. See it first with only a 5- or 10-minute wait and then run to Forbidden Journey. At least that one has a partially shaded queue with interesting things to look at! After the show, they herd you into what I think was the Owl Post shop, or maybe Dervish & Banges. We dashed straight out to get in line for Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, and then every time we went back it was so mobbed by people coming out of the wand shop that we never really got a good look at it. Now I wish we’d taken the extra time to see it.

Tip #2: When you get to Forbidden Journey, you will see a huge line all the way back down the path to the castle, and you will freak out. The best tip we learned prior to going was THIS LINE IS NOT FOR THE RIDE. It is for the lockers where you have to stash anything bigger than a point-and-shoot camera! Bypass this line by going up the path to the exit for the ride’s gift shop, passing through the shop, and accessing the nearly empty back section of lockers that the people lining up at the other entrance don’t seem to see.

Buy Butterbeer frozen at Hog’s Head not the stalls.
    The candy sweets don’t taste as nice as they look :sad: so don't waste your money!
    (Finish Quote)

I'd love to know how you got on, will you report back?
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who suggest going right. All of the most popular rides (Hulk, Spider Man, etc) are to the left, so that's the way the crowds tend to go.

I was there only a couple of months after HP opened. I'm not a fan, so I wasn't super impressed, but the lines were very reasonable so we did the rides. I have always loved Dueling Dragons (or whatever they call it now). The HP ride was cheesy, but fun.

Butterbeer is awesome!