What burns the most calories the quickest?

Options
What exercise burns the most calories in the shortest amount of time?

Replies

• heddy90
    heddy90 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Jumpropes are supposed to be highly effective. Get's kinda boring just jumping rope after a while though (and very exhausting), so I do it like a circuit training. Strength, jumprope, strenght, jumprope, and so on.
  • jtgilfoy
    jtgilfoy Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Sprint cross country skiing at extremely high elevation. Given the logistical concerns associated with that... what exercise do you like? Probably better to do something you enjoy and will stick with.
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    This is an impossible to answer question. In theory the answer to it would either be running or swimming, but to burn a lot with either activity you have to be good at them. You have to maintain a strong pace over a long distance. Since most people can't just up and run a few six to eight minute miles on day one, you cna't expect to burn a ton of calories on day one. Jumping rope is effective, but again you have to be able to do it for more than a minute or two, and you have to push hard to get the full benefit. The only real answer is "the exercise you can do regularly and at a good pace for awhile most days."
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    What burns the most calories the quickest - that'd be fire.

As for exercise, I agree with the above poster saying to pick something you like and can stick with.
    For me it's running.
    I tried zumba but i am just no good at it, its still fun, but by the time i cart the hubby out of the house and get the dog settled in another room... too much work.
    rope jumping is effective, but i find it boring. and it's another no-dog activity (he tries to grab the rope and tug).
    i thought the recumbent bike was less intense than running, but it really just depends on the effort you put into it, and you can't compare until you've built up a certain level of muscle for each sport.
    I see people logging as many calories on their ellipticals, or doing videos etc as i do running, so they must work just fine also.

You get out of it what you put into it. Just find something that works for you.

Oh, and the next poster will probably tell you all about HIIT, and the one after that will impress on you the importance of heavy lifting :wink:
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    For me personally it is swimming. If I do 30 min of breaststroke and 30 minutes of back and freestyle together I can burn 800 in and hour. BUT I am a large woman and at present I burn more calories because of my size. When I lose more weight , than the amount of cals goes down per burn. Also the more proficient I get it goes down also. this last one is hard to calculate. I love to swim and will do it for the hour without breaks except to tuen. Can't do a flip turn!LOL
  • RancidPolecat2
    Options
    The intensity is also important. Research Tabata.
  • giaciccone
    giaciccone Posts: 257
    Options
    Swimming is a great calorie burner, if you enjoy that sort of thing.
    My trainer actually recommended that I warm up on the stair-master for about 5-10 minutes before doing weight/strength training activities around the gym, then when I'm finished with my strength training go back to cardio - any cardio I like. But apparently the stair-master is an EXCELLENT way to burn off calories... It's very daunting after a long strength-training workout though. Trust me, I've been there.
  • wannabehuge
    Options
    Try to do interval training. Jog for 9 minutes, run or sprint as fast as you can for 1, go back to jogging for 9, etc. It's high intensity and a great calorie burner
  • Adrienneburrows1
    Adrienneburrows1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Try to do interval training. Jog for 9 minutes, run or sprint as fast as you can for 1, go back to jogging for 9, etc. It's high intensity and a great calorie burner

Or for those of us just getting started, 30 seconds full sprint followed by 60 seconds fast walk, repeat 10-15 times. Burns calories and builds endurance.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It depends greatly on your fitness level and abilities. Calorie burn is based on intensity--the less fit you are, the less likely that you have the fitness or endurance to do a "high calorie" workout.

Chasing calorie burns is not the best focus, esp for beginners. Most beginners will burn a lot more calories per workout doing low-mid level endurance training than they will from struggling to do a few minutes of high-intensity work. It is best to see tempo and higher-intensity interval training as tools to improve overall fitness level than as ends in themselves. Eventually, you can get to the point where you *can* sustain the harder workouts, in which case you then have more tools in your toolbox.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Ws2016 wrote: »

Or for those of us just getting started, 30 seconds full sprint followed by 60 seconds fast walk, repeat 10-15 times. Burns calories and builds endurance.

Not saying you should change your preferred routine, but, in general, there is no reason for someone "just getting started" to sprint--ever.

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I think spin class does.
  • Adrienneburrows1
    Adrienneburrows1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have been walking for a few mins and then running repeating this until I go for 30 mins
  • shan_sel
    shan_sel Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Weight training is proven to burn calories continuously even after you have stopped. Your metabolism is boosted for up to 36 hours after a lifting session. So, where cardio is burning all of your calories while you're working out only, weight training burns during AND after.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Search for workouts that implement Tabata and HIIT....short bursts, high intensity......major calorie burns in shorter times...Youtube has many!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    shan_sel wrote: »
    Weight training is proven to burn calories continuously even after you have stopped. Your metabolism is boosted for up to 36 hours after a lifting session. So, where cardio is burning all of your calories while you're working out only, weight training burns during AND after.
    @shan_sel
    The effect is so minimal as to be irrelevant. A small percantage of a small number.

And cardio has an EPOC effect too, amount is dependant on intensity. An even smaller percentage but of a potentially much bigger number.

By the way interval cardio is not a bigger/faster calorie burn than steady state - it just feels harder.

Quickest burn is the highest intensity an individual can consistently maintain for the duration of time available. Think one hour time trial on a bike for example.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    It depends greatly on your fitness level and abilities. Calorie burn is based on intensity--the less fit you are, the less likely that you have the fitness or endurance to do a "high calorie" workout.

Chasing calorie burns is not the best focus, esp for beginners. Most beginners will burn a lot more calories per workout doing low-mid level endurance training than they will from struggling to do a few minutes of high-intensity work. It is best to see tempo and higher-intensity interval training as tools to improve overall fitness level than as ends in themselves. Eventually, you can get to the point where you *can* sustain the harder workouts, in which case you then have more tools in your toolbox.
    THIS. Being overzealous to achieve fat loss as fast a possible, usually leads to people trying to achieve exercise regimens they likely cannot do. And that can lead to injury or even hospitalization if one hasn't been cleared to do that type of exercising.
    That's why when some people who've not done anything intense, try something intense and have heart attacks in some cases. Shoveling snow each year leads to a few people being hospitalized for attempting it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    shan_sel wrote: »
    EPOC is highly exaggerated. Weight training is to improve muscle conditioning, fitness and to either build up or retain it based on CICO.
    The actual RMR boost (because obviously one isn't training anymore) is minor compared to what many lifting enthusiasts are told. Think about it, if you burned 300 calories lifting, can you eat 500 calories extra because of EPOC and lose weight? Nope.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

Well said, especially the bolded.