Mirena IUD and weight gain?

Options
I've read plently of horror stories now about Mirena, but within the next few months, I am going to be setting up an appointment to have Mirena inserted. Are there any of you who have had Mirena? What were your experiences with it?
I am currently on oral contraceptives, Loestrin 24 Fe, and I haven't gained any weight with that...so will this be a smooth transition?
I'm really hoping to not gain any weight with the Mirena, but like I've said... the horror stories have scared me pretty bad.
Help? "/

Replies

• trhops
    trhops Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have had it for a year and a half now. I contribute my gains to when I am bad. I did research and Mirena has no weight gain effect. At least no more than a couple lbs. Just keep eating right and exercising and you will be fine :)
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    This is my second time on mirena iud. I had the first for three years and had backaches, breast tenderness, cramping all the time, spotting all the time, and bloating. I was positive it was what was wrong with my weight gain. After I got it out I did feel better cycle wise and no longer had any of those side effects, but I still gained weight. Looking back at my food choices I think the weight part was all me. I got it a second time, because my doctor talked me out of the copper iud (I can't use any forms of bc that have estrogen in them, so not a lot of choices). I don't know if it was placed better or what, but so far I haven't had any of the same problems I did the first time (had it for a year now). For the last year I've been maintaining my weight, possibly a bit of gain from bad choices. When I joined MFP I was able to lose weight immediately. I'll have to see if it plateaus or anything, but I think it'll be fine.
  • michelle_w_04
    michelle_w_04 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've had Mirena placed with both of my kids. I had no weight issues after my son but after I had my daughter my weight shot up quite a bit. I'm not convinced it was from Mirena, though. I look back and my eating habits were horrible(i.e. a large chocolate shake 4 times a week....). I still have it in and have been steadily losing the weight since changing my habits.
  • Ademann1
    Ademann1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of weight gain associated with Mirena and I am getting mt second one next week. I was fat before and I was able to lose wight with it in by making good choices. I wish I could blame something other than myself for my fatness. Oh wait, I have four kids.
  • whitlove2
    Options
    I love my Mirena! No weight gain for me that wasn't self-inflicted. I highly recommend it!
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I just had mirena inserted in April, shortly after I started trying to lose weight.

I don't think it has affected my weight at all.

I did gain weight because of a different medication years ago.
  • thedancingleper
    thedancingleper Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have a Mirena and it never caused me any problems. Birth control pills, on the other hand, screwed with my mood in a major way.
  • lauraniwa
    lauraniwa Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I didn't have any weight gain but it has been my second least form of birth control. Uncomfortable, cramps, irregualrities, blah blah. But I extra hated the nuva ring - THAT I had weight gain with. Now I'm back on low dose pill. Much better thank you! But it was convenient, brain free, birth control. I wouldn't go back though.
    Good luck! It seems people have had as many good experiences as bad. Hopefully you'll have one of the good stories.
  • jjtuttle
    Options
    I have read a few of the message boards here recently about Mirena and for all those who are suffering from it's horrible side effects such as weight gain and you are getting the response that it is your lack of activity and eating causing it, then my story will shed some light on it. I had my son April 14. By May 1st I was back to my pre-pregnancy weight of 116. I was working out regularly again (for two years now I do 45 min intense cardio followed by 45 minutes of low weight, high rep weights and abs I do this five times a week). I also have 5 children in total and a hubby that works across the country most of the time so my whole day is generally spent on my feet with not a lot of time for sitting around and snacking. I had the Mirena IUD put in for the past two months and have not changed my eating or my workout habits. actually I find I eat less and added running 30 minutes in the evening to my routine three days a week. I have gain 1 lb per week, have constant yeast infection and went from shaving my legs once a week to having to do it every day and still constantly look stubbley!!! So ladies who are suffering, it truly is nothing you are doing wrong and if people want to blame you for it, just ignore it. I am having mine taken out Aug. 28 and will update how quickly my weight dropped and my life resumed normality.
  • momto3as
    momto3as Posts: 12
    Options
    I love my Mirena! No weight gain for me that wasn't self-inflicted. I highly recommend it!

This is me. I have my second Mirena in right now. I'm on my 2nd year with this one presently. I haven't had a period or spotting since early Feb., and at that point I was only getting a light period every other month. Of course, I had to go through 6 weeks of straight bleeding when I first got it, then spotting for about two months after that time. Then... very slight periods to spotting to now nothing. I LOVE it!!
  • 110n2012
    Options
    I have never heard of weight gain associated with Mirena and I am getting mt second one next week. I was fat before and I was able to lose wight with it in by making good choices. I wish I could blame something other than myself for my fatness. Oh wait, I have four kids.
    Google it or read the boards on here and you will find thousands and thousands of women (including myself) who gained weight, couldn't lose weight, and many other worse side effects with Mirena! To suggest women are using Mirena as an excuse for their weight just because it hasn't affected you that way is really wrong to do. Some women have no problem with it but most do.
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I have read a few of the message boards here recently about Mirena and for all those who are suffering from it's horrible side effects such as weight gain and you are getting the response that it is your lack of activity and eating causing it, then my story will shed some light on it. I had my son April 14. By May 1st I was back to my pre-pregnancy weight of 116. I was working out regularly again (for two years now I do 45 min intense cardio followed by 45 minutes of low weight, high rep weights and abs I do this five times a week). I also have 5 children in total and a hubby that works across the country most of the time so my whole day is generally spent on my feet with not a lot of time for sitting around and snacking. I had the Mirena IUD put in for the past two months and have not changed my eating or my workout habits. actually I find I eat less and added running 30 minutes in the evening to my routine three days a week. I have gain 1 lb per week, have constant yeast infection and went from shaving my legs once a week to having to do it every day and still constantly look stubbley!!! So ladies who are suffering, it truly is nothing you are doing wrong and if people want to blame you for it, just ignore it. I am having mine taken out Aug. 28 and will update how quickly my weight dropped and my life resumed normality.

I think this is a good point. What I liked about what you said was that you ruled out the possibility of it being your exercise and food choices first, then thought it was the medicine. I have a heard a lot of stories like yours on various forums, and I let other people's experiences speak for my own. I assumed that since they ruled out other choices that I didn't have to bother trying them myself.

What I think women should take away from both sides is that it is important to consider all options and to not assume the same will be for them. For me it was my life style choices, not Mirena, but for a lot of others it has been the opposite. That said, the first time I used it I did have other symptoms that weren't related to weight. They went away within a couple weeks of taking it out (so obviously caused them). The second time I didn't have any of these side effects, so I guess that was a placement issue for me. There are definitely people who have problems due to the hormones, that's going to depend on the person's chemistry, so it may or may not be a problem for other people.

I think women should keep in mind that just because Mirena can be a cause for weight gain, doesn't mean that everyone who has weight gain on Mirena is having a side effect from it.
  • minlyn22
    minlyn22 Posts: 104 Member
    Options

Ditto! It's a fantastic option. It does hurt when being placed. Felt obligated to tell you that. But absolutely no weight gain related to it, no moodiness, no periods, no pills, ... I could go on and on. I've had it close to 5 years and totally plan to replace with the same. : ) Good luck to you and hope you have just as positive of an exerience with it that I have!
  • krim12
    krim12 Posts: 102
    Options
    I had one after my daughter in 2011 and i didnt gain any weight but i had trouble losing. I had it removed and dropped allthe weight from my baby in no time. I had been working out and eating pretty good the whole time i had it in but the weight just would not come off.
    I would expect to spot/bleed for the next 6 months if you get it in that was the worst part for me was the spotting/bleeding. After the first 3 months i had it i never got a period though.
  • HoopGrl
    HoopGrl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Not to be rude but I think some of you need to do further research on Mirena and weight gain. I found hundreds of personal stories about women like me who are active and eat healthy clean diets and gain weight regardless. I am a steamfitter (very physically demanding job) as well as I exercise daily to no avail, I've tried natural holistic weight loss supplements to along with a low calorie healthy clean diet and can't loose weight. Also, I was going through slight depression, bouts of anger, crying spells for no reason, headaches, sleeping problems, abdominal pains, swollen breast, loss of sexual drive, and many other symptoms.

After doing hours and hours of research in the last two days reading personal stories from hundreds of women all over the world I've decided to remove my Mirena IUD. Took only 30 seconds with no pain (I removed it myself).

I would suggest to all of you giving advice about getting the Mirena IUD and to the one who are considering it, please do a lot of research and know what you are getting into. I certainly would not recommended to my worst enemies.

HoopGrl
  • HoopGrl
    HoopGrl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Not to be rude but I think some of you need to do further research on Mirena and weight gain. I found hundreds of personal stories about women like me who are active and eat healthy clean diets and gain weight regardless. I am a steamfitter (very physically demanding job) as well as I exercise daily to no avail, I've tried natural holistic weight loss supplements to along with a low calorie healthy clean diet and can't loose weight. Also, I was going through slight depression, bouts of anger, crying spells for no reason, headaches, sleeping problems, abdominal pains, swollen breast, loss of sexual drive, and many other symptoms.

After doing hours and hours of research in the last two days reading personal stories from hundreds of women all over the world I've decided to remove my Mirena IUD. Took only 30 seconds with no pain (I removed it myself).

I would suggest to all of you giving advice about getting the Mirena IUD and to the one who are considering it, please do a lot of research and know what you are getting into. I certainly would not recommended to my worst enemies.

HoopGrl
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    I've had no problems with the Mirena. My periods are much lighter than when I had a copper IUD.
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    ChristinaOrtiz23 Posts: 1,546 Member
    Options
    I HAVE THE IUD, MY 5TH YEAR IS UP AND MAKING AN APPOINTMENT TO GET A NEW ONE! I LOVE IT AND NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH IT! I GOT FAT BECAUSE IM A FAT *kitten* AND LOVE FOOD LOL!!!
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I hated Mirena, but it seems that hormonal birth control in general doesn't agree with me. The depo shot made me lose hair at an alarming rate. Pills made me emotional (my mood swings were legendary). I regained the weight, that had been steadily dropping off from the birth of my kiddo during the 6 months prior, within 2 months of getting Mirena. I honestly didn't notice it until all of a sudden my clothes weren't fitting and stepped on a scale. I thought it was broken. Can we say denial?

I had it removed and don't regret my decision. It's different for everybody, though. I wish you luck!
  • amandarenay1985
    Options
    I've had my Mirena for 2 years and I love it. I never noticed any changes in my weight from it, only from the crap I had been eating! Now I am getting healthy and have lost 20 lbs. in about 4 months, so I doubt it has any effect on weight loss. At least not for me. The cramping was pretty bad when it was put in, but my periods now are WAAAAYYYY lighter & shorter than they used to be, and no hormone actually goes into your bloodstream unlike BC pills, which can cause major mood swings. It's also cheaper when you compare the monthly cost of bc pills to the one time cost of mirena. WINNING!!!