Vegan vs. eating clean

Options
2»

Replies

• GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want under your TDEE to lose weight.

This includes McDonalds and HoHos and twinkies.

^This.

Why do people love putting themselves on restrictive diets?
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    One clarification that needs to be made here: Veganism encompasses much more than diet, as vegans do not use animal products in any aspect of life. The correct term when talking about diet alone is "plant-based." Sorry to be picky, but it's an important distinction.

I would recommend finding some low-calorie foods you really enjoy and making them your staples. I am vegan, and I make a lot of meals with sweet potatoes, avocados, kale, portobello mushrooms, shirataki noodles, and beets. It's easy to eat "clean" and plant-based when you find some foods you really love.

You won't automatically lose weight eating plant-based, but it can open you up to healthy foods that are interesting and new to you. Try to cook for yourself rather than eating prepared foods, and you'll be on the right track. I try my best to shop exclusively in bulk and produce, and that helps too.

I try very hard to not use animal products. I know the difference between the diet and lifestyle. I tend to go organic as much as I can as well. Like I said earlier, I was used to be a vegetarian for many years, still a member of peta and a volunteer for the SPCA. I love animals. Thus why I said earlier I was wondering if I should go back to being a vegetarian or if I should step it up and not eat anything made from animals, seeing as how I don't eat dairy already, or any meat besides chicken, which I could easily give up due to the way they are slaughtered.
  • VeggieKidMandy
    Options
    Eat whatever you want under your TDEE to lose weight.

This includes McDonalds and HoHos and twinkies.

^This.

Why do people love putting themselves on restrictive diets?

Im not really putting myself on a restrictive diet, I am just changing my lifestyle, again. haha. Its only restrictive if its a challenge and you dont enjoy it.
  • VeggieKidMandy
    Options
    I hope it goes well for you, whatever you go for - I love almond butter & almond milk (well, the low salt, high almond kind) so I was glad to see you mention them. I know soy is divisive, but I personally love tofu and tempeh and consider them pretty clean.
    Try to hit your protein macro - I'd never taken that seriously, like a lot of vegans, but I have serious fatigue issues if I just live off carbs like I'd like to. My muscle tone is shocking!

Thanks for your support, I should have mentioned earlier that I am an animal rights activist, so going vegan would make sense for me. I just didnt think to add it when I made my post. I will deff and try hit my protein quota. I dont want to look ill.
  • 123bree1997
    Options
    I have celiac disease so it is not wise to eat gluten lol