Do you log "bathing the dog/s as exercise?"

Options
Kidding. I'm bored and procrastinating over housework, lol. I did bathe the dogs though, and got quite the workout. The bigger one alone could be considered heavy lifting, not to mention something akin to cattle roping.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't ........unless you have several dogs and it took a couple hours.. It's not that strenuous.
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    No.
    But then again, I don't have a dog. :-)
  • jadedzen
    jadedzen Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    i only would if you spend a few hours grooming him, or work at a dog grooming business. I have a mini poodle who requires a lot of brushing/clipping/etc and i don't log grooming her. I have seen people log grooming horses though, if you feel that applies then go for it ;)

(i'm procrastinating housework too. it's saturday, i don't want to do this.)
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't ........unless you have several dogs and it took a couple hours.. It's not that strenuous.
    That would depend entirely on the dog. Ever tried bathing a 150 lb uncooperative Newfoundland? :wink:
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I know you don't really care about an answer to the question but it's sort of interesting. I have an 80 pound dog and I can assure you that bathing her is rather a workout. I don't count the calories but wouldn't hold it against others if they did. It doesn't really matter how you burn calories. A formal exercise or workout doesn't make the burn any more significant or real. Early man and our grandparents did no formal exercise but they sure burned the calories.
  • Alish1974
    Alish1974 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. I have a 65 pound hound/beagle mix who will not help at all when he is being washed he just plays dead like an anvil and a 45-50lb black lab. They get washed one right after the other and when we are done I am COVERED in sweat. I most certainly do log it. You can get a calorie total from your HRM or webmd has it in their calorie calculator. I logged over 6 miles yesterday and it was nothing compared to bathing them.
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    It depends on the dog!...My daughter adopted a dog that you have to chase around for an hour just to get her near a bath (((not to mention the energy that it takes to keep her from jumping out)). That dog has been barred from several grooming establishments!
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Only if you had to chase him around the block a few times to catch him before the dreaded bath!! !:laugh:
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options

I didn't, I was kidding. :tongue:
  • stfriend
    Options
    That would depend entirely on the dog. Ever tried bathing a 150 lb uncooperative Newfoundland? :wink:

OMG! We have a Newfie that comes to visit every so often. Our dogs aren't that big so its a little shocking to open the door and see something the size of a small horse looking at you. I've often said I'm glad I don't have to bathe him, lol.
  • stfriend
    Options
    Only if you had to chase him around the block a few times to catch him before the dreaded bath!! !:laugh:

Not around the block, just through the house and under a couple beds. :laugh:
  • trenley
    trenley Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My dog struggles so much, I count it as light cleaning! You burn calories doing everything, so you might as well log some of it, especially if it wears you out.
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    LOL. No, but it feels like work, that's for sure.

We should come up with the most ridiculous form of cardio we can.

I'm going to go with "cleaning the grill and patting out burgers". Which I'm about to go do.
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. I have a 65 pound hound/beagle mix who will not help at all when he is being washed he just plays dead like an anvil and a 45-50lb black lab. They get washed one right after the other and when we are done I am COVERED in sweat. I most certainly do log it. You can get a calorie total from your HRM or webmd has it in their calorie calculator. I logged over 6 miles yesterday and it was nothing compared to bathing them.

This^^^^ x2 45 lb dead weight beagles. I doubt I would log it, but OMG... what a workout!! lol
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    The only version of a dog bath in our household is throwing a stick in the pond, or taking a long walk in the rain. any other attempts would likely end up in calorie deficit through blood loss... luckily he's a very clean dog. and he might not bite - me.
  • stfriend
    Options
    LOL. No, but it feels like work, that's for sure.

We should come up with the most ridiculous form of cardio we can.

I'm going to go with "cleaning the grill and patting out burgers". Which I'm about to go do.

Hmmm...I could add in taking the food scrap bucket to the garden. It involves an incline on the way back so definitely exercise! Except its gross so I usually make my kids do it. :tongue:
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    :laugh: You can log bathing my two dogs as swimming as you get soaked trying to do it. :laugh:
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Lol. It used to take myself and my sister dressed in swimsuits to get in the bath with the family dog to bath her as she used to make a dash for freedom at any opportunity. I reckon 10 calories per minute :bigsmile:
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I would do it outside in the summer - chain him up to the fence and get out the hose. So much easier! :laugh: