how's about...

Options
We let the intellectually disadvantaged people follow the illogical and unsound advice given by other non-intellectuals wanting to pretend they actually know what they're talking about. Then when they don't get results they can cry to the original, experienced individuals who tried to tell them how to go about reaching their goals in a healthy, sustainable way. It seems that people want validation more than actual advice until they realize that reaching your goals actually does require some degree of competence. You don't fall upon a ripped body. Just sayin'.

There's even a meme for this type of dissemination of information...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAGc4_bNQnK-YHnsBSBZDiCUMKN0Ub2Vvse-v1S8rwr1cXATfJdlBkpW-CSg

Now I realize I may have upset a few people but I am up to my ears in disbelief at the incredibly absurd posts and advice given on many of these threads. So my apologies if you feel discouraged or attacked--see it as encouragement to find reputable information.

Replies

• sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I <3 you. That is all.
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Because calling someone "intellectually disadvantaged" isn't offensive at all. We could just tell them "Hey, stupid, you're doing it all wrong!" Does that work better? Thats kinda what it sounds like you're saying. Or maybe we can just ignore the ones who aren't getting it and move on to the ones that do, thats my usual strategy. No offense.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Because calling someone "intellectually disadvantaged" isn't offensive at all. We could just tell them "Hey, stupid, you're doing it all wrong!" Does that work better? Thats kinda what it sounds like you're saying. Or maybe we can just ignore the ones who aren't getting it and move on to the ones that do, thats my usual strategy. No offense.

None taken. It wouldn't be problematic at all if they were receptive to the advice being given--but that's usually not the case with the ones who need the advice the most.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I just don't think people like taking advice when they're getting it from someone with a condescending attitude, even if it is ultimately better advice.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I understand what you're saying though. People tend to believe everything they read without question far too frequently.
    Options
    I just don't think people like taking advice when they're getting it from someone with a condescending attitude, even if it is ultimately better advice.

I guess you're assuming the advice is coming from a condescending attitude. GENERALLY (not always) I give advice from a place of compassion and understanding--which is demonstrated by the fact that a string of 20 questions in a PM is met with patience and thoughtful advice. Sometimes yeah it can reach condescension but not initially.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

I guess you're assuming the advice is coming from a condescending attitude. GENERALLY (not always) I give advice from a place of compassion and understanding--which is demonstrated by the fact that a string of 20 questions in a PM is met with patience and thoughtful advice. Sometimes yeah it can reach condescension but not initially.

It's when people are purposely vulgar and rude to so-called 'intellectually disadvantaged' people that I wonder 'why be so cruel?'
  • elrickis1337
    elrickis1337 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    because theres only one way to do things right???????
    Options
    because theres only one way to do things right???????

Not even close but there are several WRONG ways to do things. 200 pound female eating 1200 calories whilst doing an hour of cardio a day...WRONG! (just one example)