What am I doing wrong?

Options
I feel like my weight loss is going nowhere. I started 3 months ago at 246. I weighed myself today at 242. My lowest being 239. I am frustrated :grumble: I feel like I am working out hard, weight training 2-3 times a week, and I'm taking a kickboxing class and a cardio or pilates class once a week. I feel like my eating habits are okay. I have a mishap here and there but otherwise I make good choices and stay under my goal. I don't know where I am going wrong. My weight just isn't budging!

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    If you want experienced people to see what might be wrong, you could open your diary and let people take a look at your food.
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Any chance it's that time of the month? Could be water weight for that reason. Also, are your muscles sore? When you work your muscles, they retain water to help repair themselves.

Make sure you're eating enough to compensate for all the exercise you're doing.
  • chicadejmu
    chicadejmu Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Have you lost inches or do you notice that your clothes are looser? It sounds like you could be building some muscle - which weighs more than fat and would definitely effect the scale.

If that's not the case, you might want to consider getting a physical so that your Dr. can help you see better results.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary so this is just a guess. Too many carbs and not enough protein and fats. Cut your carbs and up the other two and you will see a loss.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I feel like my weight loss is going nowhere. I started 3 months ago at 246. I weighed myself today at 242. My lowest being 239. I am frustrated :grumble: I feel like I am working out hard, weight training 2-3 times a week, and I'm taking a kickboxing class and a cardio or pilates class once a week. I feel like my eating habits are okay. I have a mishap here and there but otherwise I make good choices and stay under my goal. I don't know where I am going wrong. My weight just isn't budging!

Well, if you are pushing your body harder than you did previously, you are asking it to improve.

Those improvements include weight gain of energy stores, glucose/water.

So good.

But for weight loss to be so little to none while you are gaining that weight, you must be losing fat.

Don't let the scale be the only measurement if you are working out. Measure many body parts since you can't spot reduce, and you want to have a chance to measure where you are losing.

Also confirm you are feeding those workouts good enough.
  • Taneil27
    Taneil27 Posts: 253
    Options
    Thanks all.

I do have my diary open to my friends. I think I might be getting too many carbs, but I do stay under what MFP gives. I just don't think I am choosing the right carbs every time. I love bread and pasta. Way too much. I'll have to work on that. I keep trying to tell myself it's muscle and I do see a little change like in my arms and stuff, and I am feeling a lot stronger. There is just no way that I can't be losing weight..... I will really be watching my bad carb and sugars intake....
  • lovezies
    lovezies Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hey! I am in the same boat. I have lost about 5-6 lbs in about 2 months. But I did start taking my measurements in the beginning & I'm down about 18 inches. But it is still frustrating to not really see the scale move. I'm just hoping that if I stick with it I will see the scale move sooner rather than later! Hang in there!
  • PalmSpringsCal
    Options
    If anyone reduces calories enough they will lose weight.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If anyone reduces calories enough they will lose weight.

Until such time that an extreme deficit causes metabolism to slow down and you no longer lose weight because you no longer have a deficit. Then you won't lose weight.

So then what, go lower yet?

Blanket statement to reduce calories doesn't really take into account many factors that in fact reducing may make worse.
  • PalmSpringsCal
    Options
    I made a true statement,for her to consider,and nothing more. One should alway DYOD.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Thanks all.

I do have my diary open to my friends. I think I might be getting too many carbs, but I do stay under what MFP gives. I just don't think I am choosing the right carbs every time. I love bread and pasta. Way too much. I'll have to work on that. I keep trying to tell myself it's muscle and I do see a little change like in my arms and stuff, and I am feeling a lot stronger. There is just no way that I can't be losing weight..... I will really be watching my bad carb and sugars intake....

Have you had a full checkup and blood panel to eliminate Thyroid disorders, PCOS, Insulin Resistance, Diabetes, etc, etc, etc?