Any Walkers out there?

Options
I see lots of runners posts, I am a walker/hiker and have currently been into hilly walks, this means I dont go to far, but I do get a good workout in, especially because the hills that I go up and down are between 10-12% inclines.

Anyone else a walker?

Replies

• SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I walk and hike, but I also jog a bit. I personally find that I don't get as good of a workout from walking as I do from other exercise. I tend to walk for longer periods of time (60-120 minutes) in comparison to my jogging/walking when I only go for 30-45 minutes.

I generally walk 4-6 days a week, but for variable amounts of time.
  • kidsmom3
    kidsmom3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I walk 4 miles a day thru my neighborhood. I pick all the hills for a better workout but still always wonder if I'm doing enough. According to Mfp I only burn about 275 daily.
  • Music4Hym777
    Music4Hym777 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I walk 4 miles a day thru my neighborhood. I pick all the hills for a better workout but still always wonder if I'm doing enough. According to Mfp I only burn about 275 daily.

It tells me that I am burning somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 for the hill walk that I do (usually about an hour)
  • kidsmom3
    kidsmom3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't put in uphill. Just walking 3.0 or 3.5. I guess I jip myself for not doing that but it seems like a hassle to differentiate uphill downhill and just level walking.
  • Music4Hym777
    Music4Hym777 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I don't put in uphill. Just walking 3.0 or 3.5. I guess I jip myself for not doing that but it seems like a hassle to differentiate uphill downhill and just level walking.

There is an exercise on here that says "hiking - hills" thats what I put in.
  • JoLo27
    JoLo27 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I love walking / hiking and normally go on a couple of trips / holidays a year. In the few months before a trip, I go out walking most days but mostly for an hour or two at a time. I'm so hungry when I get back that I have to eat back the calories that I've burned but it does make me feel better and certainly tones my legs!

On a walking holiday, we walk anything up to 8 hours a day. At the beginning of June, I walk Hadrian's Wall and managed to lose weight that week even though I literally doubled my food intake!

In my experience, walking alone won't lead to weight loss but as part of a healthier way of living, it certainly helps.
  • BarbACona
    Options
    I walk 4 miles 5-6 days a week and am just beginning to implement C2K5 three days a week. I love walking but to get a good calorie burn I do have to walk quite a ways. I have been enjoying the outdoors all Summer, walking on a treadmill come Winter, I know will not be as much fun.