Last meal before diet

Options
Before you started your diet, did you have special 'last meal'?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Nope, because I don't consider any of this a diet - it's a healthy lifestyle change. Dang, calling it a last meal makes it sound like you're headed for the electric chair! :tongue:

But seriously - I still eat burgers, pizza, ice cream, wine, beer, bread, etc - but not every night, and not in mass quantities. It took some time - logging my foods was a real eye-opener for me. I thought I ate pretty well, but tracking everything showed me that I wasn't getting enough protein, my sodium was off the charts, and my portions were way too big. So I started making adjustments - watching my portions, reading labels, opting for better foods with more of the good stuff and less of the bad.

Depriving myself of foods just makes me want them more, and I don't ever call a dish of ice cream or a slice of pizza a "cheat meal" - it's part of my life, and I am able to fit them into my daily goals. A "diet" is generally a temporary thing, and what happens when you stop that "diet"? The weight comes back on when you go back to your old ways. I did that several times over, which is why I knew this time around it had to be a lifestyle change, so I could get the weight off and keep it off, and be healthy. And it's workin'! ::bigsmile:
  • Soozie1978
    Soozie1978 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I agree with Amy. I didn't have a "last meal" and I still eat anything that I want, sometimes. I have also made gradual changes as I have learned what a healthy portion is and have learned how to "maximize" my calories by eating lean protein, healthy fats, veggies and fruits, with minimal breads, pastas, rice, etc. I think that one of the things that will cause people to fail is trying to eliminate certain foods completely. Once you have told yourself "Never again" you can think of nothing but eating that food. :explode:
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    I have to go with those who posted before me. I did not have a "last meal" because it makes it sound like I will never again have those foods. I still have pizza, pasta, burgers, ice cream, beer, wine, ect. I just watch my portions, don't have them daily, and mix in healthier options with them. Now, instead of eating half a pizza, I have a couple slices and a salad for an example.

Heck, I have even had country fried steak, fried potatoes, and gravy! Though, it was for my birthday!
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    nope. Usually I have a piece of chocolate, or a cupcake everyday. Just keep it within my cal limit. So no special meal. I follow the Reverse Taper Diet and the Anything Goes Diet...I can have whatever i want as long as it's within my cal goals.
  • lilacsun
    lilacsun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    No. I just literally found MFP signed up and started right away. No time to plan like that:) But you can still have the goodies to once in a while. Just plan ahead and you can still be on track.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not on a diet.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Good grief you sound like you are being executed.... Why???? I did not do a big meal change, just changed my eating habits, and my relationship with food. I still indulge now and again but I fit it in my calories for the day.

It should be a lifestyle change - not as if you are going to be executed!
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I have done the same thing I as the other posters before me. I have made gradual changes. The last few weeks have been completely off because of vacations and traveling for me. I have been drinking more soda than I have in 6 months and I don't like it. After Monday going to cut way back on sodas again and start eating better again. I have exercised every day but not as mich as I was before vacations started this summer. I will be doing a little more this week, but after end of September I am going to kick some serious *kitten* to finish my weight loss journey. I am happy to learn this summer I know I can do things to maintain my weight.
  • HazelCaz
    HazelCaz Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Pizza.....that was my last meal. :)
  • small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Nope, I just all of a sudden decided I was really gonna do it this time and started tracking right away :smile:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    YES!! Every Saturday and Sunday for 10 years! I went from 5 lbs overweight to 55 pounds overweight. For me, when I said "One last (input food)" and I will diet on Monday........many Mondays came and went.

Due to life, I put back on 15 of the 36 pounds I lost 3 years ago. Now that I am healthier mentally and physically, I decided to start eating healthier and exercising more.

On a Wednesday, at lunch time. Just like that.......ordered a spinach salad with grilled chicken breast.

For me the last meal never happens.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    The OP's question is a fair one. My answer is no. I just stopped eating like crap. Before, every meal was extremely special. Hahaha
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    not that i remember..sometimes i go overboard like fat burgers, or buffets..i pay for it for a few days, but to me, indulging is part of the process..i gain then lose it..you dont have to completely give up the unhealthy foods..you have to give into the cravings sometimes, just dont make it a every other day kind of habit :wink: good luck
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i actually did have one final huge meal before i started at the gym and began my heatlhy eating. huge steak with wine and all the 'trimmings' plus a large slice of chocolate cake. a year later (and minus 43 pounds!) i had another steak with my hubby on our anniversary. i still induldge every now and then, but not to the extent of that many calories at once.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Nope, because I don't consider any of this a diet - it's a healthy lifestyle change. Dang, calling it a last meal makes it sound like you're headed for the electric chair! :tongue:

But seriously - I still eat burgers, pizza, ice cream, wine, beer, bread, etc - but not every night, and not in mass quantities. It took some time - logging my foods was a real eye-opener for me. I thought I ate pretty well, but tracking everything showed me that I wasn't getting enough protein, my sodium was off the charts, and my portions were way too big. So I started making adjustments - watching my portions, reading labels, opting for better foods with more of the good stuff and less of the bad.

Depriving myself of foods just makes me want them more, and I don't ever call a dish of ice cream or a slice of pizza a "cheat meal" - it's part of my life, and I am able to fit them into my daily goals. A "diet" is generally a temporary thing, and what happens when you stop that "diet"? The weight comes back on when you go back to your old ways. I did that several times over, which is why I knew this time around it had to be a lifestyle change, so I could get the weight off and keep it off, and be healthy. And it's workin'! ::bigsmile:

perfect response! : )
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Pizza.....that was my last meal. :)

I had pizza yesterday, I woke up late and it was convenient and calorie heavy lol. ;)
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Perfectdiamonds1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    No 'last meal' here. I consider this a lifestyle change. Will not be on a diet the rest of my life. So I just consider this as making better choices, you can eat but just can eat unheathly foods all the time.
  • reneecgc
    reneecgc Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the posts. I allow myself to eat whatever I want as long as I am in my calorie goal. Somethings I choose not to eat very much anymore because it is not worth to me-like pasta. Making healthier choices is what I do most of the time. I hate it when people tease and say I can't eat something. I can eat anything I want if a choose eat it. I have finally stopped dieting and started a healthier life style. I did eat pizza the night before I started this change in life style, but only had one slice because I was getting weighed in the next day. I make my own thin crust pizza now that I love. I also eat ice cream quite a bit, but it is usually lowfat yogurt and I measure everything.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Kind of. I was on vacation and knew the day after we came back I would be making healthy choices. I had a fantastic salad from Fridays (i'm sure it had a billion calories in it anyway) and beer. oh beer...I still miss it. I'm actually one month sober today. CRAZY!!
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I actually did, in a way.

I've always seen this as a lifestyle and have enjoyed my treats whenever I felt the need, but recently l decided to make another lifestyle change and try to eat as naturally as possible. By that I simply mean that I will still have a cupcake when I want one, but it will be a cupcake made from simple ingredients, not some franken-cupcake that came out of a box and is filled with things I cannot pronounce.

No more diet sodas, sugar-free coffee creamer, processed "light" foods for me. I'd rather put whole foods into my body, whether they be in the form of chicken and veggies or in the form of some nice homemade cookies.

That being said, when I decided to cut out the artificial stuff, I did have one last day where I ate a few things I won't be having again; Ruffles Sour Cream and Cheddar potato chips and a Twix Bar... two of my favorite Franken-foods. I will certainly have chips and candy again, but they won't be these particular products.