Tailbone pain after weight loss..

Options
Have any of you had tailbone pain since losing weight? What I'm looking for is people who have experienced this and were able to relieve it and what they did to to achieve that.

The more I research it, the more I think it's from losing 40+ lbs and the cushion of fat that protected it.

If you've had this problem how did you help yourself? I've already tried various cushions, sitting on the edge of my chair, pain pills, not sitting on it at all, etc. The only thing that brings relief is to lie on my side! At this point it even hurts to walk and I cannot just sit around here.

I do have an mri scheduled and an appt with a pain clinic but I'm looking for any help I can get until then.

Would building up my butt muscles help with this? I don't think I could do squats but maybe a nautilus machine that you lie down on at a health club would help, I don't know!

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Anyone? helpppp
  • brisadeabril
    Options
    I feel that too, but I don't know why. It is uncomfortable when I try doing crunches.
  • LadyFisch
    LadyFisch Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey I know what you are talking about. I was at my lowest weight in March in 28 years. It acutally hurt to sit on the wood chairs in the kitchen. I've put about 10 pounds on now and it doesn't hurt quite as bad well it does hurt putting on the 10 pounds but it's not in the butt . :sad: It was so bad I had the Doc do an xray but it was neg so I was good. She wanted to do an MRI but since it wasn't broken I wasn't going mess with it. I have the recumbant bike and I have to be careful how I have the seat set on it. If I am reclining to much it hurts pretty bad. I got one of those cushions that's made for this. Has the cut out on the back side of the cushion. It helps some. Hope you can figure what will work for you. If you ride a bike get some riders shorts. I have them for my real bike. Haven't ridden much this summer but it did help last year.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Posting. I have no answers, but I do have this problem when I'm leaning back in my computer chair.

Hope someone can help us out! Also, I hope your pain becomes manageable soon!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I only get it when I am in the tub and my knees also hurt when sleeping on my side since it's bone on bone, I thinks its due to the fact that the fat cushion is gone. I don't think there is a "cure".

Thin people I've asked have this same problem and always have, I think it's just new to us and we have to get used to it.
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Yep, got that too! don't know what to do to fix it. Helps a little to go to the chiropractor, he adjusts my hips and it relieves the pain some. I get regular adjustments, once a week at a minimum.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Have any of you had tailbone pain since losing weight? What I'm looking for is people who have experienced this and were able to relieve it and what they did to to achieve that.

The more I research it, the more I think it's from losing 40+ lbs and the cushion of fat that protected it.

If you've had this problem how did you help yourself? I've already tried various cushions, sitting on the edge of my chair, pain pills, not sitting on it at all, etc. The only thing that brings relief is to lie on my side! At this point it even hurts to walk and I cannot just sit around here.

I do have an mri scheduled and an appt with a pain clinic but I'm looking for any help I can get until then.

Would building up my butt muscles help with this? I don't think I could do squats but maybe a nautilus machine that you lie down on at a health club would help, I don't know!

Thank you in advance!

Stretch really well in that area, it should make it go away after a while. I got it badly when I started running and stretching cured it. It hurt so bad I almost couldn't drive.
  • mayday1969
    mayday1969 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Not me, but I have a very good friend that has this issue. It happened when she lost a bunch of weight and she had an MRI and her tailbone is twisted. The muscles were tense from supporting her weight that they twisted her tail bone and when she lost the weight is when she lost her cushion. She had had several therapies. She is not better. It feels good to sit on the floor, or to stand. She had to get a secial bike and seat to accomodate this problem for when she goes biking.
    Good luck to you! If you find anyway to get relief, let us know, I can pass it on to my friend.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Is it possible you bruised your tailbone working out? A bruised tailbone is EXTREMELY painful and takes a lot of time to heal from. It could also be a pilonidal cyst, try to check and see if it is warm and inflamed around the tailbone area. If it is, see a doctor right away!

If it is a bruised tailbone, there is not much you can do except ice and rest, lay on your side as much as possible and you can buy a special pillow to sit on a the drug store to relieve pressure :)

Good luck.
  • Uxorial
    Uxorial Posts: 38
    Options
    I have sciatica and it is similar to that. Maybe google it and see if that sounds like what it is. There are a few stretches a chiropractor (or probably a RMT or someone) can show you that will help if that is what it is.
  • PixelTreason
    PixelTreason Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Yes! I had this problem.

It gradually got better - I think it was all the squats I've been doing.

That was just the actual "tailbone" BONE pain. I also have sciatica but that's a separate story.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    pilonidal cyst

Google this. I do not believe in a higher power, but I pray none of you have to go through this.
  • kaypat09
    kaypat09 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I feel that too, but I don't know why. It is uncomfortable when I try doing crunches.

UGH! I tried to google this and I don't know what the issue is. Every time I sit for too long or try to do crunches without a massive amount of padding beneath me, my tailbone KILLS.

Sigh.
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I have tailbone pain, and have for years. I never thought about it but I think you are onto something, my butt is F-L-A-T! Guess I'll go do some squats now. :laugh:
  • Elayne10
    Elayne10 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I started having tailbone pain after losing 85 pounds. I have a sit down job and couldn't take the pain anymore and finally ended up in a surgeon's office. Diagnosed with small pilonidal cyst so he said would do surgery for the cyst and than "shave" my tailbone if it was needed. The cyst ended up being nothing but my tailbone, instead of being curved, jutted out in the opposite direction it was supposed to be going, thus excruciating pain. He actually cut the end of my tailbone off. After that it took about six months for the pain to be totally gone, very slow healing process. I can now sit in comfort and actually rode my bike all summer/fall without any difficulty. I never had an MRI, just went right to surgery because they saw a cyst on x-rays, but I wonder if an MRI would show any abnormality of the tailbone. I can relate to all of you who have this pain. It's not fun and I hope you find relief.
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I get this when I do too many CLIMBING exercises... Stairmill (stairmaster), uphill walking, high knees cybex....
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I injured my tailbone as a child flying out a swing backwards and landied on my bottom. I have tailbone pain all the time and can't do some yoga positions. I tried padded cyclist shorts but the padding does not go high enough I am considering making my own.
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    Options
    OMG yes!! I would have it especially when I sat for longer periods of time. I realized it the day I had a 5 hour flight and by the end I was literally having tears stream down my face from the pain. My husband brought up to me that maybe I do not sit right anymore. I was like WTF are you talking about? Then I started to be aware of it. When I was heavier I slouched a lot because of my weight. If I tried to sit upright it really hurt my back. This also meant I was sitting on the backside of my butt and not directly on. At work where I sometimes have to sit at a computer for a longer period of time I started making sure my *kitten* sat on the chair and not my upper butt/lower back. I sit with a straight back and my pain has gone away completely. My back doesn't hurt because no longer is it trying to support 330 pounds..

I would just be aware of your posture when you are sitting. We have had to literally change everything about the way our body moves and does simple tasks as sitting and you may realize that you are sitting and putting pressure on your tailbone vs. on your booty cheeks.

Hope this helps!
  • leska1216
    Options
    Inflatable donut cushion, like the one they recommend for pregnant women. Ice, ice, ice. Some heat. I don't do heat but ice everything all the time. Good luck.
  • Brian_VA
    Brian_VA Posts: 125
    Options
    Is the pain related to your coccyx (tail bone):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2682410/

There is no "cure". Losing fat around this area means that sitting is putting pressure on the bone. A "donut" style pillow helps.

Here is a page of "manual manipulations" that may help you find some relief. Just do whatever very gently, and see if it helps.

http://www.coccyx.org/treatmen/manual.htm

I found a technique that helped that involved manipulating the tip of the coccyx up with very light pressure. Worked for me the few times I did it.

My symptoms have improved and now only have this after a lengthy (3+ hour) sit - like on an airplane or long car ride. I find I can twist a little and sit on alternating cheeks for a few minutes and then can sit normally again. Key for me is that when it starts to hurt to take the pressure off of it quickly.

Good luck!