Clean Eating

Options
So i'm sure some of you are going to roll your eyes at this and to be honest i feel pretty silly for asking and i think i have a rough idea anyway but can someone please elaberate on what exactly clean eating involves????

Replies

• GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Eating food which has been irradiated and bleached.
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    Basically it means eating whole unprocessed foods. Meat is included and people argue over it a lot on here. I personally don't think meat should be considered clean unless it's organic, grassfed and such. Even then it's a stretch, in my eyes anyway.

You will also hear arguments about dairy and rice being included. Mostly you will hear varied opinions based on a person's preference.

Eating more fresh vegetables and fruits is good for any diet and should be a part of everyone's lifestyle anyway.

My dr told me food from the ground is better than food from a box. lol.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Basically if it came from a can, a box, just-add-milk, just-add-water, just-add-margarine, products that you just cant believe its what-ever-it-is, partially hydrogenated, fully hydrogenated.. then its not clean.
  • superwoman25
    Options

Are you haveing me on?
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    It means different things to different people. I know for some, cutting back on sugar is key.

For me it means eating foods with minimal artificial ingredients. Sugar is fine in whatever quantities, but I prefer sweetening with evaporated cane syrup, honey or maple syrup. Artificial sweeteners are a complete no-go.
  • skonly
    Options
    Also.....if you don't know what all those 20 letter words are on a label it's best not to eat it.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options

Are you haveing me on?

Yes, they are :)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Three rules I found in a book recently that help define what is clean to me:

Your great grandmother would recognize it as food.
    It has fewer than five ingredients
    It is not labeled on its packaging as 'healthy' 'low salt' or 'low fat'
  • skonly
    Options
    Three rules I found in a book recently that help define what is clean to me:

It has fewer than five ingredients
    It is not labeled on its packaging as 'healthy' 'low salt' or 'low fat'

We should all live by that!!!!!
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    To me its anything with one ingredient and unprocessed. For instance, white sugar is processed, but honey isnt (well, I guess the bees process it).
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options

hehehehehehe
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options

My great grandmother would give me McDonalds. :huh:
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Basically it means eating whole unprocessed foods. Meat is included and people argue over it a lot on here. I personally don't think meat should be considered clean unless it's organic, grassfed and such. Even then it's a stretch, in my eyes anyway.

You will also hear arguments about dairy and rice being included. Mostly you will hear varied opinions based on a person's preference.

Eating more fresh vegetables and fruits is good for any diet and should be a part of everyone's lifestyle anyway.

My dr told me food from the ground is better than food from a box. lol.

I don't understand why you would think meat shouldn't be on the "clean" list. Yes, it should be grass finished, and organic, but meat is about as clean as you get. Clean means like said above, simple, none processed, in it's natural form or as close to it as possible. Meat fits nicely into those categories
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options

My great grandmother would give me McDonalds. :huh:

Yeah I don't feel this is true for me, my great gramda loved all the "new inventions" that America had once she came over from Italy, she just stuff me with pasta, bread, and italian sausage lol.

My definition of clean eating is as follows:
    As close to how it is found in nature (not processed, brined, water added, anything)
    No refined/added sugars
    If it is a combination of items, around 5 ingredients and I should be able to go to a grocery store and purchase every item on the list to make it.

Its really about finding what you feel is "healthy" and clean for you. I am comfortable with these parameters to keep my eating in check. I do include meats, and whenever possible I buy organic/grassfed meat.
    And because I simply can't do without it, I includecheese, but I try not to go overboard. As long as it is not velveeta or a Kraft Singles processed cheese I will eat it.
  • genevaturtle
    genevaturtle Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    As close to the ground or branch--the fewer hands that touch the better.
  • nxd10
    Options
    To me its anything with one ingredient and unprocessed. For instance, white sugar is processed, but honey isnt (well, I guess the bees process it).

Cheese? Yoghurt?

I agree with everything everyone said about unprocessed, etc. But I raise my own chickens, make cheese, and grind my own sausage from good, lean meat. So I guess I don't consider any on those things heavily processed.

And as soon as I spice something or cook a casserole it has more than one ingredient.
  • nxd10
    Options
    Here is age for you. My great grandmothers were born in the 1860s. :blushing:
  • thedancingleper
    thedancingleper Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Here is age for you. My great grandmothers were born in the 1860s. :blushing:

Mine was born in 1865 and I'm 29.
  • jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Also.....if you don't know what all those 20 letter words are on a label it's best not to eat it.
    ^^^^ absolutely this
  • henhao
    henhao Posts: 1
    Options
    To learn more, take a look at the principles and concepts covered in Tosca Reno's books and website. Her 'program' is fairly intense and certainly wouldn't fit my lifestyle however I like her approach to clean eating. I also like her recipes, especially if you're in north America with ready access to turkey.