elliptical training

Hi,

I heard if you use the elliptical too much it can enp up hurting your knees.

1. fact or myth?
2.If fact, how much it's too much?

Replies

• Redtango76
    Redtango76 Posts: 144
    I do not know the scientific answer to this question but what I do know is when I was having knee issues from running I started using the elliptical because it reduced joint pain . My sister who has rheumatoid arthritis loves the elliptical for her arthritic knees! Running and other contact sports are difficult for her.
  • horsehockey
    horsehockey Posts: 24 Member
    It's certainly lower impact. I can certainly say that for myself, the motion of an eliptical is murder on my knees and hips, I get a better and less painful workout simply jogging (or cycling), but everyone is different
  • Maria_T007
    Maria_T007 Posts: 107
    I loved the elliptical and I never had knee problems, but that's just my personal experience. I also have never heard anyone say their knees hurt from it and I had a friend who got an elliptical for the lower impact.
  • Happybunny37
    Happybunny37 Posts: 145 Member
    I have some pretty serious knee issues and I use it pretty much daily or least 5x a week and it's fairly easy on my knee. I do have alot of icy hot to help on the bad days.:devil: I do like using the elliptical and the bike...:smile:
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    It's way better for your knees than running. Cycling is easy on the knees too. My dad rides his bike like 12 miles a day, and in fact, he says his knees hurt if he DOESN'T do it! Haha.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    I have Grade 3 Osteoarthritis in both knee's (42 years old with the knee's of an 80 year old), Torn meniscus both knee's, a torn ACL in my Right knee that do to the arthritis they will not repair.. I get knee injections in both knee's, have knee clean outs (knee scopes to remove loose debris), wear DonJoy custom knee braces, and am on 2 pain killers... I use the Elliptical as my main source of cardio exercise because I can not take the pounding of the treadmill..... So in my own personal opinion I call big time Myth because it is the easiest piece of gym equipment for me.... Best of Luck...
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Total crap. The elliptical is one of the lowest impact exercises you can do.