First 5k running times?

Options

Replies

• trizzell79
    trizzell79 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    My first 5k was last year, I think I finished at 36 min. I walked quite a bit of it. Right now I'm doing c25k, I'm on week 5! I can't wait to see what time I get when I'm done!
  • Stripycat
    Stripycat Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I ran my fist ever 5k in 2006 at 30years old and 12and a half stone (175lbs) in 35mins. It was a pretty mad mixture of grass, trail and tarmac, a Race for Life around Broughton Hall in Skipton.

I started running again last February at 15stone+ (I stopped counting, but somewhere above 210lbs) and when I got up to a 5k route around my nearby streets (a couple of mean hills), I was doing it in 37mins to begin with.

On Wednesday I got it down to 30.30, and I'm 11stone 10 (164lbs). Can't wait to get it under 30mins. I did the Race or Life around Temple Newsam in Leeds in July this year, hilly, muddy, grassy and hot, and came in at 29.36, so I know I can do it!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    My first was close to 40 min, a year later the same race was 26:46 (my best "official" time for a 5K)
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I just started running this year. My first 5k time was 39.17...faster than my workout speeds...walked portions...was in C25k W7 at the time...Plan to run the entire course next race in a few weeks...
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    My first 5k was 26:46 and that was after 3 months of running and a couple hills.

The distance is hard...most people don't push themselves nearly as hard as they could. If you're not on the edge of puking or passing out at the finish line, you could have gone faster. :drinker:
  • PalmSpringsCal
    Options
    Ive never run a 5 k. I used to do 10 K in 36 to 37 min depending on if flat or gentle hills,too hot or whatever,but then i was 37yo and 180 lb .... I always HATED the last 2 miles. I think that was telling me something.
    Once i get down to 180 or so Id like to try the 5K. I
    Ive got a ways to go as Im 205 lbs and 25 years out of shape/conditioning.Oh and then Im 63. Ill carry an AED(cpr device) with me incase I need someone to zap me.
    Ya know thats a great requirement to enter races. That they know cpr minimum.
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    My first 5k was 26:46 and that was after 3 months of running and a couple hills.

The distance is hard...most people don't push themselves nearly as hard as they could. If you're not on the edge of puking or passing out at the finish line, you could have gone faster. :drinker:

I definitely pushed myself to my limit, my first mile was my fastest ever (7 minutes). Then I had to lower the pace because I was getting tired, by the end I really felt like I was gonna be sick. After some water I felt a lot better though. I'm gonna keep pushing and getting better!
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I have only done one straight running race but I was pleased to meet my goal of a sub 30 minute 5 K at 27:50.
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    well done! .. that's an impressive time for a first run. My first ever was 31:54 .. and I ran one today in 22:10, very gratifying.
  • FatUncleRob
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm happy to say I just completed my first 5k this morning, it is called the Gopher to Badger 5k. I did it in 32:00 minutes. I feel pretty awesome about that time because it was my first 5k, and although I have been exercising for about 9 months I only just got into running for distance in June. I'm already looking forward to my next 5k, and I may do 2 more before the end of the year.

So, my first 5k time was 32:00 minutes. What was yours?

Congratulations! Great time. :drinker:

I'm sure you'll find that your time improves as you get more mileage under your belt, which is part of the fun of racing. :smile:

I started just over a year ago. My first 5K time was 31:30.
  • heartsoulshannon
    heartsoulshannon Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your first 5K! They're so addictive :)

My first official time was 27:57 and I was SO proud because on the treadmill I had been hitting about 31-32 minutes. Having other people motivated me a LOT! haha. My record now is 24:33! It's so fun watching yourself get faster and stronger!
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    My first was done in 41:36... but I walked a LOT cuz I had no running background at all and had only been working out steadily for about 4 months. Since then, I've done 4 more 5K's and my best time is 32:50. I have 2 more planned for this year (around my other craziness... like Warrior Dash, Gladiator Rock N' Run, etc). My goal is to eventually get under 30mins... we'll see. :smile:

Congrats on a great first 5K run!!!
  • rowbseat13
    rowbseat13 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    My first (April 2011) was 30:02... The last one I did (my 7th 5K in May 2012) was 25:15.
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    My first 5K was done in June of this year. I was around 100lbs over weight when I did it. I walked/jogged it instead of running.

Walked/jogged = Wogging :)

I say Im more a wogger but I think I might be a jogger now. My first 5K was July 4th and I did it in 41:26. It was over 90 deg and humidity about 10000%. I was about 244 lbs and have only been wogging for about 3 months at that point. My 2nd 5K was Aug 4th, 12 lbs lighter and ran it in 36:58. Im 34 and have 0 running background. I only race the clock since Im not a gifted 16 min 5K freak. lol I havent been doing this long enough to worry about what others are doing.

http://freew67.blogspot.com/
  • nhguy78
    nhguy78 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My first race was a 5miler (8K) so I don't know how much time it took for me to do 5K but that race was 46 minutes.
  • Softrbreeze
    Softrbreeze Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I think mine was 57 min. I was only 2 wks into my c25K and was still having terrible pains in my legs even with walking, so even the walkers were passing me! 32 min is awesome!
  • melvac
    melvac Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    with my 1st 5k, I walked the entire route I believe it was 45 minutes give or take a few. I want to run but I am scared to, I have had prior knee surgery.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    My first was close to 40 min, a year later the same race was 26:46 (my best "official" time for a 5K)

I so hope to follow in your footsteps!!!
  • omma_to_3
    Options

I disagree here. If I'm on the verge of puking and passing out, I am NOT enjoying it. If I don't enjoy it, I won't continue doing it. I do get what you mean though, I probably could push a bit more than I do without getting to the point of too hard. But, I go by my heart rate. Once it's over 190 bpm, I need to let up a bit. It's gone over 200 during a couple races (mostly days that were really hot or humid) and that is a mandatory signal to start walking for me.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    with my 1st 5k, I walked the entire route I believe it was 45 minutes give or take a few. I want to run but I am scared to, I have had prior knee surgery.

If your Dr says you're cleared to run, you should try it. I haven't had knee surgery but have had knee issues in the past. The running has almost never bothered my knees. I am having some hip issues now, but my knees are fine. Go slow, and never run on concrete. I run on asphalt mostly, but if you can run on grass or dirt, that will be even easier on your knees.