Protein Shakes For Breakfast HELP!

Options
Someone told me that having cereal for breakfast or having 2 waffles for breakfast was not a healthy breakfast because I need protein. The person who told me claims to be a very big nutrition freak, but I want to know, should I change my breakfast and buy some protein shake and add some fruits to it? I'm considering trying it, but I want to hear others opinions.

Replies

• ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    I wouldn't go as far as to say those things are unhealthy. Personally I am in a place where logic determines that carbs should just be avoided when possible. A waffle for example basically has no real value. The cereal might, depending on the ingredients, but it's probably full of sugar too.

I make a shake every morning where the protein is either Optimum Nutrition Natural Casein, or a combination of that and Trader Joe's Non-fat Greek Yogurt. I always throw in spinach because you can never have too much of that, along with usually a whole banana and 1/4 cup blueberries. I mix up the fruit sometimes.

On certain days I'll also throw in chia seeds because they're bursting with good stuff like Omega 3. IF I'm pretty sure I would be running into many grains/carbs later in the day, I'll also throw in Trader Joe's natural 100% rolled oats, but that's a rarity.

There's a widely-believed myth about "jumpstarting" your metabolism, specifically with protein, but my research says that's pretty much BS. Basically in response to your question, what I'd say is that you're going to get too many carbs even when you're trying not to, so this is a great time to find alternative non-carb heavy breakfast, and a protein shake is a great example.
  • Ash_ah_lee
    Ash_ah_lee Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    special k protein shakes... i love them.
  • HoneySunlight
    Options
    Protein shakes are a good breakfast on the go. But there are things that can help cereal and waffles. If you read the labels a lot of cereals and pancake mixes have protein. But if you want to have a good shake designer whey chocolate protein shake are pretty good and are only 100 cals in water. But it does taste better in milk. Hope that helps! :D
  • LoveMyJeepGC
    LoveMyJeepGC Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I do not generally like eating breakfast, so for me a protein shake is perfect. I like the premier nutrition protein shakes from Costco. They come in chocolate and vanilla. They have 30 grams of protein, a great start to the day.
  • kriscrat
    kriscrat Posts: 15
    Options
    I've recently been replacing toast and avocado with a shake made of whey protein, milk, avocado, and whatever fruit I have handy. It's tasty, surprisingly filling, and I can drink it while on the treadmill for a few minutes. Makes for a good morning!
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you do for waffles and what you put on them. 2 whole wheat homemade waffles with some nut butter would be very filling, satisfying, and have a decent amount of protein! 2 store-bought, pre-made, white waffles with syrup would be carb/sugar heavy. And cereal like some by Kashi can pack a good protein and fiber punch that will satisfy you and fuel the engine.

You could find other breakfast options with good amounts of protein, such as eggs or egg-white omelet. I don't think a protein shake is a necessity. Think outside the box, too...you don't necessarily have to eat 'breakfast' foods for breakfast. For example, try a turkey sandwich on whole wheat with spinach or something like that!

I get the majority of my protein in the morning with a homemade greek yogurt smoothie, adding fruit and sometimes nuts or seeds, but that is my preference. You have lots of options, s amoothie or shake is just one of them!
  • triplestepping
    triplestepping Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    For breakfast, unless you're eating your cereal dry or with rice milk or something, you're getting some protein in the milk or soy or almond milk that you eat it with. You could also have a serving of yogurt, or make a boiled egg.

If you're vegan and yogurt/eggs aren't your thing, then have a glass of soy milk, or protein could be added to a smoothie via a powder.

Having protein with every single meal isn't super important though, as long as you're getting enough for the day, and MFP will help you track that. If you're getting TOO MUCH protein, it could actually cause you to gain weight. The best time to have protein is after a workout.

I'm not a dietician but I would recommend talking to one if you have concerns.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I love the Frutein line. They make really nice protein powders that are fruit or veggie based. My favorites are the blue and the red fruits. If you have one of those shake mixers with the stick that goes down into the cup (kinda like you see in many Dairy Queens), you can put the powder and liquid in there and let it run for a few minutes and end up with a real creamy protein shake which is amazing.
  • Gretch33
    Gretch33 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm usually gagging my shakes down in the Morning. I'm wondering if I add spinich to it if it will taste better or if it will be the end of it!
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    If you're having problems with satiety or staying within your macros, you may consider changing things up. Protein shakes are not necessary if you can get sufficient protein from regular food sources.
  • akrastel
    akrastel Posts: 12
    Options
    I love my Shakeology for breakfast. Sometimes I just mix it with water if on the go, or my coffee. Sometimes I make a shake with the blender. I love them, and they work great for me.:smile:
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I look for cereal that is low in sugar and has high protein and fiber. That with 1/2 cup of milk is not a breakfast that I would call unhealthy, but of course has a lot of carbs which is why I'm thinking of switching up my breakfast a bit. If you are looking for protein in the morning, what about eggs? Yogurt is also good. Not saying you shouldn't try protein powders, I just don't know anything about them. I think it's a good idea to have some protein at all meals, but as long as you take care of your protein needs throughout the day you should be good.
  • ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    dashingdish.com has some great protein shake recipes!
  • ccmandel
    ccmandel Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Yummy yogurt smoothie
    1 cup Greek non fat yogurt (add a touch of splenda)
    1 cup mixed frozen fruit
    1/4 cup pineapple juice
    Add protein powder if you wish

Yummm!
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Try it and see how you feel. Some people do better with no breakfast, but I need it. And making it a protein-rich meal makes me feel so much better th rest of the day! Because I'm short on time & motivation in the mornings, and because my stomach doesn't lke much food that early, I go with a protein smoothie.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I'm usually gagging my shakes down in the Morning. I'm wondering if I add spinich to it if it will taste better or if it will be the end of it!
    What do you use? Some powders have a nasty taste; it might be time to try a new one. I usually stay away from the chocolate flavored ones and go with plain or vanilla, the use whatever spices I like -- chai blend, pumpkin pie, plain cinnamon & nutmeg, whatever.
  • cindybickler
    cindybickler Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i do my workouts first thing when i wake up so after my shower i make a protein shake because i need to get my post workout protein. two of my favorites are chocolate protein powder, frozen strawberries, greek yogurt, ground flax seed (for the omega's) almond milk and water. yum : ) or i exchange a frozen banana for the strawberries and some PB2 (peanut butter) and make it a chocolate peanut butter banana shake. it also diminishes my cravings for ice cream and sweets, because it is like having some!

i will have waffles for lunch or dinner and if they are whole grain and you add good things on top they are good for you. cook some blueberries with a little bit of stevia for a warm blueberry syrup! my whole family loves that one, and it works with any berry or fruit!