Slim fast shake?

Options
Would you recomend me the slim fast to replace my night meal? Or is better if i eat?

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I'm not an advocate of meal replacement. I like eating too much. If you're going to do meal replacemnt I would recommend making shakes. Its less expensive and you always know every ingredient. Slim fast has a lot of sugar and unpronouncable additives. For 200 calories you could eat a grilled chicken breast, a side of green vegetables and a small salad. Which would keep you more satisfied?
  • hs1956
    hs1956 Posts: 16
    Options
    I used the slim fast product eight years ago and it did work. However, as another poster indicated, they are full of artificial things. I am not using them this time and loosing at a reasonable rate.
  • KenzNDieselsMama
    Options
    If you plan to replace your meal at night with a drink, I would avoid slim fast. It's really nothing substantially good for you. You can go out and buy fruits, veggies, and protein powder, and make yourself a meal replacement that is WAY better. Grab some whey protein, flax seed, chia seed, spinach, and whatever fruits you like, and you'll be good to go. Throw it in a blender with some fat free greek yogurt and a banana for sweetening, and you'll feel satisfied and great! Oh, and don't forget to add ice. I usually use almond vanilla milk, coconut milk, or fat free milk to help blend it up. Totally the way to go.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I love the Fruitein powders that you can find at the Vitaminshoppe (if you order online you save money and shipping). They are fruit or veggie based as opposed to all those chemicals. You can add soy milk, almond milk, whatever you want to it. I put it in my mixer to fluff it up and end up with a poofy tasty fruit drink.
  • ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    One of my favorite iPhone apps is Fooducate, which tells you about all the bad (or good) stuff in a particular food item.

Slim Fast Shake:

4.5 tsp of sugar per serving
    Controversial artificial sweeteners
    Controversial artificial colors
    Phosphoric acid (lowers bone density)
    Heavily processed
    Fully hydrogenated oils (basically trans fat)
    Glycerides (linked to trans fat and also bad for the environment)
    Artificial flavors

If you're going to get into meal replacement, as others have said, make your own healthy, natural, highly-nutritious shake.
  • AlegriaFitness
    AlegriaFitness Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hell. No.

ShaneOSX beat me to it. That stuff is crap.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Which would keep you more satisfied?
    Which would be nutritionally complete ? I think people miss the point of meal replacement diets - they provide all the nutrients, have you checked your food does that ?
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Which would be nutritionally complete ? I think people miss the point of meal replacement diets - they provide all the nutrients, have you checked your food does that ?

I think this all depends on your overall diet. Like I stated, I'm not a fan of meal replacement but I'm not against it if it is what works for someone else. Chicken, vegetables and salad sound pretty well rounded for a single meal, but it is about what you take in over the day that counts. I also said there are much better options then slimfast for meal replacement.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    no... and eat. if you must do a meal replacement.... *not* Slim Fast. the ingredients list is filled with names i can barely pronounce... who wants to be ingesting a bunch of chemicals? Almased and Spirutein are the only meal replacement drinks/shakes I will have.
  • Black_rose1809
    Black_rose1809 Posts: 40 Member
    Options

I started to drink it and it's good. What this poster said is true, the chemical names in the bottles are the chemical names for the vitamins. " cholecalciferol ( Vitamin D3); phylloquinone (Vitamine K1)" Research people!

Just because it has a long word that you can't pronounce doesn't mean it's the same nutrient you get on foods you normally eat. It's okay to use Slim fast, but remember to eat anyways. I plan to use it for breakfast only and maybe lunch, but I'm going to eat as I usually do.