Any1 also used to be a heavy smoker and drinker?

Options
Because being overweight gives a handicap when you do insanity/tapout xt but if your overweight and have been a heavy smoker of tabacco and weed, a heavy drinker(whiskey) and junkfood junk it makes it ever worse.

Now i have read alot of stories of people who were also overweight and found it hard to start out with insanity(or simulair programs) but i haven't read anyone talking about a similair lifestyle i had.

Being overweight and doing insanity is hard but having the lungs of a smoker and being overweight makes it even worse, even on the fitness test of insanity i thought my heart would burst out of my chest followed by my lungs. I sweat like a pig and have to take many break atm simply cause i don't have any air left and my heartrate goes sky high.

I quitted everything unhealthy by the way the day i started doing workouts and eating clean and am now on my 6th day without cheating but its hard!!!

Anyone else started with such unhealthy past? I would sure love to hear how it was for you.

Best regards
Kai

Replies

• RotterdamNL
    RotterdamNL Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Wow, no1? So you all started just with to much weight?

Lucky you! :laugh:
  • katelouiseoz
    Options
    Hiya, i gave up smoking almost two months ago and used this site as a distraction. I started the couch to 5k program and just started 30 day shred. Giving up smoking is the hardest thing I have done by far but not any harder than trying to run for more than 30 seconds! My fitness has improved but as you will see from my diary I love a drink, vodka, cider, wine... this is now my down fall and I drink more than before!

It will all come good in the end... well done on not smoking and starting insanity is a massive step. Nice work!
  • tourettte
    tourettte Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    still am. but i've cut back on beer and liquor (occasional drinks with friends and mandatory beer with my dad when i visit) but smoking is something I've been trying to cut back with little success.

My aunt stopped one day for no reason. She says she just had a click and that was it. (We're a click family, we get the click and that's it no more smoking/drinking/eating too much/shopping)

p.s. this is the first time I've done any serious exercise in 10 years so you're not alone in this :)
  • bvuong
    bvuong Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm still trying to quit smoking I smoke around half a pack a day

drinking... i just cut back light beer once in a while
  • ThatGrl32
    Options
    I still smoke (and drink) The drinking I try to only partake in once or twice a week and I try to keep it to just 1-3 drinks. The smoking, well, I know I need to quit but I guess I just haven't come to that point that I can yet. I have 'clicks' too and that's how it was for changing my diet. It just clicked. That is also how I overcame bi-polar disorder. I'm not saying everyday is a cakewalk, but I've been medication free for over 7 years. I think with exercising and being a current or recently quit smoker, you have to take it slow. I can't run, but I can walk. I think if you try to jump into it too fast, you might get disappointed because your body can't handle those stresses. Yet. Time and Proper nutrition will help your body heal.

Good luck :)
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I am a recovering alcholic (5 years sober) and lived that lifestyle for more than 25+ years, and here is my story.
    I stopped smoking cold turkey about 2 months prior to coming to MFP. I had been using food as my substitute and one day I was getting ready to go for a ride (motorcycle) and it took all I had to put my boots on. I was huffing and puffing and wondering if I was going to make it to the motorcycle. But instead, I decided that morning that something had to change. I was 60 - 70 pounds overweight, I had abused my body to this point and I got on the computer, googled weight loss and this site came up. I signed up that day and starting living this lifestyle.
    I started off by going by BMI. Don't know why, that is just where I started. After I got below being obese, and was just overweight, I got introduced to some folks on here that would talk about Body Fat Percentage (BF%), so I started by googling how and why to do that. The best thing that happened, I read a couple of posts by HelloitsDan, and he turned me onto a whole new way of looking at this. Now I use BF% for everything, I haven't been on a scale in about a month. I know by how I feel and the way my clothes fit that I am losing fat and gaining muscle. I copied the things that I learned from helloitsDan and put them in a folder for other to use, that link is here: https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B3kFzsaVmRjmd1k4YjA1SlVWaFU/edit.
    By coming to this site I have learned how to eat, not diet. I have learned how to workout, take care of my body, and use it for good. I take Karate now and am learning a whole new art that I only ever dreamed about...
    The other important thing that I DID NOT DO: Take pictures (as awful as it sounds right now) and every 30 days take more pics.... believe me it is your driving force. My wife has pics of me the whole way through this journey and it is amazing to see yourself, let alone all the amazing folks on here that have started where you are starting and have overccome that kind of lifestyle...
    Good luck my friend, and if you would like please friend me... I would love to be part of your support group!
  • RotterdamNL
    Options
    Thank you all for the great replies.

This is my 7th day of not smoking,drinking alcohol and eating clean, as long as i keep myself busy i am ok but i have to admit, today was a rest day and i had some serious urges on everything.

I've stopped smoking before for a long time, and also tried to workout in a gym many times but always failed in the end but this time i got a good feeling about it and that is probably because of how i did past week.

But no doubt, stopping with smoking and drinking is a extra handicap when starting to workout.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I used to be quite the partier. I don't miss spending every Sunday morning with my head in the toilet
  • DangerDiv
    Options
    def smoke and drank wayyyyyyy too much in law school. in fact, I just quit both smoking and drinking yesterday. i feel amazing already. hopefully the withdrawals from each don't start any time soon. but yeah, I'm re-vamping my whole life and that **** had to go.

i also have a history of drug addiction. knowing i can kick narcotics, i know i can kick this, too. crazy to think how different I am at 29 versus when i was 17/18.
  • joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    i am a recovering addict (alcohol and drugs) and i was overweight for several years. i still smoke cigarettes but am trying to quit those as well. though i dont have any experience with insanity or tapout, i did try p90x when i first got clean. it was rough, i was no where near ready for it. i put the tapes down and concentrated on cardio (jogging) as well as pushups and crunches. i tried it again about a month later and 90 days after that i had completed the program and lost 70 lbs. keep your head up and hang in there man. you can do this.
  • RotterdamNL
    Options
    Any of you miss those bad habits? Cause i know i do... ugh