forced discipline and I'm having a hard time

Options
Hey guys, I had my wisdom teeth pulled this week and I'm really struggling with the fact that I can't eat what I want when I want. It's really upsetting that I can't reward or soothe myself with food (even healthy food) and when I do eat I can't get the satisfaction of eating. What is more upsetting is that I still use food in this manner-not for nourishment but for fulfillment, and I'm having what amounts to a panic attack over it. My husband doesn't get it and it's really messing with me mentally. Guess I'm just looking for some encouragement that it's not the end of the world that I don't get to EAT and if there are any ideas for filling my soul instead. Just being a whiney baby-there are worse problems in the world.

Replies

• chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I would recommend picking up a good book to read and try forgetting about the obsession with food for a bit. Getting wisdom teeth pulled isn't the end of the world; sounds like you're stressing over something that will be over with in a week, give or take. When I had mine out, my husband brought me a single serving of soft serve ice cream in a bowl. Hope you feel better soon,
  • jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Ok try some exercise to distract yourself even going for a walk. Also I find berry smoothies very satisfying as they have a strong sweet taste. My current favorite comfort food is strawberries, its so hard to get out of mentally needing "comfort food" even if you make healthy decisions and knowing you can't eat is torture. Hope you feel better soon xx
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I had my wisdom teeth pulled this week and I'm really struggling with the fact that I can't eat what I want when I want. It's really upsetting that I can't reward or soothe myself with food (even healthy food) and when I do eat I can't get the satisfaction of eating. What is more upsetting is that I still use food in this manner-not for nourishment but for fulfillment, and I'm having what amounts to a panic attack over it. My husband doesn't get it and it's really messing with me mentally. Guess I'm just looking for some encouragement that it's not the end of the world that I don't get to EAT and if there are any ideas for filling my soul instead. Just being a whiney baby-there are worse problems in the world.

Have you tried baby food? Most jarred fruity desserts for babies and toddlers are surprisingly good, certainly not a diet breaker, no need to chew at all. Even baby biscuits in milk made me happy when I got four stitches in my mouth and wasn't able to open it even for an inch. If you don't mind the carbs and some added sugars, it may be a good alternative.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Well, not being able to eat for comfort isn't the end of the world and it's just feels like it for those of us who use food this way.

I'd say take advantage of the opportunity you find yourself with to work on the issue. Instead of obsessing on what you can't have, focus on taking control of how you're feeling. When you start to focus on what you can't have, tell yourself 'No', out loud if necessary, and that you are in control of your choices. The situation you're in isn't denying yourself, it's taking care of yourself, you had a medical procedure, now you're taking care of yourself afterwards. Praise yourself for that.

Then go do something else, anything that will hold your attention, if you have a hobby work on that, read, go for a walk, anything to snap you out of your thought processes.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Its definitely better to listen to the Oral Surgeon and do what you are told post-operatively rather than risk a massive infection, food impaction or risk of puncturing your sinus cavities when things get 'in' where it doesnt belong....

I had all four removed, my jawline 'shaved' and my sinus cavities outer surface treated, all at once back in 2007... I made sure all of the right foods were available and at the ready. Lots of water, fresh chicken stock/beef stock, pureed chicken (made some with mayonnaise), pureed beef, yogurt to take my antibiotics with, and came through within 10 days.

Even then I still had to be very careful with food choices where it was alot more involved than just wisdom extractions...

Yeah... do what the surgeon says... its the responsible thing to do! 8-)
  • mona_patty
    mona_patty Posts: 170
    Options
    One quote I saw somewhere in this site, that hit a nerve was "Don't reward yourself with food, you are not a dog". Don't use food to fulfill a void. it's never a good thing. Right now it's a good time to find yourself. Don't get upset over not being able to "reward or soothe" yourself with food.

I am a foodie. I love food. I am not picky and I love everything lol. But I came to terms with it.

I had 1 wisdom tooth extracted. I was frustrated only cause i was hungry and I couldn't eat at all. I ate mostly soups, pudding. etc. Just bear a few days and you will be ok
  • oldsalty1
    Options
    The goal for me is to find and substitute healthy food choices for unhealthy choices that got me where I am....

My favorite smoothie is a whole peach, 5 or 6 strawberries, a scoop of protein, 1-2 cups of kale and lots of ice and water.
    Cals are approx 360 depending on other goodies added.

My favorite low cal desert...1/2 c plain Greek yogurt, 1-2 tablespoons of jello instant pudding mix...and Coolwhip free...
    I can make up any combination...add PB2, fruit or what ever I want and still be under 300 cals. Amazing for me...and satisfying because of the protein in the yogurt and the sweet lightness from the coolwhip free...(Not the healthiest choice but oooohhhhsooogoodness).

Don't sweat and focus on this too long...your spending way to much energy and emotion on it...You feel what you feel...that may never change...all you can really really change is what goes in your mouth...and how much of it is good for you...
  • jrmc83
    jrmc83 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great ideas! I'm mostly feeling like a failure because it is so important to me...it's like-shouldn't you be over this already! Just sitting with my aching jaw feeling sorry for myself :laugh:
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great ideas! I'm mostly feeling like a failure because it is so important to me...it's like-shouldn't you be over this already! Just sitting with my aching jaw feeling sorry for myself :laugh:

Don't be too harsh on yourself either ;) It's not a typical 'oh, I had a bad day I need comfort food'. Operation: wisdom tooth was the physically suckiest time of my life.