Pizza alternative?

Options
Erin1836
Erin1836 Posts: 14 Member
I want pizza pretty badly right now. I haven't had it in a month (though I've eaten plenty of other unhealthy things this month). I had a whole wheat English muffin for breakfast, and then did weight lifting for an hour and a half, and had a couple of slices of cantaloupe. I'm planning on having baby spinach with carrots, and chicken and onions for lunch.

Did I mention I really want some pizza right now?

Can anyone recommend a healthier (healthy-ish) alternative for pizza that might more or less satisfy the craving?

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Joseph's makes a low carb pita pocket.

I will make pizzas with that....

I enjoy making a homemade "Pizza" soup...
  • aften_g
    aften_g Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I made zucchini pizzas earlier in the week and they were a big hit! I halved a zucchini with skin and everything and laid it skin down on a sprayed cookie sheet. I put pizza sauce, turkey pepperoni, and low fat cheese on top and baked it 350 for close to 30 minutes. I kinda had to scoop some of the cheese back on that tried to slide off but other than that they were perfect, and delicious! My 6 year old even liked them!

Good luck, I know how those pizza cravings are :)

The calories came out to 192 for 2 halves the way I make them by the way.
  • sandimack
    sandimack Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I take a whole wheat wrap and use it for the crust. It's low in calories and gets nice and crispy, yes it's thin but I love it. Make sure your sauce is low in sugar, cheese is low fat, than add veggies. Yummmmmm yesterday there was a recipe for pizza crust made from cauliflower, you could do a search for that. :glasses:
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Here's the link for the cauliflower pizza crust - we're making it tonight, cant wait to see how it comes out!!!

http://mompetent.wordpress.com/2012/07/19/17-day-diet-cycle-1-friendly-pizza/

We've also made the zucchini pizza boats, yum yum!!
  • Havend1
    Havend1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I made pizza the other day cos I too was craving.

Ingredients:
    1 tortilla( whole wheat. Size was larger than the taco size tortilla but smaller than burrito size)
    1 tbsp low fat plain Greek yogurt
    1tbsp low sodium low cal spaghetti sauce
    Grated zucchini ( use as much as u want)
    Chopped spinach
    1/4 c feta cheese
    1 tsp dried basil

It was really good. U should try it. Add ur own ingredients if you'd like.
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Do you gots Pizza Express?

They are fairly low cal. :)
  • run4life17
    run4life17 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Erin!

Sounds like you're doing some awesome weight training!! That's my goal to step it up with the weights. I think there are awesome alternatives to pizza. Since you said you already enjoy english muffins, try taking a fiber-rich english muffin, smearing it with sauce, a little cheese, and lots of mushrooms/veg. of your choice and put it in the oven for 10 min at 425. It's DELICIOUS and makes a great meal anytime.

I wish you all the best on your journey. With your dedication of 1.5 hours of weight-lifting, you're sure to reach your goal!!! The key is fresh fruits, fresh veggies, and lean protein. FIBER FIBER FIBER!!! Best of luck to you :)

Julie
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I absolutely do not believe in depriving myself of anything I want. If it fits into your daily goal, then why not have it? Google for healthier recipes if you want, but I eat pizza when I want it.
  • sunrize_sc
    sunrize_sc Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Meatza!! It's delish!!
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    someone i know got a large chicken breast, tenderised it til it was really thin and flat, added the 'pizza' toppings and baked in the oven for 25 mins
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    This recipe is so good and it tastes like pizza to me...

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/07/sausage-stuffed-zucchini-boats.html
  • cpaman87
    cpaman87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I take a whole wheat wrap and use it for the crust. It's low in calories and gets nice and crispy, yes it's thin but I love it. Make sure your sauce is low in sugar, cheese is low fat, than add veggies. Yummmmmm

These are great. Have made them before.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    We made the cauliflower crust pizza a week or so ago. we didn't cook the crust long enough so it kind of fell apart but coming from someone who HATE cauliflower it was amazing! we are definitely going to make it again soon!
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Great pizza ideas here!
  • AmandaInGA
    AmandaInGA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I want pizza pretty badly right now. I haven't had it in a month (though I've eaten plenty of other unhealthy things this month). I had a whole wheat English muffin for breakfast, and then did weight lifting for an hour and a half, and had a couple of slices of cantaloupe. I'm planning on having baby spinach with carrots, and chicken and onions for lunch.

Did I mention I really want some pizza right now?

Can anyone recommend a healthier (healthy-ish) alternative for pizza that might more or less satisfy the craving?

have you tried making an english muffin pizza? with a tablespoon of tomato sauce and an ounce of shredded cheese. add veggies if you like.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Eat some pizza. If you are following ur diet spot on and doing what you need to do... eat a piece of pizza if you want one. Just keep it in your calories... if you are worried about it, or don't if you aren't. I eat pizza almost every week. You can keep it healthy by eating whole ingredients..

Do you have a whole foods or Earth fare? They make pizza. Buy a piece there. No additives, organic ingredients.. fresh cheeses, and veggies. :)
  • mhuch110
    mhuch110 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I absolutely do not believe in depriving myself of anything I want. If it fits into your daily goal, then why not have it? Google for healthier recipes if you want, but I eat pizza when I want it.

^^this. If you are craving pizza, and have the room for it, then eat a slice of pizza. You can't possibly give up pizza for the rest of your life, can you? :) I know I can't! Just be smart about it...don't get it loaded with a ton of meat, blot off the excess grease with a napkin...top it wth veggies if you like...then ENJOY EVERY BITE!
  • mkstirp
    mkstirp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    There are a few brands of store bought pizza crust that are pretty reasonable, like boboli. The whole wheat are the lowest calories usually. If you add low fat cheese, veggie toppings, or turkey pepperoni it's as close to pizza as you can get without the guilt.
  • sch7355
    sch7355 Posts: 55
    Options
    I just tried this a few days ago, and I LOVE it!! It's called Flatout Pizza, and it uses a low calorie flatbread wrap for the crust by the brand Flatout (you can use a different brand if they don't sell Flatout near you---my Walmart sells it where I live). It was REALLY good and filling! The bread has a lot of fiber and protein, which makes it a much healthier alternative. I then used Kraft Fat Free Mozzarella cheese and Hormel Turkey Pepperonis on mine :) Mmmm.... thinking about it makes me debate on having that for lunch today!! Lol. There are a lot of recipes on google for Flatout pizza---here's one of them: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=147890
  • TexasRattlesnake
    TexasRattlesnake Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I make mini-pizzas with the giant cap portabella mushrooms.

De-stem, scrape the underside, lightly oil and season... bake them, put on low carb pizza sauce, some cheese, whatever toppings... back in the oven for a bit.

Just googled for something similar, it's like this:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Personal-Portobello-Pizza/