Question for you deadlifters

Options
So, I'm finally strong enough to throw 45's on there (yay!) but for some reason I'm now having trouble transitioning into the second rep. My question is, do you reset your form/body position/breathing after each rep or do you just tap the floor and go again. I find that if I don't reset myself my hips shoot straight up rather than driving foward (if that makes any sense). I also have really long legs compared to my torso so deadlifting has always been a little awkward for me. I'm just wondering if there's a way to bang out several reps without having to set back up each time. Thanks for the tips!
PS-General deadlifting advice is also welcome!

Replies

• rementis
    rementis Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It's hard to give advise without being able to see. You should really try to find a knowledgeable lifter and have them observe and give advice while the bar is there in front of you.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Until you're sure your form is perfect, always reset. I agree with the other poster that you should have somebody knowledgeable observe you.
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I don't really reset myself. I basically get everything into position, feet, bar, butt, arms and grip and after the first pull just keeping the piston motion taping the floor. That's why my shines are all jacked up LOL.

Maybe use steps or plates to adjust the height so you can get your butt down.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Reset. In Starting Strength, Rippletoe says not to just bump the weights at the bottom. One of the key benefits to DLs is the effort of breaking the weight from the floor.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I reset since I deadlift more than my own body weight.

I suggest making a video of you deadlifting. I do that once in a while to correct my form.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Reset and mentally check your position each time other wise you may trash your back.. Lifting on the bounce is cheating! :smile:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Reset. In Starting Strength, Rippletoe says not to just bump the weights at the bottom. One of the key benefits to DLs is the effort of breaking the weight from the floor.

^^this. Make sure your form is good each time. If that means doing minor adjustments between lifts, do them.
  • epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options

This.

It's a DEADlift. The weight is supposed to come to a complete dead stop between each rep. You don't want to tap and go each rep. You're basically cheating then.
  • kiachu
    Options
    Some people do touch and go some do touch and pause (reset). Form may suffer and if your bouncing the weight it is said your adding momentum and not truly lifting from a dead position. It may come down to why your deadlifting. For strength and power or just for muscle hypertrophy.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Are you using hex plates?
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Reset!!! And whoever said that "lifting on the bounce" is cheating. Agreed! But I still do it on my last set here and there.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Reset it. Get your footing right, get your back straightened up, shoulders aligned. Don't take unecessary risks.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    you tube research on proper deadlift form!

:)
  • fhsjewfro
    fhsjewfro Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    if your form is what it should be already it is very possible you are just weak off the floor, as some people are strong off the floor and weak at the lockout point

if you are weak off the floor give deficit deads a try, google/youtube for more info
    if your lockout is the weak part of the lift then give rack pulls a try, google/youtube for more info

or post a video and im sure you will get several responses on how to improve your form
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    The results are in, and reset is the way to go. Couldn't agree more. And it's okay to take your time with the reset deads are like squats, where when you are going heavy it's okay to take 3-5 breaths between reps. Hands stay on the bar tho.
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Always reset. If you touch and go you are not doing a true deadlift, as the point is to pull the weight from a dead stop. Plus you won't be able to touch and go with a very heavy weight as your form will deteriorate with each rep. In order to ensure perfect form with each rep, reset. Also, get the Starting Strength and the DVD if you don't know anyone who can observe your form. I personally don't know a soul who knows these moves better than me at my gym, so I can't trust anyone to properly critique my form.
  • wolfpack77
    wolfpack77 Posts: 655
    Options
    Reset, especially if you are lifting at or above your own body weight.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    As everyone has already stated reset.
  • kiachu
    Options
    Also at bodybuilding.com in tje Female section there are a ton of female powerlifters and followers of Riptoe and those using Starter Strength. People post videos of themselves all the time for form check.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    It is a DEAD lift. That means deadweight. Reset.