good weight at 5'10"

Options

Replies

• fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and 148 @22% fat. My original goal was 140, I look good at that weight ( even though 8lbs is not a lot for 5'9), but...I would look even better at 135. They both are healthy weights. Even 148 for 5'9 is healthy, it depends on what you are looking for. A healthy range for 5'10 is wide, so it depends on what end of that range you wanna be
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me a good weight for me is around 155. I'm 5'10", does anyone else think that seems a bit low.

My husband is 6ft2 and 158. But that's just how he's built... Aim for what feels right for you!
  • feast4thebeast
    feast4thebeast Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    155lbs is too low for a guy at 5'10. I'm 6'0 and weight 185 appox just now. I was about 182 a few months back when I was at doctors and he suggested that I drop down so my BMI was lower. I think he said I would need to be at least 176 or something. I lifted my shirt and showed him my abs and said how do I need to lose weight? My bf at that point was something like 10% and in range for an elite athlete. He still couldnt grasp my argument about bf and was insistent on BMI - I told him that I disagree and would not be making changes based on his recommendation.
  • rachelblair09
    Options
    im 5 ft 9 and weigh 143 lbs, and my body fat is 23%. im in no way shape or form 'skinny' it depends on your body fat etc.
  • KAbena
    KAbena Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    One thing I've definitely learnt is that doctors and their advice can be bs.... if that number feels to low for how you are feeling/looking then adjust as you go along. Ultimately what you feel looks good and feels good is always going to be the perfect number for YOU :)
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I think this is highly individual. I'm continually surprised at the wide range of weights for people my height, and how they can all look great.

I'm female, so of course that makes a difference. I'm 5'10" and 143 at 25% body fat, and I have a small frame (my fingers overlap about an inch around my wrist). My goal is to increase muscle and decrease body fat, so if I gain weight but not inches, I'll be perfectly happy.

My husband also has a small frame. He's 6'1" or so and 175 roughly. He's definitely a healthy weight but he's working on building muscle and getting healthier also. Just like me, he could weigh more and carry it well if it were muscle. He could also weigh less and carry it well if he were to lose fat.
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 11" and at 155 i would look sickly. By New Years Eve i'm shooting for 185 as my goal weight.
  • Bunnehface
    Bunnehface Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10 and my goal weight is 174. This is *just* within the healthy weight range on the BMI. If I get to 180 and feel I look good, and I'm fit and healthy then I will stop there though. I have a big frame (wide shoulders and hips), so I don't want to look ridiculous just so that a Doctor can say I am a 'healthy' weight.
  • ksavy
    ksavy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much muscle you have it would seem about right. Given that I am a girl at 6'0" and weigh 161. I am trying to get down to 155. So you being a guy and a couple inches shorter, 155 would be a healthy weight for you. I would say 160-170 if you built up your muscle mass.
  • tdfarmer
    tdfarmer Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Check out www.fat2fitradio.com or phone app fat2fit. Good calculators. Let me just say everyone is different. I'm 38, 5'8" male. My first goal was bmi of 22, 145lb which sounded low. Reached that my goal now is 137 based on fat% of 14. Almost there and still feel I can loose maybe a little more.
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    i'm 5ft 10 and i weigh 179 right now and im a size 14. i'm aiming for 165 to get to a size 12 then i'll see how i feel. It depends how toned i look at size 12 because id be quite happy at that size as long as i didnt look all flabby
  • btkkterry
    btkkterry Posts: 183
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone, my original goal that I set was 170. I'm 2 lbs away from that and still have some to lose in my stomach so I think I will evaluate every 5 lbs and decide, its t
    ough because people tell me now after losing 13 lbs I look to thin and that's not what I want
  • ellie319
    ellie319 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Im 5'10 & i felt my best at 148lbs! Id love to be that weight again!
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I remember in college when I was in the high 170s people use to think I looked sick.. no lie. I am 5'9-5'10. I started to lose a lot of fat in my face and my cheeks were sunken. It just depends on the look you are "looking" for. I never wanted to be a size 4, so I prob won't try to lose a ton more weight once I hit my goal which I am 10-15 lbs away from.
  • Twomirrors
    Twomirrors Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    A guy at 155lbs at 5'10" sounds light to me. I'm a woman, 5'8" at 158 with about 18% body fat. My goal is 155lbs.

But it depends on your frame. Maybe see how you look at 165 and go from there?

Good luck, and work hard!
  • IrishDaveRed
    IrishDaveRed Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think you are right to simply keep evaluating. I first thought the target for me was too low (ie under 165, I am 5' 9") as the last time I was that weight was high school and I was then trying to gain weight for playing rugby.

However, now I am 179 and I see that I still have a lot of fat still to lose. Also, when I was last 165 my biceps were at least another inch bigger and since rugby is so much about leg strength my thighs must have been way bigger than they are now. So, now 165 doesn't seem so light for my frame any more.

If, like me, you have been overweight for decades your friends will be used to you looking the way you do and think you don't have so much to lose because you are big framed. Well maybe we just look like we are big framed because we have been overweight so long. I could now see myself well under 165 when originally that seemed skinny to me.

Just see how it goes, you will know when you feel right.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Actually, at 5'10", 155 is a BMI of 22. That's what I weighed for the 10 years after I got out of college. It was very curvy and not too thin.

When I was dancing a lot I was much thinner than that. But I get really *****y if I'm under 150. My current goal is 165 (I was 168 this morning). But as soon as I hit it I'm going to drop my goal to 155 and try to stay there for the rest of my life.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    It all depends. My fiance is 5'10"ish and weighs 155ish pounds and does not look sickly. He has a small frame and it suits him.
  • btkkterry
    Options
    It all depends. My fiance is 5'10"ish and weighs 155ish pounds and does not look sickly. He has a small frame and it suits him.
    sounds like we are very similar
  • btkkterry
    Options
    Depending on how much muscle you have it would seem about right. Given that I am a girl at 6'0" and weigh 161. I am trying to get down to 155. So you being a guy and a couple inches shorter, 155 would be a healthy weight for you. I would say 160-170 if you built up your muscle mass.
    Building muscle is definitely a goal for me