I hate nuts!

Options
Any kind.... almonds, peanuts, walnuts, hazelnuts, pistachios, macadamias-- you name it and I hate it. The texture is just so dry and unappealing and I always feel like gagging after I eat them. The only way peanuts taste good is in trail mix, but it has so many calories that I just can't keep eating trail mix for forever.

I also don't like seeds either. gag.

I'm trying really hard to eat them because I know how good they are for you. Any suggestions on how to make nuts/seeds more 'edible' to me? This might be weird, but does anyone put nuts or seeds in smoothies? I think I would enjoy that. I just don't really want to taste them raw and plain.

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Do you like any nut butters? They work well in smoothies.

Chopped nuts are also very good in salads.
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    You could put nut or seed butters into a smoothie, I bet that would be pretty good. I just bought almond butter instead of peanut butter for the first time and it's not bad! I have the opposite problem, I eat too many nuts and am often in the red for my fats.
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Well, nuts are good for you, but nobody says you HAVE to eat them. Do you like peanut butter? There are several brands that don't contain any sugar, I think Organics (sold at Safeway/Tom Thumb) Old Fashioned Creamy is the best. Just check the label to make sure there's no sugar in the ingredients.

Also, I add sunflower seeds to salads. They're not that noticeable in the middle of leaves, dressing, feta, etc.
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I can't believe this!
    Eat PB or Almond butter.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    I use flaxseed in my smoothies too, and for those that don't like nuts fine-chop them in your blender I've done them like that and added them to stuffing, mashed potatoes, mixed into yogurt etc.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    If you don't like them, don't eat them.... get good fats from avocado, from fish oil, from olives and olive oil..... why torture yourself?
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I am a fellow nut hater... I don't eat them, period! I do like peanut butter so I have that sometimes. You don't have to eat them at all. I have lost sixty pounds and not one nut has passed these lips, unless it was in the form of a butter.
  • theresnoeggs
    theresnoeggs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    dark chocolate covered almonds. **drools**

I've heard some pulverize nuts in a coffee grinder and add to anything their cooking....
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Wow, I have the opposite problem! I have a couple tbsp. of peanut butter or a handful of nuts almost every single day.

You could try to hide peanuts or peanut butter in homemade Asian-inspired dishes like Kung Pao or Pad Thai.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    If you don't like them, don't eat them.... get good fats from avocado, from fish oil, from olives and olive oil..... why torture yourself?

this.

Make your own rules for yourself. You'll stick with them that way.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I hate nuts also,and the nut butters yuck never ever eat them
  • BaronessBlixen
    BaronessBlixen Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    The texture is just so dry and unappealing and I always feel like gagging after I eat them.

Is it possible that you're developing an allergy to them? I'm allergic to nuts, and I used to have the same problem. I'd always gag - couldn't even stand the smell, particularly with cashews. A few years ago, I discovered that I was fully allergic when my throat closed up after eating some ice cream with nuts in it.
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    The title to this topic had me thinking I was on a different site?!?!?!? :sad:

I would recommend using a nut butter and also blending them into shakes and things...
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You certainly don't need to eat nuts if you don't like them.

One alternative to help get some of the same nutritional value might be flax meal. You can add it into almost anything. It's high in fiber, protein and especially Omega-3s. You can also try almond meal. I bought some recently to help cut out some carbs. You can use it like you would regular flour as breading on chicken or in any recipe, really. It's just almonds ground down to a fine powder before it gets turned into a butter.
  • LWhite54
    LWhite54 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Gee, I'm just glad to know that I'm not alone in hating all nuts (while loving peanut butter)! I've always avoided them, no matter how tiny they were chopped up.
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    They're good for you because they have good fat in them, eat avocado, olives, coconut oil, etc. instead, there's no reason to eat food you don't like if you can get the benefits from a food you do like.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    If you don't like them don't eat them. Any nutritional factors you might gain from eating nuts can easily be gained elsewhere.

Of course, if the flavor is okay, just not the texture, you can try making different nut butters. You can make them yourself and many stores carry a wide variety now.
  • Sarasari
    Sarasari Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You could make a lighter pesto. You lower the amount of oil and add water. Pesto is great on pasta,bread,whole wheat crackers,on tomatoes,grilled shrimp,chicken.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Guess you weren't a bird in your past life. Why do you have to eat them plenty of heart healthy oils out there and you'll enjoy your food more.
  • erikarois
    Options
    i hate them because they taste bitter and make me swell. medical issue. don't eat them. i am sure beans are better. only bean i can will eat is roasted chick peas. but those make me itch too.