How did you pick your career?

Options
peachyxoxoxo
peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
For me I think it's because both my parents worked in hospitals when I was growing up. For many, many years I wanted to be a doctor. I did well in science and that seemed to be the field most suited to my interests. Then I realized there were far more options in healthcare. Now I'm in school to be a dietitian. However, I'm still considering going to PA school in a few years. I can't make up my mind! I guess for the time being I'll just see how the dietitian thing goes.

How did you end up doing what you're doing?

Replies

• coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    I didn't pick it...it picked me!
  • davecannon
    davecannon Posts: 92
    Options
    My career picked me. I fell into a position working at a state hospital when I gout out of the army and fell in love. I worked with kids with issues and that career grew. It grew into the personal growth and life coaching that I do now.

It seems that many people that do something because it makes a lot of money but don't have the all in heart, they don't enjoy what they do and tend to not be good at it. Go with your heart.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I picked the jobs with the best pay, just happens they've all been in the same field.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Bump... I'd like to hear what more people have to say!
  • stenotraveler
    stenotraveler Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I fell into it. Answered an ad in the paper for an office manager for a court reporting agency. I was hooked. 22 years later and I still love the profession!
  • eireannyoung
    eireannyoung Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am in school to become a Wellness Coach, focusing especially on Nutrition (there's no dietetics program where I live, so I improvised) and with extra knowledge about herbs and natural healing stuff (independent from the university).

I picked this type of career because I experienced the life-changing power of food, exercise, and herbs first-hand. I want to help other people become empowered to change their health circumstances this way, instead of being stuck in the trap of dependency on pharmaceutical drugs.

I'd like to work in a Holistic Health clinic most of all, but would be happy to work anywhere that my focus would translate to: community gyms, drug rehabilitation programs, corporate employee wellness programs, etc.
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I wasn't good at math or science or school in general. But I could draw. So I went to art school for animation. Then got a job in animation. And here I am.
  • mnowens
    mnowens Posts: 71
    Options
    I'm not in the job I want right now because I'm still in school (and I have a LONG way to go yet). But the job I'm aiming for not many people have the stomach for. I know I can handle it and I find the subject extremely interesting.
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I'm a PE teacher and have always loved sport.....oh and long holidays!
  • julialla
    julialla Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm a Finance major..do I see myself being on Wall Street or working in an office 24/7? No! It's a great major to help me with any future endeavors of mine...all businesses use some aspect of Finance. Hopefully the perfect job/career will find me one day!
  • classic_1
    classic_1 Posts: 147
    Options
    I majored in Architecture...waiting for that after college breakthrough. lol
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I am a weird anti-social guy with dubious personal hygiene ... Becoming an IT professional seemed the natural choice ;)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I always loved to dance and make up dances. I don't know why, it was just natural to me (there were other dancers and skaters in my family, so maybe genetic). Then when I was 11 a friend was going to dance class so I went with her. Then when I turned 14 I was old enough to work and could pay for my own dance classes. I took as many as I could. Then I started traveling a bit to take more workshops in different styles that interested me. I was injured in some car accidents, etc. So, I thought I wouldn't be able to dance as a career. But, I still chose a school with a great dance department that I loved because I wanted to continue dancing (while studying science and psychology). Then they asked me to major in dance and that was what I really wanted. It just made sense. I just loved it so much. Once I started dancing I had found my calling and it just kept calling to me always. I couldn't escape it and I didn't want to. It hasn't always been easy (I've had ups and downs), but it's my life and my identity in many ways. Sometimes I wish I had a career that was not so body oriented, and I think about other options. But, I just keep sticking with dance. I'm happy when I dance. Not so happy when I don't. I still struggle with confidence issues. Dance is a creative field and I always have to be creative and create new dances and have new ideas and perform and put myself out there...and I am actually a shy person (but I'm not shy when I am performing). I never know what the future will be and performance may not always be an option. But for now, I'm still dancing.
  • easternNCchick
    easternNCchick Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Fell into it. I was in school for a MA, but knew I didnt like sick ad to do 350 clinical hours and fell into a private practice eye doctors office. Fell in love and now a certified paraoptometric tech. Studying for my next degree. I love working with the eyes. It's so interesting
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I was working in an office for manufacturing engineers. My daughter 18 months was acting weird when going to daycare. I had a weird feeling so my hubby and I made a surprise visit during lunch. My daughter was in a room by herself eating lunch in the corner buckled in a high chair. The daycare lady said she wouldn't eat her lunch. We pulled her out and started looking for daycare. We didn't have any luck finding scene we trusted. My husband had cancer at the time and we were 20 years old. We both had to work no choice for medical bills. I opened my own daycare to stay home with her plus make money . I didn't plan on staying but I have been going for 10 years. I love what I do. I don't like the stress of long hours and the wear on my house. However I enjoy all the small things every day! Plus their biggest problems during the day is picking between Legos and cars. Yep no "real" life issues to deal with from them! Watching little ones learning to walk, crawl, and talk for the first time makes you remember the important things every day!
  • wolfpack77
    wolfpack77 Posts: 655
    Options
    My current career picked me as well. IMO if it calls you, you should follow. Gotta love your work. More important than pay.
  • kaylaandthestarcatcher
    Options
    Are you ready for a very long story? Okay. Here it goes.

A few years ago, my best friend and I decided to take a road trip from Florida to Chicago. Our two favourite bands were playing a show together and it was kind of a big deal and we were just crazy enough to decide to go. While we were there, a touring production RENT was playing at a theatre there. My friend knew that I loved the movie and she bought tickets for us.

I had never seen live theatre before, and when we went, I was kind of blown away by it. And extremely captivated by what they were doing. At the time, I was a journalism major, only one year into college, and I wasn't loving it. I chose journalism because I am pretty decent at writing, and I figured that journalism was something that I could do. I didn't know if I wanted to do it or not, I just thought that yeah, I could do it. Anyways, after I saw RENT, I became obsessed. I downloaded the original cast recording, listened to it all the time, watched countless videos and bootlegs of different casts, memorized the entire thing, and saw the tour that I first saw in Chicago again -- twice when it went through Tampa, twice in Orlando, three times in Miami -- several times in the front row thanks to rush tickets (wait in line all day, get front row seats for $20). I even made the crazy decision to go to Sacramento for the final three shows of the tour. I ended up seeing that tour eleven times in three different states, five different cities.

Along the way, I started listening to other musicals and became just as obsessed. I wanted to be a part of that so badly.

I was a pretty bad student at the time. I skipped class a lot, smoked way too much pot, had no interest in what I was doing, and my bad grades led to me being 'academically dismissed'. I could have reapplied to the same school, but I decided to switch schools. I got my grades up, and then joined the theatre department. I stage managed a play, I stage managed another play, I was cast in a play, I got an internship in the costume shop of a professional theatre, I got a job in the costume shop at school, I stage managed a musical... I found something that I could do and also wanted to do.

Obviously, it's not my career yet, but it will be. And I'm going to work on Broadway. I don't know if I will be acting or designing costumes or stage managing, but I will work in theatre and I will work on Broadway. And I kind of have RENT to thank for it all.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I had a strong joy and learning ability in the computer industry. 15 years later, 6 figure salary and I work from home. I think I made the right choice!

I love my work and I get paid to do it.
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    the joy was sucked out of my life at an early age... responsibilities meant i had to work at what paid the bills instead of what I loved...:sad:
  • Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I needed an elective in high school and the only thing open was accounting so i took it and had the highest average ever at the school after that i competed in accounting competitions that was the only thing I was realy good at so thats what I majored in still doing it