Calorie counts

Options
The calorie approximations seem high to me. Is it just me, am I choosing from the list and possibly getting a "homemade" listing that is innacurate? The most recent question I had concerned scrambled eggs. . .I had one, cooked in coconut oil. I did not add in the oil, but the counter came up with 183 calories and 13 grams of fat for 1/2 C eggs. Does this seem reasonable to others? I thought an egg had a hundred or less calories, usually. . .
Please advise. Maybe I am not using the tracker correctly.

Replies

• lessofme150
    lessofme150 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    If I make something I actually add each item separately so that I know my numbers are correct. I had an egg yesterday for 70 cals and used PAM cooking spray so each item was separate. If you are concerned that the wrong number is being used, break it up by how many eggs you had and how much oil you used. It will be much more accurate.
  • jenniferstanton
    jenniferstanton Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    What I do, depending how many eggs you use... Let's say 2 eggs and 1/4cup of skim milk. Figure out those calories together than once it's made figure out how many cups and than do your portion size accordingly. I know it seems like a pain BUT once it's in your diary you can copy it for different days

2 eggs = 70 calories
    1/4 cup skim milk = 22.5 calories
  • suestonecipher
    Options
    okay then. 183 calories for 1 egg is way off. I will put in the ingredients from now on.
  • lessofme150
    lessofme150 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    More than likely the "scrambled eggs" for 183 calories, included the oil / butter / or margarine used to cook it in.
  • jenniferstanton
    jenniferstanton Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    What I do, depending how many eggs you use... Let's say 2 eggs and 1/4cup of skim milk. Figure out those calories together than once it's made figure out how many cups and than do your portion size accordingly. I know it seems like a pain BUT once it's in your diary you can copy it for different days

2 eggs = 70 calories
    1/4 cup skim milk = 22.5 calories

Sorry. Each egg is 70 calories
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I think the whole thing is built up of people's entries rather than a database of 'official' calorie values - anyway, if the entry is high then I've eaten fewer calories than I thought. In my case this a good thing, on the whole.
    Shouting at computers is generally futile but when it tells me that I am not eating enough I find I tend to want to tell it that, "THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT!!!"
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I will usually look at several entries for the same type of food, if the entries seem consistent, I'll trust them, if they seem wildly inconsistent, I will try to use other resources outside of mfp to figure out what the right info is. Also totally agree on listing each ingredient separately, unless its a prepared food that comes with the nutritional info on the package.