Should I try going low carb for a week?

Options
I cant seem to lose the last 10-15 pds...so I am going to try going low carb for a week and see if that may budge the scale. I work out like crazy and cant get the weight off! I'm thinking maybe my daily popcorn and goldfish cracker snack might have too many carbs! I've never tracked my carbs before so any tips on good low carb eating?

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    If you're going to do it, you should probably commit to it for a month at least, because some people feel pretty bleh the first week or so, and it's not an indication of how you'll feel on it later.
  • skinnyone2012
    skinnyone2012 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    For what its worth, as one who lives low carb doing Paleo....if you go on low carb for just a week...you will go through the withdrawl headaches and probably lose...but when you go back at the end of the week you will have gained nothing because you will be back on carbs and probably put back on 3-5 lbs.

If you are eating popcorn and crackers, how much salt is on them? You might be getting too much sodium and retaining water...
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    It can take 3 weeks to adapt to burning fat as a primary fuel source so unless you commit to less carbs for a while you won't see the full benefits (Less hunger, no sugar/junk cravings, etc).

What you will probably see is some water weight being lost which will be regained when you go back to eating a relatively high carb diet. You may also be affected by some of adverse effects of converting to being a fat burner, which are transitory but can put people off.

I eat low carb because I know my body doesn't need them as a primary source of energy for the long term, not because it is a quick fix to drop some weight.

I actually have a problem with the term 'low carb' as it implies some kind of essential nutritional deprivation, I think of my way of eating as 'adequate carb'.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Rewinding a little, we don't know anything about your diet (as is usual for such threads) but you state "strong is the new skinny" so you must be lifting heavy which means...

So based on the answer, you just thought, does your body look better every time you look in the mirror?
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm. Cut out all the white sugar snacks high in salt. Snack on protein instead. Have your carb snacks only once a week and not every night . If you are training for a 1/2 marathon you need the carbs. I would not recommend going low carb during training.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    48 hours low carbing is plenty to deplete glycogen and release any water weight being held by it to reveal what results are hidden by your water retention. You don't need to low carb to lose fat in any circumstance.
  • Absref71
    Absref71 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I generally carb cycle to lose weight quickly, 2-3 days low carb with 1 day normal/high carb. This will stop your body going into "starvation mode" where you will get lethargic and moody (trust me on that one) as well as your metabolism slowing down.

But 1 thing im learning here is that everyone has a different opinion about the same thing and the only way to really know is to try it out and see how your own body reacts to it
  • UWZander
    UWZander Posts: 70
    Options
    As with all diets go for three weeks minimum.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    1 week will drop water weight.. but water weight always comes back. Why don't u just drop the processed stuff, ie. Goldfish crackers... and see what happens.
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I did low carb last week just to support a friend who wanted to try it. I learned that I NEED fruit! I can live without bread though but I like the low carb tortillas. I have other nutritional needs to look at and I just can't do it low carb. That said, I lost an inch (yes an INCH) off my waist in 6 days of not being completely low carb. (I am diabetic, and my doctor feels strongly that wheat contributes to belly fat and maybe he is onto something. After all, we don't call it a beer belly for nothing! LOL!) I cant say I lost any weight, but I did lose that inch, and lost nothing anywhere else. Maybe if you committed to the 3 weeks or more, it will work for you. Good luck!
  • msstuard
    msstuard Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I agree with the rest who say you should give it more time. I think a month.
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    The science and success of a low carb diet is undeniable. Your ancestors from the mid-1900's and earlier were thin because they ate a diet that was low carb. Processed sugars, refined carbs, and high fat foods were just not available like they are today. It is the reason that all the generations and cultures before then were mostly thin.

When working out, you do not burn a single calorie of fat until the carbs (glucose) in your muscles have been depleted. With a low carb diet done correctly, you don't have enough glucose in your muscles to begin with so your body immediately reverts to burning any foods just consumed and then fat burning from storage after that.

Here are a couple articles to wrap your head around:

http://www.foodrenegade.com/how-to-burn-stored-body-fat-a-ketosis-primer/

http://asianwithoutrice.com/the-ketogenic-primer/
  • Turtle003
    Turtle003 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info! I am weight training 3x a week and running about 25 -28 miles a week. I didn't think about the sodium in the popcorn and crackers I eat...I guess I could work on cutting those out. I eat too much fruit to give that up on a low carb diet though. What is a good low carb snack?
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    . You don't need to low carb to lose fat in any circumstance.

One circumstance....diabetes.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    What is a good low carb snack?

I eat beef jerky. It is a little high on the sodium but I don't chow down on it. :)
  • Turtle003
    Turtle003 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I am lifting about 3x a week in addition to my running 6 times a week. I take 1 day off. I have been in a plateau for about 6 months and keep gaiing and losing the same 5-6 lbs! I thought a big change like going low carb might work to kick start my weight loss again. I've lost about 55 lbs during the last year and have ~15 more to go.
  • angeljamin
    angeljamin Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    For what its worth, as one who lives low carb doing Paleo....if you go on low carb for just a week...you will go through the withdrawl headaches and probably lose...but when you go back at the end of the week you will have gained nothing because you will be back on carbs and probably put back on 3-5 lbs.

Agreed! Been there done that. Unless, you plan to give them up forever; which isn't healthy, you will put on everything you lost and then some.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to look at a number of factors before determining that low carb dieting is the solution to your plateau. (Training, macro sufficiency, duration of plateau, TDEE accuracy/energy intake/etc)

I don't think low carb diets are inherently good or bad. It's a tool that is good under some circumstances and not so good for others.

It's quite possible that there are a number of other solutions to your problem.
  • luvmakeup4ever
    luvmakeup4ever Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I actually think the low carb diet is magnificent. If you look at the studies of Duke University's very own Dr Eric Westman, you will get a grasp on how sugar is used in a political stance to make us fat which in turn makes us more dependent on drugs and buy more sugary foods making corporations richer.
    I strongly urge you to also check out Dr Robert Luswig and a lecture by Dr Stephen W Ponder called "children of the cornfield". It's time we reconsider how we approach weight loss and sugar just isn't a great approach in my opinion

I am on low carb and I used to be an apple shape. I also see an endocrinologist. I have lost a total of 20 lbs in the past month or so, I feel 100 times better, my stomach has reduced dramatically, and the weight is falling off everyday now that I have cut sugars. Best of luck to you and please open your mind and a few books so that you can make an informed decision
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    What is a good low carb snack?
    Cheese, or nuts.

"Working out like crazy" is often associated with stalled weight loss. Try a rest.