Working with children

Options
So, I'm a youth worker and I run around after 8-12 year olds for about five hours every Friday. Its exhausting, I have put my activity levels as lightly active as I work every day and stuff but I don't know if running around after the children could be counted as exercise? Ive put down a couple of hours of walking at the moment, but wanted to know if anyone else does this/ has the same job? :D

Replies

• PaleoRDH
    PaleoRDH Posts: 266
    Options
    well i'm on the other end of the age group.......... i work in a hospital taking care of disabled elderly people, hooked up to oxygen and catheters and in wheelchairs... i'm running all day long too. i also listed my activity level as "light" because it says...... "like a nurse".... which i was shocked to see because not many people bust their booties like nurses!
  • pearlyyy92
    Options
    Exactly! I put it as 2 hours of walking at 3mph, but i did a lot more than that! Im so confused about what to put haha!
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    when i saw 'like a nurse' I laughed, I used to work as an LNA and my nurses were lazy *****es. I know they're not all like that, but these ones were something else. Turned me off from the nursing field BIG TIME. Anyway, I put my diary as sedentary, so then it doesn't count any activity. I would do that, if you wanted to count your job or whatever as exercise. I count cleaning and even walking in the grocery store.
  • pearlyyy92
    Options
    Hm, that's a good idea, thanks! Haha still,they need an exercise option for this kind of stuff!
  • sperky1975
    sperky1975 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am a nanny and like you spend my day running around after little ones. I only log my exercise if i do something a little out of the ordinary - go for a long walk with them, go swimming etc as I kind of think otherwise it is just like my normal day when I have my son or like most mummies days who are at home. I do also wear a pedometer though as I seem to walk miles when at work and this also logs calories burnt. x x x
  • DiLoTray
    Options
    I teach during the school year and find that wearing a pedometer helps me keep track.
  • pearlyyy92
    Options
    I'll have to get a heart rate monitor and report back fly findings! I don't want to think I've done loads of exercise and then eat more and slow my weight loss down. Thanks for the replays! :D xxx
  • 6mimi
    6mimi Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I have a home daycare caring for 6 children ages 4 and under. I go go go go all day long! :tongue: I put mine as lightly active because I would rather caution on that side of error. I usually just log whatever exercise I do before/after work or if I take the children for a walk, yoga in the park.. that kind of thing. A week or so ago I did buy a fitbit which I really like. It lets me know how many steps I have taken all day so I have a better idea of what activity I had while working. As long as I am getting in at least 10,000 steps a day I feel good about my activity while working.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I wear a body bugg. I have a home day are of 12 kids. I burn average 3000 calories a day without working out. I only log my workouts if it's out of my normal day. Trips to the gym, runs, or walks.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I'm also a youth worker. We are busy gals :)

I have my settings as "lightly active." I don't log anything work-related as extra calories. I figure, if I'm actually burning some extra calories, that's good, but I'm not going to log it.
  • pearlyyy92
    Options
    YEah my fiancé is always like, well you know you've burned a few more calories so you don't have to be so strict at dinner time, Or something like that! All that coffee and green tea probably helps as well :p
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I also work with kids. I feel like it is normal activity, not like it's much more than walking and playing. I definitely sit down too. So I only count if we go for a walk or if I sneak a playground workout in (HRM on me!). I also set my goals manually and subtracted 25% off my TDEE between light/sedentary. I then eat back exercise cals (subtract my BMR before entering).
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    you don't count your work as exercise. you have to add more to your normal daily routine, or how do you expect to seee changes??
  • PaleoRDH
    PaleoRDH Posts: 266
    Options
    when i saw 'like a nurse' I laughed, I used to work as an LNA and my nurses were lazy *****es. I know they're not all like that, but these ones were something else. Turned me off from the nursing field BIG TIME. Anyway, I put my diary as sedentary, so then it doesn't count any activity. I would do that, if you wanted to count your job or whatever as exercise. I count cleaning and even walking in the grocery store.

Good Lord not these days with the nursing shortage. You're lucky if you have time to pee. My S-I-L is an OR nurse and works 14 hour days sometimes, on her feet and never resting. I'm a dental hygienist, but I work in a hospital on 100% disabled veterans, never a dull moment, I run around like ca-raaaa-zey.... and none of the nurses in the hospital have it easy @ all. But like you said.... it just depends. :wink: