Diet.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    They are equal in my mind..
  • likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Neither, they both are. They both work together.
  • RedWeb
    RedWeb Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    ...why not do both any way ? It will be better for you.
  • MissShancey
    Options
    You can't out train a bad diet.

#truth
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    Bump
  • MissShancey
    Options
    ...why not do both any way ? It will be better for you.

well, yes... this would be best
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Purely in terms of pounds lost, diet. Exercise (especially weight training) helps influence how much fat vs. muscle you lose.
  • kristinacottle
    Options
    Diet. You can't make up for a bad diet with exercise.
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    For me personally it has to be both. Just watching diet is eh, just exercising is eh, put together and that's when all the happy happens!
  • MessyLittlePanda
    MessyLittlePanda Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Diet, probably. Certainly if you have a lot of weight to lose.

BUT I think the importance of exercise increases as you lose more weight, because diet alone won't shift the last stone or so, at least that's what I've found anyway. I had 2 stone (28lb) to lose, the first 11lb came off when I changed my diet without doing much else, but I found I needed to increase my exercise and do the right exercise to start losing the second stone.

Exercise has also changed the look of my body, increased my self esteem and improved my health (cardiovascular fitness, endurance etc). So, I think exercise is particuarly important for keeping the weight off. Improved fitness means you want to do more, to challenge yourself, maybe try new types of sport or activity, because you are physically more able to. Increased self esteem from improving at your fitness goals, or the social aspects and accountability of being part of a team/fitness group or club means that you are less likely to comfort eat and fall back into bad habits. Improved body composition has health benefits such as being at less risk of heart disease, hypertension, diabetes and even certain cancers, because you reduce the visceral fat around the organs. Exercise combined with healthy diet is more successful at reducing this kind of fat than diet alone.

I also tend to think, not from a particularly scientific point of view but more from my own experiences, that when you take a holistic, long term view to losing weight, and you do it to improve your whole body and life not just a scale number, it tends to be more successful for longer than people who just "go on a diet". And this is just what I've observed really from the type of work I used to be involved in (health promotion campaigns) and from observing friends and family try and lose weight.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • moonlightturk
    Options
    Both go hand in hand. One helps with maintaing a healthy life, one builds strength and endurance. Diet is #1 though.
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Both . . .
    I once heard (or read) it explained this way:
    diet to look good in your clothes- exercise to look good naked!
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    You can't out exercise a bad diet....

not to say one can't have indulgences, but it needs to be balanced-not ruled by indulgences with occasionally eating healthy. ;)
  • etajr
    etajr Posts: 49
    Options
    From everything I have researched. It is 60% to 70% diet and 30 to 40% exercise, but you have to do both...
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    As far as dropping pounds, every little thing I eat makes a big difference. So I'd say diet. Exercise is definitely necessary, but if I am eating unhealthy foods or simply too much food, the cellulite and fat rolls and pounds aren't gonna budge. I exercise to burn calories so I can eat a little more (and of course to gain muscle and strength, etc.), but I do a lot of yoga simply for my MENTAL health. And when I'm healthier mentally, I can make better eating choices. So they go hand in hand, but diet is probably a little more important if you want to see pounds drop fast.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    What's more important: arms or legs?

Yes, some people get by with only 1 or the other, or even neither, but that's not optimal.
  • shesquats
    shesquats Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Diet and exercise go hand in hand for total health. Someone said 'you can't out train a bad diet'; this is true! :) Good luck!