Shin Splints

Options
I've been doing the C25K program and taking it slow. But lately, I can't finish the workout because my shins hurt so much I can barely even move my leg forward (although hopping on one leg might be a better workout!). I iced it down this morning and took some Aleve. Anything else I can do to get it to heal? Any stretches to help? What can I do to prevent this?

Replies

• magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the C25K program and taking it slow. But lately, I can't finish the workout because my shins hurt so much I can barely even move my leg forward (although hopping on one leg might be a better workout!). I iced it down this morning and took some Aleve. Anything else I can do to get it to heal? Any stretches to help? What can I do to prevent this?

There is a chapter in the book called "the 4 hour body" by Timothy something or other... he explains how to get rid of them. That might help if the advice on here doesn't work for you
  • mmcgille
    mmcgille Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I'll try to find it. Any other tips?
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Compression socks or sleeves! The help prevent and relieve shin splint pain.

If you haven't, get professionally fitted for shoes.

Cross train! Weights and cycling are great ways to strengthen the shins.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    And good ol' ice :smile:
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I use to get this a lot. My PT said it would help to strengthen the muscles around my knees. Try adding more resistance exercises for your legs. Also consider getting your gait checked as you may need new trainers with more support under your arches.
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    When I first started I did the epson salt soaks. Also stretching really really really good afterwards. I only ran every other day to give my legs time to rest. Icy hot and just ice were my friends. Good shoes can do miracles.