Gluten-free?

Options
Hi all - I've committed to eating gluten-free for a full month to see how it affects my anxiety. The problem? I'm a bread-aholic! :wink: Does anyone have some recommendations of great gluten-free products or recipes to share? Thanks so much!

Replies

• ktully93
    ktully93 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have been gluten free since February. It seems hard at first ,but definitely gets easier. I eat Food for Life g-free tortillas a lot, soft corn tortillas, and Udi's g-free bread(kept in frozen section). For snacks, I eat Blue Diamond nut Crackers and rice tortilla chips. Keep at it! I have benefitted greatly from going g-free. I've noticed less bloating and lethargy.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Udi's is the best brand for GF bread. They also make great muffins, granola, pizza crust, etc. Corn tortillas are awesome for making quesadillas. Snyder's of Hanover has GF pretzels that are lower in sodium than most of the other ones, but still high in sodium, of course. Blue Diamond Nut Thins and Mary's Gone Crackers are my favorite GF crackers. Get some GF tamari to use instead of soy sauce and you can make fried rice at home. Check out chickpea flour. It's used in some Ethiopian and Indian recipes, but also makes nice savory frybread/pancakes. It's also called besan.
  • vestarocks
    vestarocks Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Stopping by to say that you can do this. There is so much out there to substitute. Lots of websites with recipes etc. I can't help you out with recipes because I've been grain free, not just gluten free, since January. ...and yes, I'd murder for a sandwich.

Everyone I know who has anxiety and has gone gluten free, myself included, has had great success in reduction.

Good luck.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Udi's makes a pretty good bread, especially for toasting. IMHO, If you are truly a breadaholic, you may be best to give it up for 2 weeks and to get control of it. That is what worked best for me, but to each his own.
  • lindsaybits
    Options
    Some stores, like Trader Joe's, will have informational pamphlets at their customer service counters that give lists of which of their products are GF. If there's a TJ's near you, they have some awesome GF stuff. Their GF frozen waffles are pretty good, and their corn pasta is (aside from the color) amazingly close in taste and texture to regular pasta. Udi's makes some decent GF bread, which you're more likely to find in the freezer section than near the rest of the bread. Another brand that makes some decent GF bread is Schär -- I've never had any sliced bread of theirs, but their hamburger buns aren't bad.
  • KristenCook2
    KristenCook2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone! I appreciate it!
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    If you can find a place that carries Julian's Bakery bread products, you can find some pretty good breads. My friend recommends the coconut flour gluten free bread and said it was super soft just like real bread and really low in calories.

http://www.julianbakery.com/bread/gluten-free/

She said the Almond bread was really good but it's pretty high in calories. You can order online or just look to see if they have a store locally carrying the product. Just click, where to buy, you should be able to find it.

Udi makes a fantastic pizza crust (though high in calories). You'll have to really count the topics and measure them to get it under 500. I manage it and I make great pizza that's just like normal pizza.
  • KristenCook2
    KristenCook2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks Monica - heading over to check out that website now!
  • ktully93
    Options
    I made gluten free zucchini bread last night with fresh zucchini from our garden. I substituted Bob's Red Mill All-purpose Gluten Free flour and it turned out wonderful! I.added 1 extra egg to the recipe to keep the bread moist and it worked. Good luck and don't be afraid to experiment.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Eggs, omlettes or even some puffin cereal. Its what my wife ests for breakfast.
  • THuffman1967
    THuffman1967 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My husband is celiac, and his favorite brand of bread is Canyon Bakehouse. He says it's better than Udi's. We also bake a lot with Pamela's Products. Their pancake and baking mix is fantastic!
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    I would love to have a copy of that gluten free zucchini bread. Would you mind posting it? I love zucchini bread and I think I still have some in my fridge. :)

Moni
  • ktully93
    Options
    Brown Sugar Zucchini Bread Gluten Free

2 cups Gluten Free All-Purpose baking flour. (I use Bob's Red Mill)
    1/2 cup brown sugar. (I use 1/4 c Splenda brown sugar blend)
    6 Tablespoons granulated sugar (I use Xylitol)
    1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder gluten free
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 cup old-fashioned oats (I use gluten free)
    3 large eggs (I use 4)
    3/4 cup vegetable oil
    2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
    2 cups grated zucchini

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9x5 inch loaf pan.

Stir the flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in large bowl. When combined, mix in oats. Make a well in the. Enter of mixture. Whisk eggs, oil, and vanilla together in small bowl and pour into well of dry ingredients. Combine lightly, then stir in the zucchini. Do not over mix.

Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle the top with crystallized sugar (optional). Bake for 60-65 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto cooling rack for an additional 10 minutes before slicing.

My original recipe states that it serves 8, but I get at least 10-12 slices out of my loaf in order to keep calories around 200 per slice.
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    Cool. I think I'll need to get the old fashioned oats. That's the one item I don't have. Thanks for the recipe. :)
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Bisquick also makes a gluten free version of their baking mix. I love Pamela's baking mixes too. I did make pancakes with the GF Bisquick and they turned out really well.