Please help me.

Options
First off let me start by saying that I want no rude comments. If you don't want to help me, simply move on. I need help. I am desperate for the help.
I have been on MyFitnessPal for quite a while now. I have logged in for about 48 days straight. Some days have been better than others. Things have been crazy in my life. I live with my boyfriend and he is wonderful. Though he is not dieting with me right now, he is very encouraging and wants me to be happy. We have went through a lot in the past few months causing us to be out to dinner often with his family or cooking at his family members houses (not always healthy either). Before we went on vacation the first week of June I was down to 277. Then we went on a weekend vacation two weeks after that, and just went camping last week. Because of those three trips, and having a lot going on, my weight has stayed between 283-285 for about a month (which I am ok with the fact that it has not went up higher than that) BUT……

Starting Monday, I want to get on the ball. I want to lose weight, feel better about myself, and just have a better grip of watching what I eat. I already make a weekly list of dinners we will have that are full of leaner meats (96/4 ground meat, turkey roasts, chicken, turkey meat), potatoes (and if we have fries, we make them with potatoes ourselves), reduced sodium items for my BP, and so on. I know I will have bad days but I want the good to out weight the bad. I want this for me, myself, and I.

My stats:
Start Weight: 302
Current Weight: 283-285(it varies between those numbers for the past 3-5 days)
Goal Weight: 180

I try to work out 3 times a week for 45 minutes each time (Zumba, Walking, Biking are main exercises). I am a teacher and am on my feet for most of the day when at work. Since being on MFP regularly, I have read all this information about my TDEE and BMR so I looked it up as well.

Using fat2fitradio my current BMR is 2102 calories
Using Fitnessfrog my TDEE is 2883 selecting light exercise (1-3 times a week) and 2516 selecting no exercise.

MyFitnessPal set these for me:
Net Calories Consumed: 1810 calories
Carbohydrates: 55% 249g
Protein 15% 68g
Fat 30% 60g

I don't want to completely cut out my favorite foods but rather want to make them fit into my diet (which I often try to do so I work out hard and make it worth eating that pizza or those nachos). But all this information is confusing and I am tired of feeling hungry. I am slowly getting use to fruits(but was told they are high in sugar and not to eat too much of them) and starting to try new veggies. I just need help, advice, or guidiance.

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• jillebean60
    jillebean60 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    1. Revamp your fav dishes if you haven't already. 2. When you are contemplating eating something you know is not going to contribute to helping you lose- Stop and think about how bad you'll feel when you wake up in the morning, knowing you didn't do what you wanted, let yourself down by not working as hard as possible towards goal, and lacked self control that you can dig down and find with effort and then lastly 3. Distract yourself asap when you want to overeat. Coffee, gum, huge glass of ice water, believe it or not deep breathing for 10-20 breaths takes the edge off for me. Best to ya in your efforts!
  • Buddy978
    Options
    I started with MFP in mid-July. My younger brother was using it to drop about 20-25 pounds and was doing well. We were staying there for vacation for about 10 days. He has a small gym downstairs with a stationary bike, a treadmill, and free-weights. Almost every evening when he gets home and before eating dinner, he works out strenuously. Then, we'd go out for a bite or eat at home. He showed me how easy the program was and I added it to my iPone and began to use it daily. However, I have only gone by the calorie counter. For me, that started at 1760 per day. I was weighing 217 pounds.

Neither one of us were watching the PFC listings (protein, fat, carbs) listings. Ninety-eight percent of the time, I do not even reach my daily limit, yet I eat three GOOD meals a day, and have two small snacks every afternoon and evening. As of Friday, I am down to 207 pounds. I have not gone through any hunger binges whatsoever. I am satiated every day. I also drink a lot (and I mean "a lot) of ice water every day. No cold soda or diet drinks, included. The reason for so much ice water is that the body is unable to process ice-cold water. It must heat it up to use it in our systems. The ONLY way it can do that is my firing up our metabolism. THAT is what burns calories.

Additionally, I went back on our Wii "Fitness Plus" game and use the steps for about 20 minutes per day. Then, I found our "Biggest Loser" Wii game and started doing a few of its circuits for another 20 minutes. Add in walking our dog, and I'm happy with my exerciBTW BTw, I should mention that I am officially disabled due to a severe back condition, multiple surgeries, and over 30 injections. So, this amount of exercise is excellent for me, as long as I'm careful of what I do.

My goal is about another 20-25 pounds or a smaller-sized belt...whichever comes first. Don't give up. But keep an EXACT tracking of your calories!!! Be truthful and take a vow to keep enter every single thing that you eat. Don't worry, after a short while, you're able to find your foods and enter all the data very quickly. You CAN and WILL lose weight, if you stay true to yourself!

Good luck!!

Buddy
  • El_getting_fit
    Options
    I would suggest manually changing the ratio of your carbs, protein and fat. MFP sets really low protein and high carbs. I have switched mine to 40% Protein 30% fat & 30% carbs. My fat's come from good fats though like avocado, nuts, nut butters, EVOO etc.
    Previously I had been using MFP for a couple of months and was staying under my calorie goal almost every day but I was eating lots of carbs & sugars and I hardly lost anything. Now my trainer told me to eat more protein and less carbs the weight has come off much easier. I hope you find out what is right and works for you.
  • bern929
    bern929 Posts: 12
    Options
    I think if you can watch particularly processed foods and high fat foods you will be okay. Unfortunately, you can't have your cake and eat it to if you want to be healthy. Perhaps you can have nachos with salsa, instead of high fat cheese. I made pizzas yesterday for me and my husband using the flatout bread. I made a big salad and had the pizza and was satisfied. I am forcing myself to eat vegetables before I eat my main course so that a smaller portion is enough. Have you tried Sugar Free Popsicles, or Jello Sugar Free Pudding? I love the Light and Fit 80 calorie Yogurts, also the Atkins bars if I really have a need for something sweet. If you really want to lose weight, for now you need to cut out the high cal foods, eat more vegetables, more fiber. This has been very hard for me and I don't always eat enough cals but I do the best I can. I am unable to exercise due to severe osteoarthritis in my knees. I am attempting to get a discounted membership at my Y so I can do aquasize which burns fat and does not have any kind of negative side effect to my arthritis because it is done in water. Perhaps you can have a day of the week that you treat yourself, just don't over do it. I have found I am best not treating myself because I might be tempted to stop doing what I have been doing here. Losing weight is a really hard thing to do. I think writing down what I eat here has helped me be faithful. I also pray and believe that God is helping me to stay on track. Good luck to you. If you want to friend me please do. I have only been at this about two weeks and will weigh myself monthly.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I tend to do better when I stay within my calorie allotment, eat higher in protein and lower in carbs and drink lots of water. Best of luck to you! You say you eat a lot, one trick that helps me is to ask for a to-go box right away. I box up 2/3 of my meal right away. I take my time over the remaining 1/3 on my plate and am not tempted to keep picking at it. Plus, I get two more meals out of it at home :)
  • bern929
    bern929 Posts: 12
    Options
    what is TDEE?
  • Jenny021880
    Jenny021880 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I feel a lot better when I eat more fat and protien then MFP wants me to do. Obviously I eat less carbs too. I have completely cut out pasta and bread. I love those things but honestly I don't even crave them anymore. I know how hard it is to diet when the whole hosehold isn't on board (I live with my boyfriend too.) Hey, and congradulations on the weight you have already lost! Don't forget that!
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I'm on 40/30/30 carbs/fat/protein. Getting 100g+ of protein a day fills me with energy and keeps me feeling full. I suggest changing your ratios to up the protein and lower the carbs.
  • Gretch33
    Gretch33 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Plan,Plan, Plan! Hard times will come! I'm glad your though them. Just take it and know where you need to tweek. Get excited about the restraunts salads. Carry these lemond aid or drink flavors in your purse and car ( i get them at the dollar store.) I hated the price of the salads. But, finally decided if my husband wanted to go out then he would just have to pay for the 10.00 salad. If you like to pick at your food while visiting the order a bowl of fruite (usualy in the kid section)! Just little tweeks go a long long way! I usually stay well under the calorie mark!
  • heretoloseit95
    Options
    Ok :) , First off, Congrats for wanting to get your life back together and get yourself back on track :)) and i wish you the best of luck.
    In my opinion:- based on the information you have provided, try to cut down on 500 calories from your TDEE and see how that goes, I think 249 grams of carbs is really high though, try not to eat that much carbs, instead up your proteins a bit and try 150-180 grams carbs, fruits are definitely a healthy choice, it's way better than eating chocolate and ice-cream anyway, Fruits are sugar, but it's all natural and healthy so they make great snacks. Fresh fruits are the best and better than canned/dried. Snack on nuts, carrot stick and hummus, apples and peanut butter as well :) .
    I Haven't eliminated anything from my diet, i still eat whatever i want, It really is about portion control, you can have a slice of pizza just not a whole pizza, two squares of dark chocolate and not the whole bar, etc..... . I have lost 25 pounds eating whatever the hell i want, I think you're doing great with the exercising and you're on the right track here :). Good luck!
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    One other thing--sorry! I feel better when I eat more protein and less carbs than MFP gives. I usually don't eat low carb by any means but the less protein I eat, the more sluggish and demotivated I feel.

THIS. I was miserable until I changed up my carb and protein marcos. I think I put carbs at 50% or even 45%. I'm not a low carb advocate or anything but man that really helped my energy levels.
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    what is TDEE?

Total Daily Energy Expenditure (how many calories you burn every day by being alive and living your particular life)
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Congrats on doing something for yourself!!! I recommend starting to try to stay in your calorie range, and slowly adding or subtracting things. This makes things much more livable. So maybe first week cut out pop and focus on drinking water, continue tracking everything and try to stay withing your goal, once this is comfortable. Move to the next change you want to make, adding more veggies, ect. You didn't put this weight on overnight and you will not take it off overnight. The rule that has helped me. is "Don't do anything to lose the weight that you can't do for the rest of your life." So if you aren't willing to work out 3 hours a day for the rest of your, don't do it to lose the weight. I think that is a common pitfall. If you do something unrealistic and then fail, one is apt to thrown in the towel and quit all together.

Another I should add, you mentioned your boyfriend is not dieting. There is going to come a time in which he is having an indulgence, or maybe your out with friends and they are eating bad, and you will want to eat bad because they are. You are in control of everything that goes in your mouth. Just because <insert bad food> is available to you does not mean you have to eat it! This was very hard for me. I would get frustrated because my hubby would be eating ice cream, so I would eat ice cream, and low and behold I would be over on my calories and I would feel like it's his fault that I ate bad. Once I started taking personal responsibility, and realized I was in control of what went into my mouth, thinks got easier. The first time I said no to a sundae and he ate one, I thought I would die. You know what, five minutes later I was very proud of myself.

Since then, saying no has gotten easier. I have learned that my achilles heel is sweets (ok I always knew that), but have found tea (especially cinnamon, chocolate and vanilla carmel) will end a sugar craving. I also have figured out that I need to watch my carbs and reduce processed carbs in order to lose (fruit and veggie don't effect my loss). You really just need to play with you diet to find what works for you. I think that is why weight loss is so hard, it's different for everyone, one person may need more protein, one less carbs, the next less fat. I was on a plateau for 7 months until I figured the carb thing out. But I knew if I gave up I would gain what I lost and just come back to start over. So I kept going, and I'm so glad I did. I can't wait to read you success story, feel free to add me as a friend if you like.
  • JackiepMN
    JackiepMN Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just started reading the MFP forums (I'm kind of a private person and always want to stay behind the scenes) but am beginning to see the value in reading some of them and maybe even posting an occasional reply.
    Just want to say how impressed I am that you do Zumba!!! I am quite overweight and would never have rhe courage to even try that! Add the fact that I have two left feet and can't dance to save my life!!
    GOOD FOR YOU!!!
    Just keep going...one hour at a time...one day at a time. You may gain a little once in awhile, but if most of the time you lose - even very slowly - you will feel and look better....just think how much better in a year!
    GOOD LUCK!!
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Dont give up! It can be hard to get into the groove of a new diet and I totally understand. If you feel like MFP isn't giving you enough, then add some calories to what makes you feel good. I'm not saying overeat and add too many calories. Just adjust to what you need. I've found MFP to be pretty accurate for me and to work well. Just be very careful to follow it well! I usually had fruit once a day as a snack to cut down on sugars because I tend to go over. Also, as for the "good" foods you want (yummmm nachos!) add them in when you can. Don't completely take out those foods, espeically if you're prone to binging on them. Have them once a week, just one serving and in moderation. You'll make it happen, I promise!!

*feel free to add me :)
  • heatherzitterkopf
    heatherzitterkopf Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try Cutting out flour and sugar, and anything that is processed. I know that its hard to give up those yummy foods but your taste buds will adjust.Consistency is key Remeber that nothing tastes as good as skinny feels! You might also want to check out a diet called "cheat your way thin". It works really well. Good luck!
  • Sequence88
    Options
    First of all, great job on deciding to make positive changes in your life. It can be hard, but the payoff is worth it!

A few things that have worked for me:
    For most meals, especially if I am going to make a less than ideal choice, I have a big plate of veggies (not a salad unless it's a good mix of greens)like chopped celery, broccoli, carrots, peppers...whatever you like, before I eat my main course. The fibre in the veggies helps to fill me up before my main meal,as well fibre helps your body to process denser foods and move them through your body more efficiently, not to mention the many benefits you're giving yourself from the added vegetables at each meal.
    Whole grains. Try to add in more whole grains to your diet, they are filling, generally fairly low cal, and great for the digestive system. Quinoa tastes great, a little nutty, and you can do anything with it...I've used it in anything from the base for a stir fry, in salads, all the way to baking it into cookies. Very versatile grain. Switch out white rice and potatoes for brown rice. Little changes can make a world of difference overall.
    I have switched from having cereal or eggs or anything traditional for breakfast to having a green smoothie. That was a big change, but now I can't imagine starting my morning without one, seriously. It gives me energy unlike anything I've ever experienced, and it just makes me feel so good. If you feel like you need more protein at breakfast, add in a scoop of protein powder, or enjoy one, and in the beginning mid morning if you're not satisfied, have an egg or something to fill you up. But basically they are blended fruits and vegetables...what better way to kick start your metabolism and digestive system in the morning? The fibre will help you to feel full, and all of the vitamin and antioxidant goodness will make you feel fantastic. Google them, there are TONS of great recipes out there. If you are uncomfortable at the thought of having veggies in your smoothie, go slow. A handful of spinach, banana, peanut butter and ice...you won't even taste the spinach, I promise ;) you can add more in as your taste buds adjust. PM me if you want some of my recipes, I've done tons of experimenting. Hope some of this helps.
  • NeverGoingToQuit
    NeverGoingToQuit Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the words of encouargement. I know that I am not going to lose the weight over night and I know it took a long time to put it on. I just get very discouraged when I see the scale reading the same thing over and over. I check my inches and I am not losing or gaining. I also know that I need to be patient and that is really hard for me. I will keep plugging away at it and hope that it starts working. Tomorrow is a new day for me. Tomorrow is the day I start fresh and try new things, new ways to eat, but not change what I like. I will make it fit into my lifestyle.