washing workout clothes in Oxy Clean

Options
Does anyone else wash their workout clothes in oxyclean or peroxide? I rinse them after I work out, and only wear them once, but then once a week I wash all of them in oxyclean.

It really helps with the left over odors.

Anyone have another solution?

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I just wash them in my normal laundry detergent (The Honest Company). I never have lingering odors. They do have an oxy booster that I just got, but that's mainly for tough baby stains (poop, food, etc.).
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I add oxiclean in the washer, but I also use detergent. I don't seem to have any issues with lingering odors.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I just wash them in my normal laundry detergent (The Honest Company). I never have lingering odors. They do have an oxy booster that I just got, but that's mainly for tough baby stains (poop, food, etc.).
    You're lucky! After a few months of running I get "lingering odors". My husband's baseball cap does too. I wash that in oxyclean too. It really helps.
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I literally take my gym wear off as soon as i walk in the door and hoy them in the washer. The sweat has no smell until it drys or is left for a few hours so as long as its wet when u wash it it shouldn't smell. But for stinky trainers there is a stain devil lemon stain remover spray that's a miracle in a can. It gets rid of any pong no matter how pungent.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I add oxiclean in the washer, but I also use detergent. I don't seem to have any issues with lingering odors.
    I am now trying adding it to my regular loads. In fact, they are in the washer at this moment! With oxy and detergent. Good to know it works well for work out clothes in the washer!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I literally take my gym wear off as soon as i walk in the door and hoy them in the washer. The sweat has no smell until it drys or is left for a few hours so as long as its wet when u wash it it shouldn't smell. But for stinky trainers there is a stain devil lemon stain remover spray that's a miracle in a can. It gets rid of any pong no matter how pungent.
    I can't bring myself to do a load of laundry for 1 shirt, 1 bra, and one shorts, five times a week.

So I rinse them. :-(
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    I seem to recall someone in an older thread on this topic mentioned soaking workout clothes in a vinegar solution to get rid of the stink. I've never tried it so I can't vouch for it.

We use oxy clean on our while loads and I'm not convinced it makes any noticeable difference.
  • shawaniea
    shawaniea Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Let them air out by a window or outside and mabe spray with Fabreze
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Let them air out by a window or outside and mabe spray with Fabreze
    Febreeze just masks odors, in my opinion. It doesn't remove them.

Oxy clean removes them.

thanks though.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I seem to recall someone in an older thread on this topic mentioned soaking workout clothes in a vinegar solution to get rid of the stink. I've never tried it so I can't vouch for it.

We use oxy clean on our while loads and I'm not convinced it makes any noticeable difference.
    vinegar. wow. But makes sense.

A triathlon friend swears by hydrogen peroxide soaks, but that gets a bit expensive. I'll stick with the oxyclean for while.
  • jaharrison763
    jaharrison763 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I wash mine after every workout. I figure that's what the small load option is for on my washer! I always air-dry them, so I don't worry about wasting energy there. I really like wearing fresh smelling workout clothes. It's a reward for my hard work in the gym. :smile:
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I don't have this issue with my workout clothes but I hve used baking soda to get rid of other foul odors
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Tide Sport defunks my clothes. Even if my very naughty cat pees on something.
  • kototo
    kototo Posts: 49 Member
    Options

I would try the vinegar in your daily rinse. Its an acid and acids will kill bacteria and bacteria is what causes the odors! Sounds like its worthwhile trying! LOL... keep us posted!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I would try the vinegar in your daily rinse. Its an acid and acids will kill bacteria and bacteria is what causes the odors! Sounds like its worthwhile trying! LOL... keep us posted!
    That's a great idea!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I use Borax in my laundry to take care of odors....seems to work fine.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I would think soaking in borax water or baking soda water would help. I've used both in the diaper pail and it helps.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I use Borax in my laundry to take care of odors....seems to work fine.
    I bet it would. Great idea.
  • marc8686
    marc8686 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    i distribute for a company called Legacy of Clean. very quality brand concentrated detergents. i just wash them with the normal laundry.
    Does anyone else wash their workout clothes in oxyclean or peroxide? I rinse them after I work out, and only wear them once, but then once a week I wash all of them in oxyclean.

It really helps with the left over odors.

Anyone have another solution?
  • Anticipated_Serendipity
    Options
    I usually wash in regular laundry with good ole gain. (since i'm allergic to most other brands). But I also find soaking them in regular Dawn dish detergent works wonders as well.