Green Tea?

Options
I heard that green tea helps a person when trying to lose weight. I just bought some and was wondering if anyone else was drinking it, and if so how much they drank in a day. Has anyone noticed that it helped at all? Thanks :smile:

Replies

• irisibegbulem
    Options
    My parents are from another country and drink tea every single day so it's been sketched into my genes to have green tea. It raises your metabolism and enables you to have a much more regular bowel movement plus it said to have negative calories. It's very good. You'll like it :) Usually have a mug full. Sometimes 1-2 cups a day. It does help especially if you aren't used to drinking it all. It feels like it cleans out your system. In my opinion.
  • jshort152
    Options
    Green tea has a lot of caffeine in it and that is why that, along with coffee, helps to move fat into the bloodstream to be used as energy, just make sure you drink a lot of water with it as well, hope this helps!

Jesse Short
    ISSA Certified Personal Trainer
  • moonlightturk
    Options
    My parents are from another country and drink tea every single day so it's been sketched into my genes to have green tea. It raises your metabolism and enables you to have a much more regular bowel movement plus it said to have negative calories. It's very good. You'll like it :) Usually have a mug full. Sometimes 1-2 cups a day. It does help especially if you aren't used to drinking it all. It feels like it cleans out your system. In my opinion.

^ THIS is very accurate. It doesn't specifically make you lose weight, it just helps you lose it in a healthier way by making you healthier if that makes sense.
  • cringling
    Options
    Green tea has a lot of caffeine in it and that is why that, along with coffee, helps to move fat into the bloodstream to be used as energy, just make sure you drink a lot of water with it as well, hope this helps!

Jesse Short
    ISSA Certified Personal Trainer

Jesse, so caffeine is in a sense "healthy?" I've been off caffeine 6 days now! What do you think about it?
  • ImNotThatBob
    ImNotThatBob Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I drink several pots per day along with 12 or more cups of water! Sometimes I think it actually helps!
  • feathertouch
    feathertouch Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm a green tea fanatic, I usually drink 3-6 cups a day but still alongside my 8 cups of water a day too. Hasn't done me any harm and I find it great for cleansing. Also I get the de caffeinated green tea :)
  • Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    3 or more per day

And yes, it helps a little with metabolism, and also is a great protector for your body due to the antioxidants.
  • akmett
    akmett Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    It has many health benefits and I enjoy drinking it. One problem that I have is that it lowers your iron. I like to donate blood and kept getting turned down b/c my iron was low until one time they asked if I drank tea and when I said "yes" they told me not to drink it 3 days before donating. It helped. Also low iron means low energy for me.
  • possibri
    possibri Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    It's great for you, and definitely worth drinking! It is packed with antioxidants, and if you brew it yourself then you can make it sugar free, which is definitely the healthiest way to drink it. My nutritionist has been stressing how important it is to have tea daily, so I think it's a smart idea. I also used green tea as a way to wean myself off of diet soda (I sweeten with Stevia), and it has been sooo helpful. Also, helps count towards your water intake, and will help you feel full when you might otherwise reach for a snack.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    s5cku9.gif
  • 2gabbee
    2gabbee Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    My friend owes a Tea shop, Most her teas are purchased from China her home land. Green tea or Oolong helps boost metabolism. Have you noticed in a Chinese restaurant they serve you Green tea before your meal. Drinking hot green tea before & after your meal helps eliminate the grease & fats in the meal. Ginseng green tea gives you energy. So many different types keep trying until you find one you like. I like Iron God, Oolong imperial to name a few.
  • MelBristol
    Options
    I have 1-2 cups every day. I like it with ginseng, the smell is fantastic and some of the twinings varieties, cranberry, lotus and orange flower being my favorites. No sugar. It has many excellent properties people already mentioned.
    The only thing I dislike about it, it stains your teeth, but then so do all coloured foods and drinks. If you like it cold you can use a straw :)
  • gogetter333
    Options
    I find drinking green tea curbs my appetite. This helps because you can eat less, consume a zero calorie drink rather than a 100-200 calorie drink, and your metabolism increases. That's three points that help weight loss - not to mention all the other health benefits.
  • nixism
    nixism Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I find it curbs my appetite a bit too.
    I usually have between 2-4 cups most days.
  • SlimReggieBack
    SlimReggieBack Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Actually it depends on what type of green tea it is because bottle green tea is not good for you its full of sugar and everything else, but homemade green tea is better it contains 0 calories and 0 everything else in it and it boost your metabolism as well.
  • FitSuga
    FitSuga Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I drink 8-16 ounces of green tea each day. Decaf though. I just like tea though.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    It doesn't do crap for weight loss.

If you like it, drink it, but don't hope it's some magical weight-loss aid.
  • jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I drink green tea only as a coffee replacement. I also put 2ml of green tea leaf extract in my homemade protein shakes.
  • xoyasminxo
    xoyasminxo Posts: 132
    Options
    In the cold months, I drink hot green tea 2 times a day. In the warm months, I boil 8 cups of water, add 2 green tea bags, cover and let it sit overnight. I then put it in a pitcher and put it in the refrigerator. If it is too strong for your taste (from steeping overnight), you can dilute it as needed. It lasts me usually 2-3 days. I used to hate green tea until I started making my own fenugreek tea. That tasted so horrible that I added a green tea bag to help with the taste. Now I love green tea!!
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I love green tea! I drink 8-10 cups a day.

I don't think it's a miracle weight loss cure but it does seem to curb my appetite to a degree.

The bottled kind is crap no matter where you get it from. The beneficial elements of the tea start to decline once it's brewed and after 48 hours they are almost gone. When you buy bottled you have no idea how long ago it was brewed so you're drinking sugar water basically.

Adding citrus helps amp up your body's ability to absorb the teas health benefits. (Slice of lemon or whatnot)

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/health-benefits-of-green-tea
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_releases/benefit_of_drinking_green_tea
    http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/green-tea-000255.htm/
    http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/green-tea-benefits/