Quitting Smoking and need help!!!

Options
I've recently quit smoking and I need help with the cravings. I don't need help quitting it's the fact that all I want to do is eat to help suppress the cravings. I've tried gm and that doesn't help. I don't like sunflower seeds so any other suggestions would be great, thanks!!

Replies

• MissySho
    MissySho Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    bumping this for later. i'm trying to quit and the cravings are killer, and i really don't want to put on any extra weight. so this info could be helpfull.
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    bump due to quitting on Friday & will need all the help I can get!!!
  • LishaCole
    LishaCole Posts: 245
    Options
    A friend of mine recently quit, and she took a product called Smoker's Cleanse - by Renew Life. It really helped her! Se said it worked wonders for her cravings and stress. I also noticed she was less irritable hahaha. I don't know if you could find it, or something similar.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I'd read Allen Carr's "Easy Way" book, that deprogrammed me cold-turkey after 20 years of smokes.

You can't crave what you don't want :)

Good luck.
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    I got really lucky. I read somewhere that caffeine can trigger nicotine cravings and that dropping caffeine can make quitting easier by reducing cravings. I gave up Mtn. dew and once I made it 30 days without Mtn Dew, I gave up the cigarettes and it was soooo much easier than it's ever been on any attempt i've ever made before. I have now been 33 days smoke free!!! (yay me!) Also I use chia seeds (don't laugh, just check them out!) and they have really helped.
  • ArtemisMoon
    Options
    Gum perhaps since it is usually no sugar and low cal. Or temporarily try lollipops or other long lasting candies that would give you the most time for the fewest calories. Bad for your teeth and weight long term, but for a while might be a good solution. Also carrot sticks, celery, etc. that you can eat a lot of for few calories.
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    Bump for more responses later. I've quit 18 times in the past week....
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I am so happy you have commited to stopping smoking. Hang in there. YOU can do it and it will get easier over time.
  • Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It's been 22 hours and I want to go on a rampage.

Try www.quit.org.nz it is like this website, only for smoking
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I bought some stir sticks, cut them in half and carried one around for almost six months after quitting cold turkey. It took away the craving to have something in my hand and mouth besides food and a smoke...
    Good luck, it is a tough measure, but it is surmountable my friend,
  • gerripho
    gerripho Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Skye, I just came here and was about to do a search to see if there have been previous posts on this topic. I really need to quit as well. Mostly, I'm trying to get off my meds and the doctor told me that if I quit my BP would probably drop 10 points off the high and 5 points off the low.

Ah, the cravings. One thing for certain is that we can't substitute food for the cigs. I'm going to try to substitute a little exercise instead. Then the other thing is that the nearest store that sells cigs is about a mile away. If I really can't overcome the cravings, I'm at least going to walk there instead of driving. What is scary is that I need to go out tonight with the car. I'm not too sure how I'll manage to keep the car from turning into the store with the cigs. :ohwell: You see, all the rationalization will go on in my head that if I buy a pack and then just limit myself to two or three cigs a day. . . Who's kidding whom?

If anyone out there has tips on getting over the mental hurdles, please share. This is especially tough since I've been a smoker for decades.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Fireballs....the hot candy. We went smoke free on our psych unit, and the pts. prefer these to the gum. Those suckers are hot.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    every time you want a cigarette, do five push ups.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Drinking cold water can help ease the cravings for many people.
  • tcaesar69
    tcaesar69 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do breathing exercises when a craving hits. I stopped drinking when I quit ( 27 days ago) so that had helped with cravings ALOT!!!!! Don't get me wrong when it hits its pretty strong but I try and find other things to occupy my time. Thinking of my uncle ( who passed of lung cancer) seems to snap me out of it too!
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I chewed nicorette gum and it was nasty after about 30 minutes. My craving to smoke was gone and I didn't want to eat anything because of the bad taste in my mouth. Now the wierd thing that works wonders is to cut a straw down to the same size of cigarette you smoked and pick that up and pretend to smoke everytime you want one. You can inhale into it (your just inhaling air) and puff out just like you would a cigarette and that helps as well.

I didn't want to try e-ciggs as I see that as trading one bad habit for another.

Good luck!
  • flyingcarbaccio
    flyingcarbaccio Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I quit in June. I had to break the habit before I completely quit though so I cut down on how many cigarettes I smoked each day. I also refused to go on smoking breaks with coworkers and stopped smoking in my car before I completely quit. I think that was the hardest part for me, giving up the habit. Just remember that a craving only lasts a few minutes. Time it if you need to, but you will make it!
  • hiawathaperez
    hiawathaperez Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have never smoked BUT (always with the big BUT) I have know plenty who have some successful some not.

It is my understanding that vits c with b complex will at least keep your nerves calmer....walk walk walk.

Cant hurt as they are good for you....oh heck might as well take a full bore multi multi with those extra c and b.....
  • eireannyoung
    eireannyoung Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking three weeks ago and I sympathize with the appetite thing! In my case I did need the extra appetite, but it was still super-annoying to be constantly binging all the time and having food cravings even though I wasn't really hungry. However, in my case it went away in a couple weeks. I still have a little bit more of an appetite but nothing out of control like when I first quit. So, I'd just give it time. How about allowing yourself to eat as many fresh fruit and vegetables as you want?
  • gerripho
    gerripho Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I'd read Allen Carr's "Easy Way" book, that deprogrammed me cold-turkey after 20 years of smokes.

You can't crave what you don't want :)

Good luck.

It is now on my Kindle. Thanks!