Doctor's Office Scale

Options
So, I was on a romantic weekend getaway with my husband. I woke up with terrible eye pain. Red, irritated, and weeping. I tried to tough it out but, my husband insisted we go home and I go see a doctor. My husband went into the exam room with me and, I thought that was so sweet until the nurse had me get on the scale. 199.6, I thought I was going to die. I once weighed 247 lbs, managed to lose 87 lbs on weigh watchers. I could not believe I had put 40 lbs back on. My sweet husband says "Don't worry, that scale always weighs me heavy." That was it!!! The wake up call that I needed. I am determined to drop this 40 extra pounds. Any support, motivation, and or suggestions would be appreciated.

Replies

• pattydi
    pattydi Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    First of all I have to say what a wonderful caring husband you have! you are one lucky lady there! You are definately in the right place on MFP! I tried weight watchers myself, and I must say, I lost a little, but lost interest and never really learned how to eat right! Here you have all the tools neccessary and can track everything in one place. You can lose that 40 pounds again! Please feel free to add me if you need some extra friends for motivation.
    Best of luck to you.
    Patty
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Interesting, I've always wondered if weight watchers worked. Well I've weighed 160 for almost 8 years and this past year i gained almost 60 pounds. I'm devastated. I hope I can find support through this board. feel free to add me and good luck!
  • cole_carter
    cole_carter Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree with all the responses above ... your husband sounds very nice.

Also .. I am convinced that doctors scale is biased to add a few lbs on.

You can do it !
  • Anticipated_Serendipity
    Options
    At first I was wondering why the doctor weighed you since you were coming in for your eye, but then I realized that it probably wasn't just an eye doctor, maybe a primary doctor. :S. Working for eye doctors I automatically think how our office works. Bad habit. :P

Either way, your husband sounds very nice to even go in with you and you can lose the 40lbs if you set your mind to it. I wish you the best of luck and feel free to add me if you wish. :)
  • wisters
    wisters Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Ditto to what everyone is saying about you having an awesome husband. They are rare. Also, I might add congrats for even getting on the scale at the doctors office. It is something I simply won't do. You can say no and I have ;-)

Finally, I have to say, you are gorgeous and you can do it!
  • speechsteff
    speechsteff Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Oh my...I so remember weighing in front of my husband when I was getting ready to have our first baby. I had gone through all my O.B appts. with a wonderful nurse that never said the number out loud. When I was checking into the hospital the wicked nurse said the number OUTLOUD and I wanted to jump across the room and claw her eyes out...237...highest ever. I too lost 60 lbs on WW several years ago...then had another baby and have kept about 35 off. Now I need to lose at least 50. I'd love to have you as a friend on here!
  • kimberg75
    kimberg75 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    You've come to the right place! I LOVE this site and can't imagine where I would be if I hadn't found it....I know what you mean about being shocked by the number on the scale. Before I joined this site I hardly ever weighed myself and it didn't take long for the lbs. to pack on!
    You can definitely do this! You will find so much support on here. Feel free to add me as a friend for encouragement! :smile:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I've found Dr office scales to be pretty accurate.

But the weight has never been logged once I've stripped off all the clothes and stepped on. Just a bunch of door slamming and the nurse is gone!

And since for some reason I have to keep getting new Dr's, I've been able to test a bunch of scales that way. Strange how they always seem to put them at the end of long hallway, allows prepping for them easier while walking to them.
  • Dyetcoke1
    Dyetcoke1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My doctors scale I thought was five pounds over, then realized I weigh less in the morning :-). Take it five pounds at a time. If you dont think five pounds is a lot Google a photo of five pounds of fat. I am thinking of buying yellow playdough in bulk and adding the equivalent of five # of fat everytime I lose another 5. Wouldnt that be SO motivating? Loool :-D
  • michelebelle
    michelebelle Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I spent 8 months working hard to lose 40lbs. Then life got in the way and boom..40 lbs plus 10 more over 2 years...It can be a very daunting thought to do it again. I have been finding success only trying to lose 1 lb a week instead of 2. More food, less stress, and 52lbs in a year seems good being that i've been trying to lost it for 2 now.:/
    I am doing a 52 week album for incentive. 1 photo on the same day each week that will show my progress at the end of one year!
    Good luck, feel free to add me!
  • Jomo63
    Jomo63 Posts: 4
    Options
    What's great about myfitnesspal and fitbit is that it keeps it real. The scale usually is a source of truth that we avoid. I do it pretty regularly and of course miss many opportunities as a result.

My biggest goal, way over loosing 30 pounds is not being judgmental of myself. Slowly I'm stripping the old dialogue away but I strongly believe that is one of the keys to sustainable weight loss.

Please feel free to add me as a supportive pal.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I spent 8 months working hard to lose 40lbs. Then life got in the way and boom..40 lbs plus 10 more over 2 years...It can be a very daunting thought to do it again. I have been finding success only trying to lose 1 lb a week instead of 2. More food, less stress, and 52lbs in a year seems good being that i've been trying to lost it for 2 now.:/
    I am doing a 52 week album for incentive. 1 photo on the same day each week that will show my progress at the end of one year!

That is a really cool idea. Beats the scale if exercising a lot, beats measurements since you may not measure the right places, beats the clothe's fit because they will shrink eventually.
    Plus what may not show up week to week sure could easily after 4 wks of comparison.
  • krsloane
    krsloane Posts: 13
    Options
    You sound very similar to me. I wasn't in a doctor's office, but I stepped on a scale in early July and when it said 190, I freaked out. I don't know how I had no idea, but I had no idea. So i decided then and there that something had to be done. On the 17th, I started my journey, and I was 182 this morning. You can do it. It just takes determination. Feel free to add me as a friend if you want to encourage each other.
  • thedancingleper
    thedancingleper Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Doctor's scales destroy your self esteem for the rest of the day. I imagine they are accurate too, which makes it even more depressing.
  • buffyangel2000
    buffyangel2000 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I just have to say I LOVE my drs scale, my scale says I weight 10 pounds more than the one at the drs.
  • wisters
    wisters Posts: 84 Member
    Options

I like your plan :-)
  • MainahGirl
    MainahGirl Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    WW is great I must say, but you won't find the extra support like you do here! Wishing you the best on your weight loss goals. Feel free to add me if you'd like. :)
  • bckick05
    Options
    that is a great idea. I always want to lose it right now...I think I need to stop trying low carb, low fat, shakes, etc..I just need to really eat low fat-high protein-high fiber and eat all food groups. I have been fighting to lose weight for so long. I get on board and then fall off..I need to focus and realize 1lb a week is great. Yes you are right, 52 in a year is great...Not to mention it will probably stay off longer...keep it up...this site is great. I need to get back to being more commited to it...
  • brandipoo
    brandipoo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I saw the doctors scale once, and I was like "BACK, VILE DEMON, STOP YOUR LIES!" You can do it! 1 lb at a time. :)