Too Much Fat% but within Calorie Range?

Options
Can any health guru tell me what, if anything, could happen to the body if your fat intake is higher than your protein and carbs intake but it's within calorie range? Does this negate the entire point of calorie counting? Thanks!

Replies

• flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know too. I generally follow a high protein, low carb diet so my fat is always a little high.
  • teenamai
    teenamai Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Good question! I'd like to know too!
  • DraoMhaigh
    DraoMhaigh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Bump.
    My fat is constantly high I worry it's affecting my weight loss rate.
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    As long as you've got a consistent caloric deficit, teamed with adequate protein intake, and the fats you're taking in are at least mostly 'good' fats, you've got nothing to worry about.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Eating fat won't make you fat (in the sense of gaining weight) any more than eating money will make you rich. If you're in a caloric deficit, you'll lose weight.

Beyond pure weight loss, we can discuss the topics of adequate nutrition and effects upon body composition, which are a different matter. If your fat intake grossly exceeds your protein and carb intake, there's a chance that you're not getting an abundance of the nutrients you need. There could also be a chance (depending on your ratios/level of intake) that you have a less than optimal protein intake, which could lead to an increased percentage of your weight loss being lean body mass (i.e., muscle).

If it's a once in a while thing, I wouldn't sweat it too much. If you're doing it every day, it might not be a bad idea to re-evaluate your diet.
  • frenchy2010
    Options
    So *hypothetically*, if I ate just a bunch of almonds, which have protein, all day plus a few tablespoons of flaxseed oil, but was within my calorie range this would be okay?
  • frenchy2010
    Options
    Eating fat won't make you fat (in the sense of gaining weight) any more than eating money will make you rich. If you're in a caloric deficit, you'll lose weight.

Beyond pure weight loss, we can discuss the topics of adequate nutrition and effects upon body composition, which are a different matter. If your fat intake grossly exceeds your protein and carb intake, there's a chance that you're not getting an abundance of the nutrients you need. There could also be a chance (depending on your ratios/level of intake) that you have a less than optimal protein intake, which could lead to an increased percentage of your weight loss being lean body mass (i.e., muscle).

If it's a once in a while thing, I wouldn't sweat it too much. If you're doing it every day, it might not be a bad idea to re-evaluate your diet.

Okay gotchya. Thanks!
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    So *hypothetically*, if I ate just a bunch of almonds, which have protein, all day plus a few tablespoons of flaxseed oil, but was within my calorie range this would be okay?

I eat very similar things. I also eat a lot of coconut butter and nut butters. I keep hearing all these things are good fats but I have no real clue as to what that really means. also some of my MFP friends follow a very low fat diet and have great losses so it made me wonder about what I'm eating!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of fat in the almonds already, so you can probably pass on the flaxseed oil in any case.

The above wouldn't make you fat, but obviously isn't giving you the full range of nutrients.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options

yeah, it would for weight loss purposes.

Probably wouldn't be all that nutritious though.
  • mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    If you're getting your nutrients then don't worry about it. Calories matter when it comes to weight. Arguably fat is a cleaner burning fuel source than carbs but carbs are generally considered better for intensive exercise so do whatever fits your lifestyle.

As was said previously, fat isn't bad and wont make you fat... but all fats weren't created equal
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    The only range I try to stick to religiously is not going over on sodium...everything else going over/under has not seemed to affect loss and there seems to be some wiggle room with percentages.
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I've read a little bit about this, but I'm not qualified to give a "real" opinion. But here is my 2 cents worth:

I've read that while it is more important to keep you saturated fat under 10% of your calories, if you total fat goes above 30% to 35% much of the time it could have negative health consequences. (I've also read in places that I consider slightly less reliable that as long as you are eating high protein it doesn't matter.)

(To get the percentage of your calories that are from fat, multiply the number of fat grams you ate by 9, and then divide that number by the total number of calories you ate.)

I've read in numerous places, and several studies, that weight loss is not affected by the ratio of fats/proteins/carbs that you eat, ONLY by the total number of calories.

However, I've also read one large study that said that for folks who were not exercising regularly how much fat and protein they ate while losing weight had a very significant effect on their lean body mass over time. People eating a low calorie, high fat and low protein diet, after several months, had reduced X amount of pounds and reduced their body fat by Y amount, and their lean body mass by Z amount. People eating a low calorie, high fat and high protein diet, after several months, reduced X amount of pounds, and reduced their body fat percentage by Y+1 and decreased their lean body mass by Z-1.

Does that makes sense? I don't remember the exact numbers or have a link for the study.

Mostly what it meant was that when folks didn't exercise but ate a higher fat, lower protein diet, they lost more muscle, along with their fat loss, even though their total weight loss was identical, when compared to a group eating a high fat diet that was also high protein.

What this meant in the long run was that the folks eating more protein had a higher metabolism than the other folks and weren't as likely to gain their lost weight back.

But other than that, every single thing I've read says that no matter what your ratio is, if you eat at a deficit, you will lose weight.

I take that back... I just read a book by Suzanne Sommers where she talks about the importance of not eating carbs and protein in the same meals because of how that changes insulin levels. She says that for many women, eating carbs and protein together, even if they eat at a deficit, will cause slow or no weight loss. I suspect some of what she say right up to a point. Working with our hormones and all that can only aid in weight loss, but the fact remains that all people will eventually starve if they don't eat enough, even if they eat a stick of butter every single day.