Those doing C25K-what other workouts do you do?

Options
I've still got 3 weeks left of the C25K program, and really want to stick with it 3 days a week. What workout routines are you doing in conjunction with running? Have done JM 30DS, thinking about doing Rushfit since he has 2-3 days cardio already worked in. Suggestions?

Replies

• 13directions
    Options
    I don't have suggestions (sorry!); I've actually been wondering the same thing. I usually do an extra day of the previous week's Cto5K or just walk for 1/2 hour. I've also been doing some ab & arm work at home. I'd like to add some yoga, too. Still - would love to see what others suggest!
  • trizzell79
    trizzell79 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    For now I'm only doing c25k, but I should add some weights on my days in between. I'm thinking of maybe a free weights routine focusing mostly on upper body, I feel like my legs are ok with just the running for now. And yoga... Yes!! I need to incorporate that again, it feels so good mentally and physically!
  • LazyHairyBear
    LazyHairyBear Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I try and get to the gym twice a week to compliment the C25K and I tend to concentrate on slightly different things. I warm up on the Elliptical or AMT then use the rowing machine for around 20 minutes to work the arms and the back, I do some simple resistance training (leg push, chest push and seated row) and finish the workout with a 18 minutes workout on the cycle doing the "Cross country".

I just try to work arms and muscles not being widely used while doing the C25K.
  • leopard_barbie
    leopard_barbie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I do JM Ripped in 30 on alternate days. I've finished c25k and am now doing 10k trainer but it's the same idea :)
  • centralvicgirl
    centralvicgirl Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am in W4 of C25K. Before I began, I'd already been doing 1 x boxercise class and 1 x spin class each week for 9 months. The spin class especially helps loosen up any leg pains from running and it's low impact. The boxercise usually works my top half harder than my lower half, so doesn't clash too badly with running.
  • Animaniac87
    Options
    I swim laps on my off days from the C25k. I run Monday, Wednesday, Friday for 30-60 minutes, and on Tuesday and Thursdays I swim laps for an hour. Then use Saturday and Sundays as my rest days for the week.
    I swim because swimming elongates muscles while running makes bulky muscles, hopefully this way I'll have the best of both worlds (Fingers crossed)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I do:
    C25K Sun, Tues., Thurs
    Weight training Mon, Wed, Fri
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I swim laps on my off days from the C25k. I run Monday, Wednesday, Friday for 30-60 minutes, and on Tuesday and Thursdays I swim laps for an hour. Then use Saturday and Sundays as my rest days for the week.
    I swim because swimming elongates muscles while running makes bulky muscles, hopefully this way I'll have the best of both worlds (Fingers crossed)

I'm sorry, but you are way off base here.

Swimming does not elongate the muscles and running does not make bulky muscles.

The only way to get bulky muscles while doing distance running, is to lift heavy, eat at a calorie surplus and use steroids.. and if you aren't doing any of those things, then you won't see bulky muscles.