Can I count sweating on a hot day as exercise?

Options
I know, I know. It sounds silly and nit-picky. But I mean it!

My body *must* be expending energy trying to cool itself while sitting in 94 degree heat and sweating through my clothes. I know in my heart I'm burning something. Can I count it? Do any of you count it? How much?

thanks for the input!

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Only if you're doing housework
  • MMMendoza007
    MMMendoza007 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Lagniappe: something given or obtained gratuitously or by way of good measure.

That is what I consider those "extra" burns. I don't count them.

For instance, I work outdoors all day. Constantly in and out of my vehicle, walking sites, climbing stairs. I don't count that stuff, but it gives me a good feeling to know that I'm doing things to help myself.

:happy:
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options

My body *must* be expending energy trying to cool itself while sitting in 94 degree heat and sweating through my clothes. I know in my heart I'm burning something. Can I count it? Do any of you count it? How much?

thanks for the input!

No you dont, Youre being sarcastic. Or at least I hope you are. The internets is a confusing place.
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    You're so pretty :tongue:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Your body expends energy 24/7, even if you're in a coma (your BMR). If sweat = calories burned I'd already be skinny.
  • heddy90
    heddy90 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Everything burns calories.. You can't count every litte thing that burns them, they're a part of your everyday life.. You wouldn't add "breathing" to your exercise now, would you?
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options

thanks for the input!

They are offset by the calories you're not burning because you're not too cold

BMR is the calories you burn keeping your body alive. A big part of that is keeping your body at the right temperature, so whether you're too hot or too cold, you'll be burning pretty much the same staying cool or staying warm. So no, don't count it, because it's already been counted in your BMR calories.
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Be joking please
  • jesshall281
    Options
    I live in South Africa, and have not lost any weight as the result of sweating.
  • schmorla
    schmorla Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Wow. Just wow.
  • BobbieLee1959
    BobbieLee1959 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    We burn calories 24/7. The rate at which we burn is what constitutes the burn as "exercise". Sitting and burning in the heat is the same as sitting and burning in air conditioning. If you get up and walk, run, bike or move, you will increase the rate at which you burn.

The calories you are burning sitting in the heat are already calculated in your BMR, therefore counting this is like saying you are burning double. Don't try logging these calories as a burn or you will only be cheating yourself. Get off the buns, honey, if you want to log it!
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I would not attempt to account for that. I don't count regular daily activities as part of my exercise (cleaning, walking around work/home, etc.). If I burn more calories during that stuff, great, but I'm not going to artificially change my numbers - it isn't going to help the scale/my fitness in the end.
  • 5tephoscope
    5tephoscope Posts: 32 Member
    Options

thanks for the input!

They are offset by the calories you're not burning because you're not too cold

BMR is the calories you burn keeping your body alive. A big part of that is keeping your body at the right temperature, so whether you're too hot or too cold, you'll be burning pretty much the same staying cool or staying warm. So no, don't count it, because it's already been counted in your BMR calories.

good point!