Ladies: All Female or Co-Ed Gym?

Options

Replies

• cybelenoire
    cybelenoire Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm part of a co-ed gym right now and I feel a little..eh going near the men's domain (weights, machines), but I like biking and soon to go on the row machine, but I'm always self-conscious about trying out new machines in front of people in general.. I don't know why. That's why I like to have my hubby with me lol. If I had a workout buddy, I would feel a lot better and not as insecure. But with the things I do now, I don't feel self-conscious bc I'm comfortable with what I use. I feel stupid when I don't know how to use something.. trying to break that habit and act like I don't care, ha.

Sorry, I hope I made some sense :)

You made total sense!

I was afraid of the weights at first. The serious guys are pretty intimidating. I started out on machines about two months into my membership. I haven't made my way into the free weights yet. But I will.

I've always been more self conscious doing ab work though. I think I'm more comfortable now that my abs are a bit stronger (even if they're still buried under fat) from dancing and yoga. I did my first pushups and planks in plain view of some of the guys the other day, and I thank everything for the vinyasa I've been practicing.
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I've heard mixed things about female gyms. I've never been to one because the ones around me don't have everything I want and need out of a gym.

The gym I go to is a bit of a yuppie gym but I've never had trouble with the guys... I just tend to avoid them, especially the ones that clearly think they're amazing. If they were all that fantastic they'd be at a gym that was more concerned about lifting rather than a female dominated gym.
  • EllieOReily
    Options
    I preferred Fernwood over my Co-Ed gym. Essendon football players would come in and work out, which while being awesome to look at, would make me really self concious and avoid using equipment near them.

But I don't really like gyms. I prefer to just do my own walking/work out DVDs for free and at home.
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I've used both and I greatly prefer the all-females gym. I just feel really uncomfortable working out around men. Yes, some (most) people at the gym can be supportive, but I feel like I haven't yet reached that level of self-confidence to 'not care' about the few negative snickers. I know myself and one negative comment or giggle while I huff and puff and it would be enough to scare me away from the place. I like feeling 'at home' at my gym. I'm lucky enough to have a womens only gym that still has all the amenities, classes and weights that would be offered at a co-ed.

Maybe one day when I feel better in my skin I'll venture into one of my gyms co-ed branches, but for now women's only all the way.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym on campus, which is obviously a co-ed gym. I've never had any problems with going to a co-ed gym, even though I am a weight lifting enthusiast. I do recognize that I'm one of the only females in the free weight sections, but I've never been too intimidated to do it. Yes, the guys there are a lot stronger than me, and a lot more fit than me, but I don't let that bother me. When I started working out, I was around 220 lbs, so that did make me worried that other people will judge me. As I said on several other threads to people who had a similar fear, I've never had anything bad said about me by a fit person, it was always the other overweight people. And, most times, they don't even say anything because they're in their own little world.
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    My old gym used to have both. A co-ed side and a women's only side. I'm not terribly self concious so I've always just went in the co-ed area when I started. But the women's side is good if they feel intimidated. But the equipment is always limited in those areas.
  • TXGirl821
    TXGirl821 Posts: 115
    Options
    I go to a co-ed gym and I get SO MUCH support from the men there! The women are nice too, but the men I've met have been my biggest cheering squad at the gym.

I don't think I could go to an all female gym because I feel like I'd be more self conscious, but I've never tried one, so I couldn't say for sure.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I go to a co-ed gym and I get SO MUCH support from the men there! The women are nice too, but the men I've met have been my biggest cheering squad at the gym.

I don't think I could go to an all female gym because I feel like I'd be more self conscious, but I've never tried one, so I couldn't say for sure.

For some reason, this made me think of the time I was doing incline crunches and farted really loud. The guys in the gym laughed so hard about that. I don't think that would happen at a ladies only gym.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don't think it would matter to me one way or the other... I don't really see the point in going to an all-women gym though. Actually, I think if I joined an all-women gym that would be nice because not very many women use the free weight section so I would probably never have to wait for anything :-p

But anyway it doesn't matter to me as long as they have the equipment and services that I need.
  • TXGirl821
    TXGirl821 Posts: 115
    Options

For some reason, this made me think of the time I was doing incline crunches and farted really loud. The guys in the gym laughed so hard about that. I don't think that would happen at a ladies only gym.

LOL!!! I would have laughed! But that reminds me of the time I was in an all female yoga class and the woman next to me farted. AND NO ONE LAUGHED. Every ounce of willpower I will ever have in my life was used up in getting through that class. But I am all about the 12 year old boy humor.
  • Kotek1985
    Kotek1985 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I used to go to Fernwood (all girls gym) and more the most part I enjoyed it. No one bothers you or makes you feel out of place. Most girls, including myself, have their headphones in doing their own thing. Free-weights were aplenty but some of the machines were in the PT only area which was a little annoying. It's like we weren't trusted with them.

I've since cancelled my membership cause it wasn't worth the money for the amount of times I was going (which seemed to forever be getting less and less). Now I just do my own thing. Looking forward to daylight savings were I can start going to evening walks again
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Done both and I didn't care for the women's gym I had access to- the machines weren't as nice. It really ticked me off.
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Co-ed all the way, show those boys what you're made of!
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I'm all for the ladies only gym. I can't stand being hit on or followed to my car just because I want to work out.

I went to a really nice all ladies gym in the town I used to live in. I LOVED it and I still miss it. I looked at gyms in my new area but they were all co-ed and I'm too intimidated by them :-(.

It sounds like you just had a bad experience with your female only gym. Mine was nice and would have been even if it were co-ed.

I'm glad you're comfortable and enjoy your new gym. That's all that matters.
  • MsTonyaRenee
    MsTonyaRenee Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I like my co-ed gym. People of all ages, shapes, sizes. I do admit that the weight area is intimidating to me mostly because I have no clue what I am doing yet. I've only ever felt weirded out once or twice by a male member and never to the point I was scared to go alone. I've actually become good friends with a few men and women that work out at the same times as I do :)
  • ronitabur
    ronitabur Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    You're not weird! I love the co-ed gym! Sometimes I enjoy working out around the focused energy of the men in the freeweight section of the gym and other times I enjoy the fun aloofness of the women in classes.

BTW - Taking classes and mixing things up constantly is great for your body!

I should mention that my gym is a YMCA - where they have a dress code and code of conduct. So women don't strut around with bare midriffs and, since kids go there (Although they are not allowed in the workout area until they are 14.), the guys are not cussing or acting blatently inappropriate.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I've mostly been a member of co-ed gyms, as that is all that was available in most places I've lived. I wasn't even aware that all-female gyms existed until a friend joined one once, and persuaded me to join. I remember thinking an all-female gym was pointless, but I actually found I really liked it. Mostly for sensory reasons - it smelt better and cleaner than co-ed gyms. Men working out tend to smell stronger than women. And it was more colourful - most gyms seem to be black and grey, but this gym had a lot of colours - pink, purple, turquoise. Stereotypical female colours, but still - I like colourful surroundings. I'm aware these reasons are superficial, but they made a huge difference to my experience of being at the gym. I was very comfortable there.

I think, too, I tend to feel a bit intimidated in gyms where there are huge muscly men doing enormous weights - I tend to avoid the area where that is happening, because that seems to be the heavyweight male area, and I feel I don't belong there! But in the all-female gym, although there were some strong women doing weights I wouldn't be able to do, it was a different vibe - it felt more normal, more something I could relate to, something I could potentially do myself once I got fitter. There were no areas where I felt I didn't belong, if that makes sense.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I belong currently to a co-ed gym, and I really love it. For me it wasn't co-ed vs. all-female it was finding a small gym with none of the "flashy" folks there. There are serious weight lifters, people trying to get fit, fit people keeping fit, but all of us are there for a workout and not to hook up or socialize (and that's not to say that it is unfriendly, but no one is sitting around chatting on the machines). I love it so much more than when I belonged to the bigger (and more expensive) gym in the area because no one is at my current gym to "be seen."

I don't mind working out with men around, and I've never felt intimidated around anyone at the gym.
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Im thinking of joining a gym soon and would not consider an all female gym .. most women in the gyms have the snotty, catty attitude .. whereas men dont give a *kitten* ... at least where I used to go that's how it was ...
  • head_in_rainbows
    head_in_rainbows Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Co-ed for me. First of all I can oggle hot guys + seeing tonned girls working out gives me motivation and hope that soon that will be me :)