Equipment for home gym

Options
Just wondering what people would recommend for a home gym, it will be for me and my 16yr old son to use. thanks for any advice

Replies

• shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    in my house we have a treadmill free weights a weight bench a recumbent bike and an ab roller... this is why i dont have a gym membership despite my friends encouraging me to get one lol
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    im also intending to prod for an elliptical at some point i loved the one i used to have
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    power rack with pull up bar and dip station attachments, adjustable bench, olympic bar, lots of weight plates, weight plate tree, floor padding, a copy of Starting Strength
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Squat rack, flat bench, bar/plates, pull-up station (if squat rack doesn't have pull-up handles/attachment).
  • Josedavid
    Josedavid Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I would recommend TRX, swiss ball and a chin up bar :)
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    power rack with pull up bar and dip station attachments, adjustable bench, olympic bar, lots of weight plates, weight plate tree, floor padding, a copy of Starting Strength

that's it
  • agriffiths73
    agriffiths73 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? You could have all the gym kit in the world, but whether it's what you want or need is another thing entirely.

Agree what you want to achieve, look at the muscle groups you're likely to use and then you can make a better decision on the kit to buy.

If you already have a bike, you can get a stand for it with adjustable resistance, a stepper instead of a cross trainer to start you off, maybe an incline bench and some free weights. Build up the stuff in line with how your needs may change.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I have purchased and sold stuff for home many times, given it away, etc...........I am not a workout at home type...........i would suggest getting something small to start, a dumbbell set (adjustable) and a crunch ball to do DB work on...........see if you use it, if you do.............then upgrade.

I have bought cable crossovers, cages, benches, and I am not motivated to workout at home, i need to walk into a gym, so before you spend a lot.............see if you will use it first.
  • ScubyUK
    ScubyUK Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells of various weights. Take a class or two to learn correct form and some basics so as not to injure yourself and swing away.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Don't miss that she said it is for her AND her 16 yo son. A 16yo boy's goals should be to get big and strong, hence everything needed for a beginner strength routine.
  • RenovatingSuzanne
    Options
    We have a treadmill, a stationary bike, two bike trainers so we can put our regular bikes on them too, loads of yoga / pilates stuff (balls, mats medicine balls), a total gym, something called a Leg Magic for inner and outer thighs and we're going to get a rebounder. Probably not stuff a 16 y/0 would want (rebounder and leg magic) but great for a well rounded workout.

Love the total gym. It can do at least 50 exercises on it and it isn't massive and folds down.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Exercise/yoga mat. Dumbells, skiipping rope, hand supports for push ups. Maybe a bench, Done.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of things I own but don't use. I would say that for MY needs, the ideal gym would consist of a suspension trainer, some plyo boxes of various heights, kettlebells of various weights, a sandbag training kit, a jump rope, a swiss ball, adjustable dumbbells, a bench, and a swiss ball.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    a roommate that's really into fitness.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

^This would be all I would need! I am curious as to the goals for both you and your son, as they may be different. He is 16? Is he preparing for football and/or something of that nature? Then the above is about all he will need. Do you do strength training and aim to lift heavy, then this is all you guys need! These can be bought new, bought at craigslist, even built!

Now if your goals are more cardio minded, then you need to look into the cardio equipment that would best serve. It all depends on what your (and your sons) goals are. If he is training for strength and you are training to run marathons and don't plan on strength training, this needs to be kept in consideration.
  • jaynemaria
    jaynemaria Posts: 58 Member
    Options

^This would be all I would need! I am curious as to the goals for both you and your son, as they may be different. He is 16? Is he preparing for football and/or something of that nature? Then the above is about all he will need. Do you do strength training and aim to lift heavy, then this is all you guys need! These can be bought new, bought at craigslist, even built!

Now if your goals are more cardio minded, then you need to look into the cardio equipment that would best serve. It all depends on what your (and your sons) goals are. If he is training for strength and you are training to run marathons and don't plan on strength training, this needs to be kept in consideration.

HI, My goals are to tone up all over, having lost all this weight. My son is overweight and has started to lose weight and wants to get fit,along side his weight loss.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

this...

Check craigslist for some decent equipment. I started my home gym with an olympic weight set and a cheap rack.

the weight loss is all diet. He just needs to eat well and stay active.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Dead on. I'd get some adjustable dumbbells too if you can swing it.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

HI, My goals are to tone up all over, having lost all this weight. My son is overweight and has started to lose weight and wants to get fit,along side his weight loss.

Then I highly recommend what I originally quoted! Learn how to lift (starting strength, stronglifts 5x5) heavy weights and you will both reach your goals!